Confused - TL-WR740N Models?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
WilsonMichaelD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 22:26    Post subject: Confused - TL-WR740N Models? Reply with quote
I need a new router urgently! Mine died and I'm stuck with a garbage combo router from my cable company. I want to get this : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR740N-Wireless-Router-150Mpbs/dp/B002WBX7TQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1465250827&sr=8-10&keywords=Tp-LINK+Router

But I'm scared they'll send me a model that's incompatible, Do the lastest models they have in stock work with DD-WRT? It's on the official recommendations page, so I figured they would, but some people report issues with the latest models, or getting Chinese models. (I live in the US)

I just need a cheap router that'll do DD-WRT. But I'm scared I'll wind up getting the wrong version and not be able to use it, or it be severely crippled.

Any help or clarification would be appreciated immensely.

Edit: I was told by the Amazon seller they were stocking V6's, do these work with DD-WRT?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-D-Link-DIR-862L-Gaming-Wireless-Router-AC1600-Dual-Band-Gigabit-LAN-WAN-/252302426116?hash=item3abe658004:g:WZ0AAOSwUuFW0sWj

cheep, ugly but powerful + DD-WRT compatible
just contact the seller to find out witch version is
and check here for drivers ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/06-06-2016-r29837/

Tp_link 740 is very basic and very old architecture
with less ram/flash and slow CPU

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a supported devices wiki, that is pretty much up to date, afaik.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46    Post subject: Re: Confused - TL-WR740N Models? Reply with quote
WilsonMichaelD wrote:
I need a new router urgently! Mine died and I'm stuck with a garbage combo router from my cable company. I want to get this : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR740N-Wireless-Router-150Mpbs/dp/B002WBX7TQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1465250827&sr=8-10&keywords=Tp-LINK+Router

But I'm scared they'll send me a model that's incompatible, Do the lastest models they have in stock work with DD-WRT? It's on the official recommendations page, so I figured they would, but some people report issues with the latest models, or getting Chinese models. (I live in the US)

I just need a cheap router that'll do DD-WRT. But I'm scared I'll wind up getting the wrong version and not be able to use it, or it be severely crippled.

Edit: I was told by the Amazon seller they were stocking V6's, do these work with DD-WRT?

There's a modified build for WR740N/WR741ND v6 here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1032619#1032619

zwucke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:32    Post subject: Re: Confused - TL-WR740N Models? Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
WilsonMichaelD wrote:

There's a modified build for WR740N/WR741ND v6 here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1032619#1032619

I just got the 740N (unfortunately v6). The modified version of DD-WRT firmware from this thread shows Router Model: WR841ND v11 when flashed onto the 740N v6 device.

The router is now not able to use OpenVPN, which it originally should be, if I recall correctly. It just shows PPTP Server and PPTP Client as VPN options, but on the Help Bar it shows OpenVPN descriptions... Kind of weird. Any idea if there's going to be a "real" beta version of dd-wrt (that shows up here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ ) for the v6 version of this router? I need OpenVPN support on my router ..I bought the 740N instead of the 841ND explicitly because I needed OpenVPN, but now I'm stuck with the 841ND firmware Confused
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 18:07    Post subject: Re: Confused - TL-WR740N Models? Reply with quote
zwucke wrote:
KrypteX wrote:
WilsonMichaelD wrote:

I just got the 740N (unfortunately v6). The modified version of DD-WRT firmware from this thread shows Router Model: WR841ND v11 when flashed onto the 740N v6 device.

The router is now not able to use OpenVPN, which it originally should be, if I recall correctly. It just shows PPTP Server and PPTP Client as VPN options, but on the Help Bar it shows OpenVPN descriptions... Kind of weird. Any idea if there's going to be a "real" beta version of dd-wrt (that shows up here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ ) for the v6 version of this router? I need OpenVPN support on my router ..I bought the 740N instead of the 841ND explicitly because I needed OpenVPN, but now I'm stuck with the 841ND firmware Confused

well to run OpenVPN you need min 8MB or more flash size router, all other attempts are useless, so get another router...
for good VPN speed you even need a decent router with good CPU, so go and find something else before you even dare to start with VPN ....
i can recommend you TP-Link wr1043nd v2 or v3 or DIR-862l, and more decent device excellent for VPN is R7000....

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
zwucke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 0:59    Post subject: Re: Confused - TL-WR740N Models? Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
zwucke wrote:
KrypteX wrote:
WilsonMichaelD wrote:

well to run OpenVPN you need min 8MB or more flash size router, all other attempts are useless, so get another router...
for good VPN speed you even need a decent router with good CPU, so go and find something else before you even dare to start with VPN ....
i can recommend you TP-Link wr1043nd v2 or v3 or DIR-862l, and more decent device excellent for VPN is R7000....

I read the dd-wrt documentation, and it told me to buy the 740N to have support for OpenVPN.

See here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F

Could the reason be that the dd-wrt firmware for my v6 version of the router is just a cheap hack? (I got the firmware from here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=301905 ) It displays "TP-Link TL-WR841ND v11" as my Router Model within the firmware (and the 841ND in fact doesn't support OpenVPN). But this should be a firmware error, not a hardware problem, right? There is no official dd-wrt version for my v6 router.

This is the router information and VPN screen: http://imgur.com/a/aWyoY (especially see the open vpn help documentation on the side, but no option to enable it)

I also just want to use the router as a VPN client, not as a server. Do you still recommend a router with a better CPU?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
well wiki page could contain outdated info...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=761473
yes for any VPN client or server you'd need powerful router
as VPN uses encryption witch is CPU intensive...
740 is very very outdated device its only for very basic stuff it does not have CPU that could even support good WAN performance i use it only as a switch or for minor routing...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: