DHCP/DNS problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
coderwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47    Post subject: DHCP/DNS problems Reply with quote
This is another attempt at posting. If something is wrong please let me know before deleting. As I stated in a different post, I can not fix what I do not know is wrong.

I am running DDWRT V24-sp2 mega of ddwrt. I had a failure that caused me to have to factory reset the switch. My configuration backup file was corrupt. So, I am having to rebuild the config by hand.

My DD-wrt DHCP is configured to hand out a max of 150 ip addresses. I have also setup a DHCP pool of over 100 MACs. All clients on my network are set to use DHCP(over 90% of the MACs are already in the pool). I am using OpenDNS as my DNS provider. Client types include embedded linux devices (IOT), stereo equipment, TVs, gaming systems, Windows clients, linux clients, etc...

I am running a star architecture across multiple rooms in my house. There is at most 4 hops between any 2 given points on the network. On the rebuild, I am currently having several problems.

Problem 1) IP addresses are being delivered randomly(it appears) by DHCP. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to what gets an ip address and what does not. I have moved devices from multiple wired hops away from the ddwrt router, to being wired directly to the ddwrt router with no change in delivery of the ip addresses. Being sure to use a wire that has previously delivered the ip address and also carried network traffic).

Probably the most stark comparison that points this problem out is I have 2 android devices(phones) that are connected to an AP (3 hops away from the DDWRT switch). Both are connecting to the AP. One is picking up its IP address fine. the other is connecting but not getting any ip address. Both are the same Android release configured the identically for that WIFI AP.

I can not think of any troubleshooting technique that would point any further to potential issues here.

Problem 2) On the devices that are getting an ip addresses, for some reason the router is inserting itself as the primary DNS address. It is not running an DNS server internal though. I have Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) -> Static DNS 1/Static DNS 2 containing the OpenDNS ips. The Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup -> Router IP -> Local DNS are all 0's

I am at a loss to explain both of these issues. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
coderwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many of the devices I am not getting ips for are on the pool list at current. and I have not handed out enough addresses(per the Status->Lan -> DHCP Clients list). I have actually seen some appipa addresses pop up in the Status->Lan -> Active Clients List... (these had no user interface for me to check), I presume they had no network access because they were on a different LAN segment.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you don't have another device trying to hand out DHCP on your LAN.
Make sure your assigned IPs are in fact within range of whatever you have set as LAN in router.
Google a subnet calculator if using an odd subnet mask.
Once things are setup in router you will need to reboot it so old DHCP cache can be cleared..
Probably good idea to reboot devices also or have them off until router is booted.
Start with only a few assigned leases to try track down what problem is.
Router giving its IP as DNS for device behind it is normal ---
if openDNS is set in router like you say:
Devices get their DNS from router's IP which is actually the DNS you have set in it.
If the router doing DHCP & DNS is actually the gateway you should also put its IP in the 'gateway' slot.

This is somewhat of a concern -
'My DD-wrt DHCP is configured to hand out a max of 150 ip addresses. I have also setup a DHCP pool of over 100 MACs.'
I remember from past dd-wrt builds that the DNSmasq conf file would take what you have set on main page...
say a max of 150 for DHCP but it would also add whatever you put in as static leases ... showing some
ungodly number as max DHCP ...so that might be some confusion there if you are using a 255.255.255.0
subnetmask where 253 would be max possible. Actually that is still the case on atheros units with the latest build but
causes no problem for me --- the dns.conf file just says something that is impossible but it works anyways ....but
------- Hence most say to set your static leases outside of what your DHCP is set at .. but of course you would still
have to stay within the subnet range Smile

You also mention a different LAN segment -- different subnet / different DHCP server???

Also remember when you go to plugging/unplugging/connecting wireless and what not -- the devices will
have different MACs for wireless that they have for ethernet.

I reckon if you recheck your settings and reboot things it'll prolly work out -
If you can't get any idea from this then post in the appropriate forum listing you exact router model and the
exact dd-wrt build you are using and list settings --- pictures work real good too... that'll help us see what's what.
good luck -
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the wrong forum. Please read the first post in this forum and follow the direction there.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: