Need help in setting up house WLAN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Xponent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:35    Post subject: Need help in setting up house WLAN. Reply with quote
I have a 2-storey house. My DSL terminates in my bedroom (upstairs) where I have a WRT54G hooked up to the modem. I have a desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) in the bedroom.

My home-office is exactly in the diagonally opposite corner. I have a WAP54G setup in the room midway in repeater mode. Due to this I get (at best) a "Low" signal downstairs.

I would now like to include a desktop machine in the office and setup a wired LAN down there. I would also like the ability to use wireless downstairs and cannot run any wires between rooms; needs to be a purely wireless solution. What are my options ?

Room 1 (upstairs): Modem --> WRT54G --> PC1 (Wired) + Laptop1 (Wireless)
Room 2 (upstairs): WAP54G (repeater)
Room 3 (dnstairs): (SOMETHING) --> PC2 (wired) + Laptop2 (wired/wireless)

Other hardware I have at my disposal include: a) A second WRT54G, b) Netgear WG602 AP, and c) Older Dlink DI-504 (b only) Router.

Ideally, I would like to use the 2nd WRT54G in some mode that will allow me to use the 4-Port switch for the LAN downstairs.

Please help !
Sponsor
.D0T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:23    Post subject: Re: Need help in setting up house WLAN. Reply with quote
Xponent wrote:

Ideally, I would like to use the 2nd WRT54G in some mode that will allow me to use the 4-Port switch for the LAN downstairs.
Please help !

Sounds like client or client-bridge mode to me ;)

But this way the wireless signal itself won't be repeated by the wrt so perhaps the notebook downstairs can't receive anything. If that's the case you could take a look at repeater mode of dd-wrt! Not exactly sure what it does but I understood it like a config in which the dd-wrt ist a client with a virtual ap attached to it....this mode is of course v24 only!

Another solution could be to use a pure wds network! I'm not exactly sure what mode your repeater uses and wheter it is able to participate in a wds but basically a wds would do what you want. It would spread your wlan over all connected routers and give clients the ability to connect both, wired and wireless, to the routers! WDS has some nasty disadvantages so you should first inform yourself if it suits your needs!

MfG
.D0T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: