DD-WRT WiFi connectivity issue w/ multiple routers/chipsets

malventano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 23:07    Post subject: DD-WRT WiFi connectivity issue w/ multiple routers/chipsets Reply with quote
I've been trying to nail down some odd WiFi connectivity issues with DD-WRT for several years now. The problem has persisted across multiple routers / chipsets / environments. It has occurred regardless of number of devices on the network. In all cases, flashing back to the manufacturer firmware has solved the issue and the suspect devices were able to connect instantly and without issue.

Routers tried / DD-WRT builds attempted:
Broadcom:
ASUS RT-N66U (22118/23503)
ASUS RT-AC66U (23503/23919/26466)
Marvell:
Linksys WRT1900AC v1 (28628/29519)

DD-WRT config to reproduce:
Full defaults with WiFi configured to WPA2/AES in all cases.

Devices that refuse to connect:
Logitech Harmony Smart Control Hub
Anova Precision Cooker WiFi

The issue began with the Harmony Hub back on the N66U. Using default wireless settings, the Hub refused to connect, but *was* able to connect to a guest network set up on 2.4 (also set to WPA2). This seemed odd, but it worked so I just let it fly. I later upgraded to the AC66U, tried again to set up the Hub on the main 2.4 network with no luck, but it again worked on the guest network, so I just let it go again.

Then I shifted to the WRT1900AC. The same guest network trick worked for the Hub, but less consistently. I also had just received the Anova cooker and noted that too refused to connect to the main network, meaning I now had two devices that refused to connect. I noted that while attempting to connect devices, they *would* appear in system info under the Wireless list, but only briefly and with Signal=0 Noise=-95 SNR=95 Signal Quality=100%. This happens regardless of number of devices on the network (I've tried anywhere from 1-12 other devices).

The Anova issues prompted me to go back and re-try troubleshooting with the earlier two routers. In the case of all three routers, reverting to factory firmware instantly corrected the issue and all devices (including the Harmony Hub and Anova) were able to quickly connect with zero issues.

This leaves the question: What could DD-WRT possibly be doing differently than either the ASUS or Linksys stock firmwares? Are there some advanced settings / other tweaks I can try that might better replicate what the factory firmware might be doing with the radios? If I can see the connection attempts intermittently appear under Info-Wireless Clients, is it possible that it might be not a radio issue but perhaps something with DHCP or elsewhere in the negotiation when these devices attempt to connect?

I'm open to ideas and am willing to troubleshoot further as I'd really like to be able to continue using DD-WRT, and this may possibly be a bug that is driving other users back to their factory firmwares, so I'd love to nail it down and squash it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
Allyn
Sponsor
malventano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody willing to tackle this one? Is there a better place for this post to be? It doesn't fit under a particular chipset as it happens across multiple models. Is there a more technical DD-WRT-code specific part of this forum or could this somehow be listed as a non-chipset-specific bug report?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are unlikely to get any meaningful answer in this forum, as explained in the first post here. Pick the router you want to tackle, and post for that router in the proper forum.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
malventano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This issue was isolated to the use of a custom WiFi MAC. Apparently some of the more 'simple' WiFi devices are picky about some custom MAC choices. Leaving this note here for anyone who happens to search for similar issues in the future.
dading
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
malventano wrote:
This issue was isolated to the use of a custom WiFi MAC. Apparently some of the more 'simple' WiFi devices are picky about some custom MAC choices. Leaving this note here for anyone who happens to search for similar issues in the future.

Can someone explain what this means and what the solution is? I'm experiencing the same issue. Thank you
kpeters59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dading wrote:
malventano wrote:

Can someone explain what this means and what the solution is? I'm experiencing the same issue. Thank you

TTT

Me, too!

-KP
SomeGuyWithTomatoes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is only sort-of on topic but, it is an issue with the harmony hub and a tomato router.

I have an e3000 running tomato and was having problems with my harmony hub. It connected to WiFi fine once I downloaded the PC app and forced it too. My problem was, it wouldn't connect through too the Logitech servers. All the searching in the world brought me here and, still no solution. After messing around with tcp timeout setting and everything else you can think of I realized I was running openNic DNS servers through the router.

I set all the static DNS to 0.0.0.0 in Basic/Network settings (defaults to whatever your connecting device wants the DNS to be) and it worked like a charm.

I dislike Logitech for making me do this but, I really like being able to have Alexa boss around my entertainment system. Very Happy

Hope this helps someone if they run into the same connectivity issues as me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: