Help in deciding routers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ajinkya.jin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 18:00    Post subject: Help in deciding routers Reply with quote
Confused between Netgear R7000,R7500,R8000 and Asus AC68U.
Which of these router is the best in terms of stable DD-WRT support,range and speed.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
well it seems R8000 is not yet supported, but the other routers you ve mentioned are well supported....
Range, it depends if you live in wide open areas or concrete
block, you have to have that in mind all the routers have,
certain power limit to transmit so range is quite similar,
regarding the nowadays units...
Stability, it depends for what, most of the builds can handle normal usage and certain builds have some special features, so if you need it for dally use DD-WRT works quite
well..
Speed, speed depends on many factors, but shortly from CPU, and WI-FI radio, so better CPU will get you better WAN speed...
I personally dont have experience with Broadcom units but i know they are very capable regarding WAN speed...
You can search in Atheros, Marave, and Broadcom for recommended router and the current best available firmware
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/ current firmware site
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well it seems R8000 is not yet supported, but the other routers you ve mentioned are well supported....

Not exactly... Last I heard 5ghz only works on the r7500 if its v2 hardware, unless this has changed.

In terms of processors, the rt-ac68u is the slowest, at 800mhz dual core. There is an rt-ac68p that runs at 1ghz, putting it on par with the r7000. This may or may not matter, depending on your connection speed and extra features you plan to run.

Are you open to other options? I've read good things about a few Linksys models. The ea8500 is supposed to be quite powerful, though I think devs are still working through a few bugs. I saw it on groupon yesterday for $165. I've read great things on here about the wrt1900ac as well. I think there are 3 versions with the SoC running at different speeds, but they're all faster than any of the supported broadcom models last I checked. The wrt1200ac has similar internals, but less streams on each channel, so WiFi speeds aren't rated as high. Its also only about 2/3 the price though.

When looking at new equipment, I don't really recommend the latest and greatest just to "future proof", as you'll pay twice as much to be one year ahead, and it takes the devs some time to get the new routers working properly anyway.
ajinkya.jin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I have narrowed down to R7000 vs AC68U.
I just want a router with maximum range,good WAN-LAN,LAN-WLAN throughput and also it should continue to work for some years without going kaput Very Happy(yeah,I'll be running it 24x7 with some occasional sundays off).

About the linksys one suggested above isn't available in my country(India),although Linksys WRT1900AC is available,but its above my budget($320 or INR22000).Is it any good?What about TP-Link Archer C9?
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've read good things about the wrt1900ac, but I would have trouble spending that much on a router.

I have no experience with the c9, but I've been happy with any other tp-link gear I've used, ranging from cheap USB adapters to smb routers and switches. I think the c9 has less flash than the others you're looking at, so it will likely be missing a few features in comparison. If I had to guess, I'm guessing its missing transmission bittorrent client and lighttpd webserver, maybe something else as well.

I read some comments about Asus using cheap parts a while back, but I have no idea if its valid. The r7000 is well supported, as Kong has one. It seems to be one of the first reported devices on new build threads.

Beyond that, what do you consider "good" WAN-LAN and LAN-WLAN? My tp-link archer c7 has been extremely reliable, though the slower single core CPU really shows under load. That being said, its probably cheaper, its likely available (since I can even find it here in Vietnam), and range is solid. I covered a 7 floor concrete/brick/rebar building with 4 of them. 2.4ghz was everywhere, and 5ghz didn't quite reach the corners on floors without APs. Both would reach 150+m into the park across the street and I could browse without issues on my phone.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ajinkya.jin wrote:
So I have narrowed down to R7000 vs AC68U.
I just want a router with maximum range,good WAN-LAN,LAN-WLAN throughput and also it should continue to work for some years without going kaput Very Happy(yeah,I'll be running it 24x7 with some occasional sundays off).

About the linksys one suggested above isn't available in my country(India),although Linksys WRT1900AC is available,but its above my budget($320 or INR22000).Is it any good?What about TP-Link Archer C9?

I have an R6250 and bought an Archer C8 "thinking" that it would be a great upgrade. I have followed mostly all R7000 threads, they are very stable and you have plenty of options, ddwrt BS or Kong build, Tomato, etc, you can go back to stock freely and so on.

Archer C8 was my worst buy, ddwrt-wise speaking, since I can't go back to stock given that there is no webrevert yet and forum support is very poor(meaning, very few people have it). C9 has better support than C8 here on the forum, quite some people have this router, it is a bit tricky to go back to stock and you probably brick it trying to do so.

In conclusion, if I were you I wouldn't buy TPLINK except C7(way lower class that what you want to buy), and from those 2 you said I would go for R7000 since it has a more powerful CPU than ASUS's.

Apart from that you could check on this web that has excellent reviews and places those 2 on 1st and 2nd spot:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view
ajinkya.jin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright,I'm inclining towards R7000 seeing that it costs $210 vs $315 for the Asus's AC68U(don't know why its price is skyrocketing here in India) and what about the TX power of both these routers,how much is it?
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ajinkya.jin wrote:
Alright,I'm inclining towards R7000 seeing that it costs $210 vs $315 for the Asus's AC68U(don't know why its price is skyrocketing here in India) and what about the TX power of both these routers,how much is it?

I have no personal experienced nice with the r7000, but it seems to be a wise choice. It has been on dd-wrt for quite some time, many users own it, and Kong seems to personally address any issues on builds for it pretty quickly.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually the new revisions of the rt-ac68u have a 1ghz cpu, like the r7000. I know as I have one.
The Asus is harder to brick, as it comes with a recovery mode and firmware flashing utility.
You may find you like the Asus firmware better. It's so good, especially the RMerlin builds that people use it on the r7000.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Actually the new revisions of the rt-ac68u have a 1ghz cpu, like the r7000. I know as I have one.
The Asus is harder to brick, as it comes with a recovery mode and firmware flashing utility.
You may find you like the Asus firmware better. It's so good, especially the RMerlin builds that people use it on the r7000.

Yeah, but it's not available in India.Limited to US only, I think.

Which of these are easy to unbrick as I have no experience with serial/jtag.
Is it safe to overclock 68u to 1Ghz?
Also tell me the TX power of both R7000 and ac68u.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Asus is the easiest to unbrick. My rt-ac68u came from the factory clocked at 1ghz.
The new models do.

Last edited by Malachi on Thu Apr 28, 2016 19:34; edited 2 times in total
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The chip handles 1ghz no problem, but watch your temps. My ac1450 got up to 88c @800mhz (stock), so I actually under clocked for a while. I cut open the back and added a case fan. Now its OCed 1ghz and hasn't gone above 62.5c, and its fairly hot and humid now here in Hanoi. From what I've seen, cooling can vary from device to device, not just model to model.
ajinkya.jin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got an Asus AC68U since it got cheaper at $200.The hardware rev. is C1 so its 1GHz CPU.
Came with the firmware ver. 3.0.0.4.380.2717,while setting up got a popup to install latest firmware i.e 3.0.0.4.380.3264,went ahead with the update.Tried to install Merlin-wrt but failed so I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.380.2717 then it installed fine.
But then thought of trying DD-WRT,downloaded the latest beta but sadly I couldn't install it with a popup saying firmware upgrade unsuccessful.
Tried installing through CFE and Asus Firmware restoration utility but that gave me bootloop.
Although Merlin-WRT 380.59 works,but I really want DDWRT.Bought this router specially for this reason.

So,any way to install DD-WRT on my shiny new router.I really want it Confused
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to be sure, did you reset before and after flashing? Flash via CFE again, and try a 30-30-30 before and after. That's what it took on the rt-n12 I helped a friend with recently. Some routers seem to be more temperamental than others when it comes to flashing.
ajinkya.jin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
Just to be sure, did you reset before and after flashing? Flash via CFE again, and try a 30-30-30 before and after. That's what it took on the rt-n12 I helped a friend with recently. Some routers seem to be more temperamental than others when it comes to flashing.

Couldn't reset from GUI as it was bootlooping after I installed ddwrt on it.But I pressed reset button on the back-nothing happened.
Also I did clear NVRAM too by holding wps while switching on-Same thing i.e nothing happened.
Will try 30-30-30 and get back.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: