DD-WRT support for Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (Model# R6900)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
http://www.dd-wrt.com/php
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05    Post subject: Re: Telnet error message Reply with quote
Avichi wrote:
This is what is happening when i try connecting to router using telnet

i had the same problem.

was able to get it working it by making sure 1)i was using the LAN MAC address and not WAN(they are diffrently obviously) and 2) setting a simple username and password in the r6900 gui.

something like "admin admin" while you are doing the upgrade

telnetenable 192.168.1.1 YOURLANMAC admin admin

then "telnet 192.168.1.1" worked for me

good luck
Sponsor
sandersvoice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:08    Post subject: Re: Telnet error message Reply with quote
Avichi wrote:
This is what is happening when i try connecting to router using telnet

I had this same problem. this version of telnetenable worked for me.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/insanid/NetgearTelnetEnable/master/binaries/windows/telnetenable.exe
Avichi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you "http://www.dd-wrt.com/php" and Sandervoice , After many attempts i gave up and returned the router back to Costco in the evening, I came back with a new R7000 from another store, and just saw both your answer now, I did down load the "windows" version of "telnetenable.exe" , "telnetenable.exe" did enable the "telnet" capabilities on router, if you see my earlier post the problem was with "telnet <router IP> on Window 10 command screen (Administrative privis).

The only difference was , that my admin password was long with special character and number. I realized that may be I need to include them in qoutes ("Complicated|Password|1234"), so my command was something like C:>telnetenable.exe Router IP Address MAC Address of router admin "Complicated|Password|1234" ...This could be the cause of the problem
as telnet is unable to authenticate...just my hunch, if your suggestion to keep the password simple like "admin" could be a solution.

As you mentioned my MAC Address was NOT 192.168.1.1, so that could be the second problem.

I am debating to go back buy another R6900, and try it out, while still using the R7000, if the next R6900 works, then I could save about 40-50 dollars as I bought additional warranty on R7000 for 3 years at $19.

Another issue I noticed on R6900 was that there were few [DoS attack: FIN Scan] and [DoS attack: ACK Scan] in the log, I was not sure if it was introduced because of the "telenetenable.exe' execution on the router, did it introduce any additional resident programs? Check my post here https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=303763
r39o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 20:25    Post subject: Re: Telnetenable-Command worked ..yet port 23 not open? Reply with quote
Avichi wrote:
Yet when I telnet on Windows 10 using "telnet <Router IP Address>, the error says port 23 not open?

Sorry for the delay, I have had no reason to return.....

The above quote is your single most large problem. As stated in my instructions getting telnet to work you need to find out how to make telnet work on your machine. You need to find out how to open port 23 which is the standard telnet port number. In other words use the search to find out how to make telnet work on your Windows 10 machine. I did this years ago for my Windows 7 Pro. My son did it for his Windows 10 laptop, so can you.

Every thing else is noise. Seriously, it is not that complicated. Break it down in to chunks. For you, get telnet working FIRST now. What ever program you use, port 23 must be open and I bet it is blocked by your Windows firewall, but that is a guess.

Be sure you have the Windows version of telnetenable.

FYI: I used the MAC address on the box. It is also on the router, as I recall. There are several MAC addresses. You want the LAN one. (You should also be able to find that in the router UI somewhere, too.)

NOTE: You also want to plug a straight through, normal, everyday Ethernet cable into the LAN port. You are using the LAN MAC. NOT the the single WAN port and NOT the WAN MAC. DO NOT USE THE WAN MAC AND WAN PORT - (Most people do not know what a turn around cable for the WAN port is, let alone own one! - they are usually specially made, if you have the tools.)

Once you have a telnet session to you R6900 you are golden.

You made this very hard on yourself!

FYI: My R6900 running my initial load is running PURRRRRFECT!

WRT54G V4 repeater bridge dd-wrt mini build 13525 with Vonage and print server
WAP54G V2 client bridge dd-wrt micro build 13491M NEWD Eko feeding Free NAS (OFF for now)
WRT54GS V1 repeater bridge to an open access point across the street dd-wrt mega build 14929 <- Works good!
WRT54G V4 standby AP dd-wrt mini build 13525 (OFF until needed)
Avichi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:24    Post subject: Thankyou r39o ! Reply with quote
Thank you halfbit and r39o , I did more research on why the telnet was not working even after all the proper approach in giving the telnetenable command.

Issue#1: You have to "Enable" TFTP and Telnet on Windows 10 , by going to Control Panel>Program Feature>Turn Windows Feature On/Of on the left panel> and Enable TFTP . Once the TFTP and Telnet is enabled, good idea to reboot the Windows 10 . Then issue the 'TelnetEnable" load using the 192.128.1.1, It would be also a good idea to enable the Static IP to 192.168.1.1.

Once the above is then you can follow r390 steps to do the remaining upgrade.

FOr now, this issue is not in my radar as I moved on to R7000( Read about it here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=303790), but was able to juice up my E3000 to 235Mbytes/sec (Read about it here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=303873) using Tomato Shibby. (With no disrespect to Kong and BS.. ), which initiated this whole journey to save $40-$50 dollars. But look at the brighter side we found a solution and Hope and help for all the "Costo R6900" fans, you still have hope to save $40-$50 dollar.
r39o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 17:31    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote
Working flawlessly.......

I have not touched my R6900 since I put dd-wrt on it.

I do not know if the latest version works or not, but likely what ever is stable on an R7000 will be stable on the R6900.

I think what I described on page one of making the R6900 think it is an R7000 is working.

I am happy!

Thanks everyone.....

WRT54G V4 repeater bridge dd-wrt mini build 13525 with Vonage and print server
WAP54G V2 client bridge dd-wrt micro build 13491M NEWD Eko feeding Free NAS (OFF for now)
WRT54GS V1 repeater bridge to an open access point across the street dd-wrt mega build 14929 <- Works good!
WRT54G V4 standby AP dd-wrt mini build 13525 (OFF until needed)
Ach37
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 20:34    Post subject: Thanks for the Tutorial. VPN Working? Reply with quote
Hey there,

Given current events I'm hoping to be able to turn my router into a VPN client to VPNonize my whole house (connecting to 3rd party vpn for all home internet traffic).

I'm thinking DD-WRT is the way to go and I too have teh R6900. Has anyone who has tried putting DDWRT on their R6900 tried to use it to connect to a 3rd party VPN service? Just curious if it worked for anyone...

Thanks again for the lead on the how-to. If it works for me, it will have saved a lot of time!
Eign
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 23:22    Post subject: R6900 + DD-WRT + VPN working Reply with quote
Ach37, I just finished setting up my R6900 with DD-WRT as a VPN client so all traffic in my home network is protected. It works great! I use PIA as my VPN provider and followed the steps in the link below after the DD-WRT install.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/dd-wrt-openvpn
Ach37
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 22:03    Post subject: Awesome. Thanks! Reply with quote
Curious, do you have Netflix and does it work with your VPN? On NordVPN, when using the router as the VPN connection Netflix gives an error and says no-can-do via a proxy, they site regional content agreements/contracts.

Wondering if it works at all with other VPN providers. Thanks.
Eign
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
PIA allows you to change the target server location to bypass geolocation, so I can find a few servers which work with Netflix. I'd say about half of the servers are blocked. I have varying results with other streaming services like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO. It's kind of annoying as different services work on different servers, so I find myself changing servers frequently or just leaving the VPN off entirely. I read some VPN services give dedicated IP addresses for customers so other sites have difficulty identifying them as VPN and blocking them, but that kind of breaks the anonyminity of using VPN.
loopback92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 20:55    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply with quote
r39o wrote:
Working flawlessly.......

I have not touched my R6900 since I put dd-wrt on it.

I do not know if the latest version works or not, but likely what ever is stable on an R7000 will be stable on the R6900.

I think what I described on page one of making the R6900 think it is an R7000 is working.

I am happy!

Thanks everyone.....

Thank you all for the feedback.
@r39o Wanted to check with you what is the experience with the R7000 build? I see no R6900 build is available yet so I guess it will not be put together.

If the R7000 build works fine, i will just use that one.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53    Post subject: 6900 troubles Reply with quote
used telnetenable and that worked fine telnetted into the router just fine but when I try the burn command I get bin/sh/ burnboardid not found and I tried the erase and reset command but got segmentation fault as a response.

where am I messing up?
fujirio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 21:16    Post subject: Re: Thank you r39o ! For your research and help others. Reply with quote
Avichi wrote:
r39o, I was debating between buying R7000 or R6900 (Netgear) router the difference in price is about $40, now with your research and actual conversion of R6900 to R7000 with changing the UID for the hardware works, then, I can live with only one USB.

Appreciate if you could post your ongoing experience with this "Gender Change Surgery" on the Netgear R6900, does it give the same performance of R7000, with the DD-WRT? I assume you are running the latest "Kong" build ?

TIA
ABI

I tried this and my router just keeps rebooting
fujirio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43    Post subject: Re: 6900 troubles Reply with quote
Mortueslibre wrote:
used telnetenable and that worked fine telnetted into the router just fine but when I try the burn command I get bin/sh/ burnboardid not found and I tried the erase and reset command but got segmentation fault as a response.

where am I messing up?

What windows are you on?
Mortueslibre
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 18:37    Post subject: system Reply with quote
I am running win 10 64 bit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: