How to search forum?

montgomery
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 16:51    Post subject: How to search forum? Reply with quote
Hi, Guys.
Whenever I try to find some kind of info here on this forum, it brings up a hippo-load of hits. The one this morning was like thousands of pages of hits.

When I'm so new to this, and I'm just trying to find something which should be so easy to find, and I'm getting inundated with so many hits by searching, you can't just say I should use the search feature.

I DID use search, but since it's not able to help me, I created a thread.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best to use Google and throw in dd-wrt with whatever you are searching for.
Also if you know someone (author of -- on dd-wrt forums) you can put that in a Google search also.
The search feature on the forums tis not the best for sure.
Most answers are out there and/or people willing to help but wanting a quick fix usually is a bad idea and you don't learn much either going that route. If these forums were let to run-a-muck they would quickly become unusable to all....they already teeter on the edge now days Smile

Heck, I sifted thru here and elsewhere for 7 years before I ever made a post in these forums......still don't know much but I did learned a lot along the way.

Keep calm Carry on
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the search on the forums isn't cutting it, I know I got blown away with the results when I first began, you can use Google's advanced search.

(whatever you are looking for) then add site:http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/ to it.

Should work for you.

Edit - Doh I was beaten to the punch by mrjcd

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
montgomery
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Best to use Google and throw in dd-wrt with whatever you are searching for.
Also if you know someone (author of -- on dd-wrt forums) you can put that in a Google search also.
The search feature on the forums tis not the best for sure.
Most answers are out there and/or people willing to help but wanting a quick fix usually is a bad idea and you don't learn much either going that route. If these forums were let to run-a-muck they would quickly become unusable to all....they already teeter on the edge now days Smile

Heck, I sifted thru here and elsewhere for 7 years before I ever made a post in these forums......still don't know much but I did learned a lot along the way.

Keep calm Carry on

ATHF wrote:
If the search on the forums isn't cutting it, I know I got blown away with the results when I first began, you can use Google's advanced search.

(whatever you are looking for) then add site:http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/ to it.

Should work for you.

Edit - Doh I was beaten to the punch by mrjcd

Awesome! Thanks, guys. This definitely helps.
...and man, it's so refreshing to hear it like that.

I have done this for other sites for...well....ever since it became possible to do with Google. However, for some reason, in light of how freakin outlandishly cool and advanced DD-WRT is, it never occurred to me to need that here lol

I will indeed give that a try when searching here from now on (as much as I think of it to do so). Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: