Multicast with DD-WRT as wifi client bridge for e1.31

eaglelink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 17:41    Post subject: Multicast with DD-WRT as wifi client bridge for e1.31 Reply with quote
Here's my setup

Main router Netgear R7000 running ASUSWRT-Merlin
Old FON router (FON2200) running DD-WRT
SanDevices E682 connected to FON router (http://sandevices.com/E681info.html)

What I want to do is have my main router in the house which has a computer running DMX over Ethernet software to control lights around the house and outside and have the FON connected to the E682 board outside so that I don't have to run a network cable to where it is.

The problem I'm running into is that with the FON router set up as a client bridge it does not forward multicast packets for the E1.31. I'm trying to avoid WDS, please don't ask why, I just am.

Is there any other way to get it to router the multicast traffic over the wifi as a client?

Could I use OpenVPN or any other kind of VPN somehow to forward the traffic? If a VPN would work, I can easily have the computer controlling the lights connect to a VPN if there's any way to make DD-WRT also connect and pass multicast traffic.

Any help is appreciated. I couldn't find anything quite like what I want to do when I tried searching. If anybody knows of any other posts that contain this information comment with a link and I will check it out.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
How is your routers connected? LAN-LAN or LAN-WAN

You have to enable Mulitcast on the Interfaces.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264294
eaglelink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Netgear router is connecter to the internet. I'm trying to use the FON router as a wireless client bridge so that my E682 board can be connected to the LAN and receive multicast. The problem is that when it's set up as a client bridge, it doesn't seem to pass the multicast. I've read that there's no way to make it pass the multicast, but if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to try it. Again, trying to avoid WDS. I know WDS would work, but it seems that when I set up WDS on my main router it cuts the wireless speed of the regular wireless connections (laptops, tablets). If I had another spare router I'd just set up a separate router with WDS so that it's not taking away from the speed of my main router.

I'm curious if there's a way with it set up as a client bridge to either pass multicast regularly, or maybe connect to a local VPN server and pass multicast through that.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make a imp proxy confirm file and set the upstream and downstream interfaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: