Kong R7000 Configuration Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 15:36    Post subject: Kong R7000 Configuration Questions Reply with quote
Hey there,

I just finished setting up Kong on my R7000 and now have a few questions (btw I am living in an aparment and see about 4-10 other wifi's when scanning on my phone):

1. Usually 2,4GHz should have a higher range than 5GHz but with the R7000 both have the same range (which is fine/enough for me).
As I only have a 16mbit connection, does it make any sense to use 5GHz on devices such has Nexus 6 or Note 4?
On my laptop I will use 5GHz due to torrenting, gaming, streaming, local file sharing,... but smartphones arent too demanding to have any profit from 5GHz over 2,4GHz?

2. I am using "auto" channel and according to "Wifi-Analyzer" (android app) the 2,4Ghz uses channel 6 although it seems to be a bad one (13 would be best). Will this change after some time? Channel width is 40MHz and I set "upper" as well. @edit: okay it is now at channel 11 which seems to be "best" atm.

3. Should I use a higher hardware voltage and if yes, how much?

4. Where should I generally place the router? It is in the center of the aparment but can it be behind the TV for example? Or in between a lot of decoration stuff on a shelf? Should it be near the floor or rather on a shelf? Or should it generally be on an open area with nothing next/behind/infront of it?

5. Any other settings I should change in order to optimize my wifi which is next to 6 other wifis in this crowded apartment building?

Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:22    Post subject: Kong R7000 Configuration Questions Reply with quote
I have turned off 2.4Ghz because it's too crowded and in my case and 5Ghz handles the job regarding traffic & range. It saves some energy, spare some 2,4Ghz bandwidth for other users and decrease overall EMR "pollution".

I am using brainslayer build so I am not shure if it is also available in kong's build, but would recommend it:

Explicit (for AC capable hardware) / implicit (for non AC hardware) beamforming.

Regarding 3): Not seen / overseen. Where is this option located?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:57    Post subject: Re: Kong R7000 Configuration Questions Reply with quote
Doppel-D wrote:
I have turned off 2.4Ghz because it's too crowded and in my case and 5Ghz handles the job regarding traffic & range. It saves some energy, spare some 2,4Ghz bandwidth for other users and decrease overall EMR "pollution".

I am using brainslayer build so I am not shure if it is also available in kong's build, but would recommend it:

Explicit (for AC capable hardware) / implicit (for non AC hardware) beamforming.

Regarding 3): Not seen / overseen. Where is this option located?

But did you ever have problems with a device that didn't support 5GHz? E.g. when a friend comes over or a during a family meeting?

Thanks, I already have beamforming enabled.

3.) It is the Tx settings or not?
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 14:58    Post subject: Re: Kong R7000 Configuration Questions Reply with quote
It's a new router for me so until now not much experience regarding overall QOS.

Yes TX power, give it a try. I was irritated about voltage, usally called power. Keep in mind that in some cases with some routers it can also get worse.

Also play with different antenna angles.

PS: Devices that don't support 5Ghz? Are you kidding, that's stone age or cheapo crap ;- )

Problems I have: DNS resolution stutter. Not shure what's the cause. If I turn on 'recursive DNS' it's gone but after power off over night it doesn't work anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 16:32    Post subject: Re: Kong R7000 Configuration Questions Reply with quote
Doppel-D wrote:

PS: Devices that don't support 5Ghz? Are you kidding, that's stone age or cheapo crap ;- )

You are probably right...but unfortenuately the 5GHz wifi won't reach far enough (even though all channels would be empty on 5GHz while on 2,4GHz I have 5-10 other wifi's in range). Too bad ;/

So it seems like 2,4GHz has to stay as the "main" wifi for smartphones.. Everything else that is stationary or always in range can go 5GHz.
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
"with the R7000 both have the same range (which is fine/enough for me)."

That brought me on the 5Ghz path....

Contrary to that you wrote later:

"but unfortenuately the 5GHz wifi won't reach far enough...."

Have you tried other regulatory domains like e.g. Haiti? On Atheros devices it max. out Tx power, but also depends on the channel you use. Helpfully its also displayed as numerical value.

R7000 only diplays 'Auto' so you have to use external instruments.

Navigation

Jump to: