ASUS RT-N16 - vlan

TechRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:22    Post subject: ASUS RT-N16 - vlan Reply with quote
Dear Techies,

Im trying to setup a Asus RT-n16 router as an access point, and have all wireless data send out over a LAN port tagged under a VLAN.

I have been playing with different NVRAM settings, but I don't seem to be able to get it right.

What I did:
I disabled the WAN connection and bridged it to the lan under [Setup > Basic Setup].

I also disabled the DHCP server on the same page.

From this point on I can connect to the WLAN ssid and receive a DHCP address from the gateway.

The problem
trying to get at least one LAN port tagged under a VLAN id, and direct all WLAN data over it.

[/b]
Sponsor
TechRoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to help someone else out, i managed to get it working pretty simply.

Do note that the only available VLAN,s are 1-15, and on my router (ASUS RT-N16) 2 and 1 where allready used internally.

1) Under [ wireless ] we will add a VAP. (virtual AP)

2) Under [ Basic setup > VLAN ] we will enable "tagged" for the WAN interface (w) and select the extra vlan we want the VAP to operate on. In this example we will check "VLAN 5".

3) Under [ Basic setup > Networking ] we will add two bridges. Bridge0 is the default bridge used by the router, so we will use the BRIDGE1 i named "br_vlan".
First apply these changes so the bridges and extra VAP and VLAN get added.

Next we will add to the bridge two entries.

- br_vlan > vlan5
- br_vlan > wl0.1

This will bridge the VAP wl0.1 to the vlan5, which is linked to the WAN interface.

Apply this again

4) Now we need to issue a command to update the nvram, since the webinterface seems to have an issue with the tagging option.

Go to [ administration > command ] is issue the next commands to set tagging on the WAN port and commmit the changes.

These commands will add "port0 (wan) tagged" and "port 8 (CPU)" to this vlan:

- nvram set vlan5ports="0t 8"
- nvram commit
- nvram reboot

When the router reboots you will have a VAP that bridges straight to the WAN network on a vlan.
Coubled
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
TechRoo wrote:
Just to help someone else out, i managed to get it working pretty simply.

Do note that the only available VLAN,s are 1-15, and on my router (ASUS RT-N16) 2 and 1 where allready used internally.

phen375 http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/

1) Under [ wireless ] we will add a VAP. (virtual AP)

2) Under [ Basic setup > VLAN ] we will enable "tagged" for the WAN interface (w) and select the extra vlan we want the VAP to operate on. In this example we will check "VLAN 5".

3) Under [ Basic setup > Networking ] we will add two bridges. Bridge0 is the default bridge used by the router, so we will use the BRIDGE1 i named "br_vlan".
First apply these changes so the bridges and extra VAP and VLAN get added.

Next we will add to the bridge two entries.

- br_vlan > vlan5
- br_vlan > wl0.1

This will bridge the VAP wl0.1 to the vlan5, which is linked to the WAN interface.

Apply this again

4) Now we need to issue a command to update the nvram, since the webinterface seems to have an issue with the tagging option.

Go to [ administration > command ] is issue the next commands to set tagging on the WAN port and commmit the changes.

These commands will add "port0 (wan) tagged" and "port 8 (CPU)" to this vlan:

- nvram set vlan5ports="0t 8"
- nvram commit
- nvram reboot

When the router reboots you will have a VAP that bridges straight to the WAN network on a vlan.

this is really complicated. i think i need to read your steps all over again until i will fully understand each step so that the move that i will make will not commit any complications on my stuff. thanks so much! this will really help!

Last edited by Coubled on Sun Oct 16, 2016 19:20; edited 1 time in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLAN is chip-set dependant. Please post in the proper forum for your router (Broadcom, atheros etc.).
mache
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I solved a superset of your problem and the solution is listed below. FYI the Asus RT-N16 is a Broadcom chipset device.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263155&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vlan2&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: