Linksys WRT1900AC won't install DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:27    Post subject: Linksys WRT1900AC won't install DD-WRT Reply with quote
Folks,

I have a Linksys WRT1900AC, Version 1 router. It has been running for about a year and a half on the crappy Linksys firmware, to the same mixed results I've been reading about all around: lousy wireless range, dropped connections, etc.

Recently, I was thrilled to learn that the long-awaited DD-WRT firmware had become available, and I followed directions to download the proper DD-WRT image to convert from factory to DWRT for my 1900AC V1 router (v3.0 Beta, build 28628 initial installation image). So far, so good.

Next, I followed the standard on-line directions to install the firmware by entering the router's configuration page in Chrome on my Win 10 computer (which is connected by LAN to the router), and manually undating the firmware in "Connectivity."

But it didn't take. Specifically, the router seemed to be installing the new firmware, then asked permission to reboot, which I gave it. After a few minutes, though, it simply rebooted back into the factory firmware (version 1.1.10.167514, incidentally).

I tried reinstalling the DD-WRT image several times, but always, the router rebooted back into the factory firmware. I even tried, hard-resetting the modem back to factory, and doing the whole thing again. Still, DD-WRT simply would not load.

I'm really looking forward to using the router with DD-WRT, and am bummed I can't get it to work. Can anyone help me figure out why this is, and how to fix it? Naturally, support at Linksys (or whoever the parent company is) won't help me at all.

If further information is needed, I'm happy to supply it.

Thanks in advance,

Germainiac
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try Kong's one http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Try Kong's one http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

Agreed. Get the latest Kong image downloads for your router (there are two). Then flash the FactoryToDD-WRT.img file from the LinkSys F/W update screen.

Do not attempt to flash the BIN file directly from the LinkSys F/W update screen, otherwise you will be in a world of pain!
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! Thank you! I will attempt to flash the FactoryToDD-WRT.img file as soon as I get home from work. I will report back with results. Much appreciated!

Germainiac
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried using Kong's firmware image, and unfortunately had the same result: after installing firmware and rebooting, router simply returned to the Linksys factory firmware setup screen - No DD-WRT.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Germainiac
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
germainiac wrote:
Tried using Kong's firmware image, and unfortunately had the same result: after installing firmware and rebooting, router simply returned to the Linksys factory firmware setup screen - No DD-WRT.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Germainiac

Are you running LinkSys v1.1.8 F/W? If you are running a later version, then try downgrading to v1.1.8 prior to applying DD-WRT.

I am sure that I read that this was a requirement elsewhere on this forum.
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that did it! Had to downgrade to the older stock firmware. Once I did that, DD-WRT loaded right up. Thanks for your help.

Germainiac
jesus.mingarro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I know this an old post. I bought recently a wrt1900acs V2. Firmware it comes with is already v 2.0.1. Flashing an older stock firmware the router gets stuck in welcome screen and needs to be powercycled.
After Flashing ddwrt when reboots, the router keeps booting in stock firmware (same as above).
Not sure what else to try, any guidance would be appreciated.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jesus.mingarro wrote:
Hi guys,

I know this an old post. I bought recently a wrt1900acs V2. Firmware it comes with is already v 2.0.1. Flashing an older stock firmware the router gets stuck in welcome screen and needs to be powercycled.
After Flashing ddwrt when reboots, the router keeps booting in stock firmware (same as above).
Not sure what else to try, any guidance would be appreciated.

Start by reading the sticky.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
jesus.mingarro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shame on me...pobs gone over this post 15 times, first time I actually read clearing NV Ram . Going to whip my back for the rest of the weekend as penitence.
Thanks man..I guess sometimes you just need someone to remind you how oblivious you are to the obvious Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: