Best option for router with external antenna?

jtbryant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 20:19    Post subject: Best option for router with external antenna? Reply with quote
So I'm about 100-150 yards from my neighbors AP, and we're very rural. He actually has a bridge to the DSL at his business because we are too far out to get DSL. He's allowing me to piggyback, and I have 3 computers, 3 laptops, and an XBox One in case bandwidth usage might make a difference.

I'm looking for a new router because the one I have running DD-WRT (Linksys WRT54G) can only get 30% signal strength, and it locks up pretty regularly or runs slow as Christmas, probably because I have it sitting outside in the heat, but that's the only way I can get to 30% signal strength.

Suggestions? I'm looking for something that I can put an external antenna on so that it can sit in the air conditioning. Can you give the best 802.11g, n, and ac options? Best antenna for that application. Line of sight is pretty good, might have a couple of branches from an oak tree blow into view, and the occasional car pass by. He's up the hill, and I'm guesstimating 100-150 yards, but it's probably less than that.

Thanks,
JT
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read a post from another member recently about windsurfer attachment which you attach to the antenna to increase its gain and directivity. Do a google search for windsurfer antenna template and you should be able to find more information on how to DIY one for yourself. Although I am not sure how effective it is, it is probably worth to try as the cost is not that much.

As for new router, r7000 from Netgear got pretty good review in terms of range.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check out Mikrotik. Something like the SXT Lite2 as a client seems like it'd be ideal. Point it at the other house and run your ethernet inside. You don't need other wires running to it, as it comes with a PoE injector. The ethernet signal travels much better in a wire than the antenna signal. Even with a low loss line, you still lose quite a bit. This one is inteneded for outdoor use. Better yet, see if you could install one at your neighbor's as well, depending on your budget. Even with one though, I would think it'd offer quite a bit better signal. I think TP-link has outdoor equipment priced similarly as well. Equipment intended for this purpose will offer much better performance, and $50 seems pretty reasonable.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ubiquiti devices are an antenna and a router in a single unit. If you put routers in windows, with line of sight, you should be able to do 150 yards without the need for directional antennas.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: