Afoundry EW 1200

SneakyRussian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 21:17    Post subject: Afoundry EW 1200 Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help.

I bought this router from Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Afoundry-Wireless-Fastest-Antenna-Computer/dp/B019WBON5K for £69. It's well made (to eye), 6 x5dbi antennas, AC capable - figured it's a tad better than that same Netgear 6300 but of course no where near the Linksys WRT 1900. It never claims to be either. Linksys is double the money (albeit 3 times better).

Here is the spec pic from the back of the box:

Now, this router has absolutely 0 reviews anywhere. Given the specifications above - would it ever have WRT support? Or should I send it back...

In terms of it's performance - started very patchy yesterday out of the box, left on for 24h and now seems to be doing OK. Range is not as advertised but better than that same Skyhub 2.

Doesn't want to change the password though... at all. Just stays at 88888888, tried all options, tried downloading and upgrading software too from the www.afoundry360.com (had a giggle at FAQ page)

Many thanks!
Sponsor
droid-I
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
MediaTek chipset, on the forum here, Ralink SoC seem be the area.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279542

User GreyDoc seem be working with dd-wrt builds for Mediatek/Ralink.

Could well be that your AFoundry is a similar unit like any of
the well known brand units.
The picture you posted is not readable, the amazon site mentions MT7621+MT7612EN+MT7603.

I think the dd-wrt support for mediatek chipset routers is not as
wide than broadcom and atheros routers.
For the price of £69, I think there are better choices in broadcom and atheros side.
If it was me, using dd-wrt, would send it back.

PS. This thread could be moved to RaLink SoC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply! Sorry not sure what happened there with the image. Please see attached.

Afoundry.jpg
 Description:
Afoundry 1200
 Filesize:  117.99 KB
 Viewed:  28364 Time(s)

Afoundry.jpg

droid-I
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Similar AC1200 routers using the MT7621 chip :

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7621

e.g the Netgear 3700 v5 and WSR-1166DHP

Over here (scroll down), is a picture of the EW1200 PCB in case anyone is interested.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/English-firmware-High-power-wireless-router-wall-Wang-enterprise-commercial-hotel-WiFi-AP-Hotel-EW1200-certified/32456541341.html

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Droid,

Thank you very much for you input. I had a thought about your advice and managed to score a 2015 D7000 (will then look to get rid of my skyhub2) for £60 on ebay.

Afoundry worked great at times and other times used to become unstable connection dropping to 0.5mb and going back to usual 30mb. Just don't have the patience right now to make it work.

Looked amazing on desk though, shame.

Thread can be closed.
ChukRhodes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 20:59    Post subject: Inside EW1200 Reply with quote
I just opened one of these, and it has a 3pin header labeled tx, gnd, and rx. A FTDI-TTL cable on it, and it shows a lot... most interesting :
Code:
## Booting image at bfc50000 ...
   Image Name:   OpenWrt Linux-3.10.14

Not ready to brick it yet, but I might try option 1 of the bootloader :
Code:
Please choose the operation:
   1: Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.
   2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP.
   3: Boot system code via Flash (default).
   4: Entr boot command line interface.
   7: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via Serial.
   9: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via TFTP.
sharky172
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 15:05    Post subject: Re: Inside EW1200 Reply with quote
ChukRhodes wrote:
I just opened one of these, and it has a 3pin header labeled tx, gnd, and rx. A FTDI-TTL cable on it, and it shows a lot... most interesting :
Code:
## Booting image at bfc50000 ...
   Image Name:   OpenWrt Linux-3.10.14

Not ready to brick it yet, but I might try option 1 of the bootloader :
Code:
Please choose the operation:
   1: Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.
   2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP.
   3: Boot system code via Flash (default).
   4: Entr boot command line interface.
   7: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via Serial.
   9: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via TFTP.

I just received mine.

For information you can telnet the router with this procedure:

- Export the configuration via the web interface.
- Edit the exported conf file to enable telnet
- import the modified conf file.
- Reboot the router
- Telnet it Very Happy

And then you will see the router is running OpenWRT Very Happy
RadioCrazy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I have a EW1200 and i agree looks really cool, but the firmware lets it down really badly, i contacted tha manufacture pointing out all the faults they sent me a beta firmware which makes it totally different looking but still has no firewall etc, i am a bit green to all this but is there plans for a firmware or is it classed to naff to bother with.
Thanks
fbx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Support for EW-1200 ? Reply with quote
Hi,

my EW-1200 has firmware version 5.4 and it crashes relatively often. Which fw version did they give to you? How did you contact the support?

Waiting for dd-wrt.....

fbx

RadioCrazy wrote:
Hi I have a EW1200 and i agree looks really cool, but the firmware lets it down really badly, i contacted tha manufacture pointing out all the faults they sent me a beta firmware which makes it totally different looking but still has no firewall etc, i am a bit green to all this but is there plans for a firmware or is it classed to naff to bother with.
Thanks
RadioCrazy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
Very very sorry for the delay in replying i was just trolling though me emails and found that someone had posted a question.
I have been reviewing this on Amazon and was working though the list of problems with Afoundry the biggest there is no firewall, all of sudden no more communication from them and their domain has expired so it looks like they have stopped trading, we are really lumbered now, but i do like the build quality and i really wish a firmware could be written for this but for some reason no one is interested.
If you can give me a few days i will run one up and see what firmware I've got on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: