TP-Link Archer C7 (ac1750) and Fritz!Box 7390

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kite wrote:
B@R wrote:
It seams, that you should ask help from "local wizard"....

Could you please clarify this point?
Do you mean I have to find someone in my city that can help me? Smile

Sure.
If you have serious problem in your home, you call plumber or electrician for example. Why can't you ask the local network/computer guru to set all up? It is normally, I think.
Sponsor
Kite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I received the following email from my ISP:

Quote:
Hello,

I am contacting you regarding your request for information about the compatibility of a TP-Link AC1750 with our services.

Unfortunately I have to regret that the indicated router would not be compatible with our services due to the lack of VLAN Support.

If you wish to, you can always check our website for routers we can provide.
http://internet.lu/internet/equipements.html

I called the technical support of my ISP.

The guy told me I need a router that support the VLAN configuration (So to connect to internet via the LAN1 port, if I well understand).

He also said that if I'm not using a fritz!box (i.e. the one they are selling) I have to attach a modem (that support VLAN as well) to the TP-LINK MC220L and then the router to the modem via the LAN1 port.

That means I have first to find a modem that can works with my configuration and then a router that supports the VLAN conf.

But that also means that although I will successed to put the fritz in bridge mode, the archer c7 will still not work (as it hasn't the VLAN configuration support).

Is it right? Or they are cheating me only to sell (or rent) me a fritz?

I remember I read a post somewhere regarding the VLAN configuration (in that post the guy was talking about VLAN7 and VLAN10) in the dd-wrt firmware, but not really remember if it was related to the archer c7 or not.

Last thing, I know it's not the correct forum where to ask, but do you think the freetz firmware (freetz.org) will be a good option to consider instead of buying another router?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Original TP-Link FW don't support the VLANs, but DD-WRT do it. But it seams the support guy is lying.
VLAN - is virtual LAN, that can connect some ports together and some ports live outside of this LAN. What he mean. when speak about VLAN of ONE ONLY PORT of fiber line? By default all the port are connected to same VLAN in the switch. What is his problem?
Kite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it should work......Any help on how to configure it?

I suspect he tries to sell me a fritz (he didn't understand I have already one).
The fact I'm newbie on routers and network in general doesn't help me Crying or Very sad
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because all this facts I thought you should ask some qualified local person to do this work. I hope you don't try work like surgery professional because you have a scalpel, but want do something like network professional because you have 2 routers. Wink
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kite wrote:
So it should work......Any help on how to configure it?

Indeed, it "should" work.

We were all newbies at some point.

I think the suggestion to get someone locally to help you is a good one.

There is no replacement for actually seeing what is going on.

You might start by calling some of the colleges and universities in your area, ask for the Computer Science department, and ask if they have any students that might be able to help you for a small fee.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: