updating via telnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
coletrain
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:49    Post subject: updating via telnet Reply with quote
So I just upgraded Firmware in the admin tab. Now i have figured out "root" ... the darn login is root!

SSH is greyed out so I cant select it on my router. I guess that doesnt matter...just mentioning.

In putty, I just typed "erase nvram" and then "reboot" well guess what, iterased all my settings. You guys are saying "duh" well, I didnt know that... got out the ladder and went all the way upstairs... nevermind, trust me its a pain to get to that AP. What is your best practice on this?

Do you guys go fetch each AP every time? and hook it to the computer. You are not supposed to restore setting from one build to the next, right?
If you telnet, upgrade, backup setting with the upgrade, erase nvram, reboot...that still doesnt work becasue you still cant access it from your main router becasue the IP is reset.
all I can think is plugging in the eithernet cable (that usually goes to your main router) instead to your computer.

should I just upgrade and not erase nvram? What is best practice on this?

(switch) 1 AP WRT160N v3 - DD-WRT v3.0-r30731 mini (10/06/16)
==
YOU CAN'T STOP THE COLETRAIN BABY!
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:59    Post subject: Re: updating via telnet Reply with quote
coletrain wrote:
So I just upgraded Firmware in the admin tab. Now i have figured out "root" ... the darn login is root!

SSH is greyed out so I cant select it on my router. I guess that doesnt matter...just mentioning.

In putty, I just typed "erase nvram" and then "reboot" well guess what, iterased all my settings. You guys are saying "duh" well, I didnt know that... got out the ladder and went all the way upstairs... nevermind, trust me its a pain to get to that AP. What is your best practice on this?

Do you guys go fetch each AP every time? and hook it to the computer. You are not supposed to restore setting from one build to the next, right?
If you telnet, upgrade, backup setting with the upgrade, erase nvram, reboot...that still doesnt work becasue you still cant access it from your main router becasue the IP is reset.
all I can think is plugging in the eithernet cable (that usually goes to your main router) instead to your computer.

should I just upgrade and not erase nvram? What is best practice on this?

Best practice is to always erase nvram, do not use a backup to restore. So yes you do have to do everything again manually. There are some scripting tools available, (google on scripting tools), but I use IE to redo and IE "remembers" all my settings so it is not a big problem.
If changes are not very big you can do a dirty flash without resetting, but you never know.
After resetting, the router defaults to 192.168.1.1 and has an open wifi with SSID DD-WRT (I think, I am wired), so if you set a static IP on you computer of 192.168.1.2 then you can reach your router after resetting

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: