New build: DD-WRT --- 29621 --- 2016/05/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:52    Post subject: -r29621 TP-Link TL-WDR4900v1 Reply with quote

recursive DNS doesn't work after power off & boot

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5332

Nice to see that automount bug #5286 is fixed and kernel upgraded to 4.4.10 -rc1

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
ThoreauHD wrote:
Detection wrote:
Copying to Samba server network storage is very unreliable with this build, speeds all over the place, and fails first attempt at copying every single file with a network disconnected error, but it's not disconnected

WRT160NL

I'm seeing the same thing. I wish I could see my damned lan packets to see if it's trying to recommunicate or if it's just dropping packets. I have to crack the atom to enable logging on this router without crashing it. The may 9 release was pretty stable on the lan side.

Secondarily, this May 10 release seems to be creeping up in ram usage over the last few days. At idle, I'm at 52% 32284 kB / 61712 kB used. Previously hovered at 25MB used. It could just be the new kernel/drivers sucking up the ram, but I'll keep an eye out if it's looking like a mem leak.

Well since day one of flashing DD-WRT on this router years ago, my Wi-Fi is lucky to last 2 days before flaking out and disconnecting everything connected to wireless, and not allowing reconnecting until WiFi or entire router is restarted

So I have my router set to reboot every morning at 5:30am when no-one is using it, so I don't see the RAM usage growing

But yea, this seemed a great build until I tried copying to the network storage

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: wdr3600

- 90% ok
- 5ghz band light not working
- band dies after 10-20min of torrenting at full speed (need to restart the router)
ThoreauHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwoods wrote:
ThoreauHD wrote:
I wish I could see my damned lan packets to see if it's trying to recommunicate or if it's just dropping packets. I have to crack the atom to enable logging on this router without crashing it.

Download and run Wireshark...

https://www.wireshark.org/

I'm not sure that'll work. I need to see the packets dropped from the router on Gig-E wired/routed. I can look at the client, but that won't tell me what the router is doing or the reasons for it.

In any case, I dropped back to the May 9 release, and the network transfers seem to be stabilized. The difference is kernel 3 vs 4, so it could be any myriad of things causing it. Although my client machine connected to the router is running the Linux 4.5.4 kernel and the NAS server is BSD 10.2. You'd think they would be happy to talk to each other, but not so much on that May 10/4.X kernel.
jonihc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
just putting this here, as it (also) happens in this build:

Router ModelTPLINK TL-WDR3500 v1
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r29621 std (05/10/16)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.10.101 #22391 Tue May 10 04:17:42 CEST 2016 mips
Uptime 1h 46m (was just using twitch and 5ghz died)

tatsuya46 wrote:
when the problem happens, before getting the radio going again, whats the result of

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/reset
and
cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/queues ?

phy0 = ath0, phy1 = ath1, so input command accordingly

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/ath9k/reset
Quote:
Baseband Hang: 0
Baseband Watchdog: 0
Fatal HW Error: 31821
TX HW error: 0
Transmit timeout: 0
TX Path Hang: 310
PLL RX Hang: 0
MAC Hang: 0
Stuck Beacon: 0
MCI Reset: 0
Calibration error: 0
Tx DMA stop error: 0
Rx DMA stop error: 0

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/ath9k/queues
Quote:

(VO): qnum: 3 qdepth: 0 ampdu-depth: 0 pending: 0 stopped: 0
(VI): qnum: 2 qdepth: 0 ampdu-depth: 0 pending: 0 stopped: 0
(BE): qnum: 1 qdepth: 0 ampdu-depth: 0 pending: 0 stopped: 0
(BK): qnum: 0 qdepth: 0 ampdu-depth: 0 pending: 0 stopped: 0
(CAB): qnum: 8 qdepth: 0 ampdu-depth: 0 pending: 0 stopped: 0
mm7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router Model: TPLINK TL-WR1043ND v2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r29621 std (05/10/16)
Kernel Version: Linux 3.18.32 #11753 Tue May 10 05:19:19 CEST 2016 mips
Reset: No

Wifi sometimes drops. Network is still there, but devices can't connect to it. Didn't have this issue in previous releases. Anyone else experiences wireless performance issues?
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ThoreauHD wrote:

I need to see the packets dropped from the router on Gig-E wired/routed.

See the Wireshark Remote Packet Capture function.

YMMV
thoraxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: TL-WR841ND v11
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29621 std (05/10/16)
Kernel: Linux 3.18.32 #11747 Tue May 10 05:14:59 CEST 2016 mips
Errors:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5366

For whatever reason I have a single Windows 7 client that is constantly getting window refocus problems. This all started when switching to this router. I had originally tried with a slightly older firmware version but even this latest update still has the issue.
Psyxroid
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
thoraxe wrote:
Errors:

For whatever reason I have a single Windows 7 client that is constantly getting window refocus problems. This all started when switching to this router. I had originally tried with a slightly older firmware version but even this latest update still has the issue.

I was intrigued by this, as it just did not make sense to me it is anything firmware related.
Looking at the ticket above, you mentioned that you were using the stock TP-Link firmware without any issues, then the issue started as soon as you flashed dd-wrt.

Do you have any TP-Link programs or utilities installed on your computer? If so, did you try uninstalling or disabling these programs?

My reasoning goes like this, you may have a TP-Link configuration utility installed, this program talks to the TP-Link router on a regular basis to check wireless status/stats, this is a startup program, it runs in the background, once the TP-Link firmware was replaced with dd-wrt, the program/utility is no longer able to communicate with the router, the program keeps stealing focus as a result ...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Psyxroid wrote:

I was intrigued by this, as it just did not make sense to me it is anything firmware related.
Looking at the ticket above, you mentioned that you were using the stock TP-Link firmware without any issues, then the issue started as soon as you flashed dd-wrt.

Do you have any TP-Link programs or utilities installed on your computer? If so, did you try uninstalling or disabling these programs?

Nothing of the sort. There have been no software changes to the laptop. Additionally we have never had a TP-Link WiFi router or any other TP-Link device in this house interfacing with the laptop prior to use of the factory firmware.

Switching to a WRT54G with stock firmware directly behind the cable modem there are no issues. If the WRT54G is behind the TP-Link, the problem persists.

Psyxroid wrote:

My reasoning goes like this, you may have a TP-Link configuration utility installed, this program talks to the TP-Link router on a regular basis to check wireless status/stats, this is a startup program, it runs in the background, once the TP-Link firmware was replaced with dd-wrt, the program/utility is no longer able to communicate with the router, the program keeps stealing focus as a result ...

I'll see if I can dig into her laptop but I am fairly confident we installed no such software, and this problem ONLY happens when connected to a network where the TP-Link router is present.

* Connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot: no issue
* Connected to a WRT54G on a dedicated network: no issue
* Connected to a WRT54G on a network that has the TP-Link device with DD-WRT: issue
* Connected directly to the TL-W841N either via wired cable or WiFi: issue
thoraxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Psyxroid wrote:

Just looked through the installed software and there is nothing from TP-Link and nothing that even remotely looks like it would cause this issue in this way.

I'm wondering if it's a DD-WRT 3.x issue as I've only ever used 2.x SP kinda stuff before.

If I can get my RT-N16 unbricked (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=301749) I will see if I can get it going and see if the problem persists with a newer firmware.

I'm also trying to see if I can get OpenWRT installed on it.

The "you installed some TP-Link software" thing makes sense, but I would expect the problem to persist at all times, and not only when using a network where the WR841 is between the cable modem and the clients.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
thoraxe wrote:

* Connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot: no issue
* Connected to a WRT54G on a dedicated network: no issue
* Connected to a WRT54G on a network that has the TP-Link device with DD-WRT: issue
* Connected directly to the TL-W841N either via wired cable or WiFi: issue

Just a thought but try enable MAC clone on the 841.
Don't change anything....just enable it save/apply settings. You might do a reboot after that and see what happens.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
thoraxe wrote:
Errors:

If you applied Windows Updates recently (May 10th was Patch Tuesday), you might roll back to a restore point prior to that.

I would also check the network adapters on the Win7 machine for the latest drivers from the vendor.

If those are current, check your network adapter settings.
thoraxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwoods wrote:
If you applied Windows Updates recently (May 10th was Patch Tuesday), you might roll back to a restore point prior to that.

Ironically we applied updates AFTER attempting several different things, and have had no change.

jwoods wrote:

I would also check the network adapters on the Win7 machine for the latest drivers from the vendor.

If those are current, check your network adapter settings.

I can give that a whirl, but:

* The issue is only when connected to a network that has the TP-Link as the device behind the cable modem.

* The issue occurs even if not using WiFi (eg: hard wired to TP-Link router)

* The issue does NOT occur using WifI via another device

So, essentially, as long as the laptop has network traffic going through a network where the TP-Link is at the "front" (after the modem), we have a problem. If the laptop goes through a network that does not have the traffic going through the TP-Link, no problem.

Given all of that, I'm not sure why an update to the network drivers (both ethernet and WiFi) would make a difference, but we'll check.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
thoraxe wrote:
I'm not sure why an update to the network drivers (both ethernet and WiFi) would make a difference, but we'll check.

It's a process of elimination, since you suspect the lost focus issue is related somehow to the router and/or DD-WRT. The network adapters are the last link between the router, firmware, and the Win7 system.

I suspect it is something running on the Win7 system.

Another thing you can do is download Sysinternals free program Process Monitor, and let it run for a while. It has nice filtering features that will allow you to narrow down what was running at the time, as well as setting "watch" filters.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Set up Process Monitor and let it run continuously. There is a logging feature. Turn it on by clicking on File > Backing Files.... There will be two options: Use virtual memory (which is the default), and Use file named:.

Click on the Browse button (the one with 3 dots) and it will take you to the folder where Process Monitor is installed. Enter a file name. It will automatically be given an extension of .PML. Click Save.

When Process Monitor is restarted, check that File > Capture Events is checked. It will log everything within the filter criteria that has been set up (default filters are fine for now).

Anyone with Process Monitor will be able to use it to open the .PML file and view it as if it were on their system.

Put it in a zip file and post it here as an attachment.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: