WiFi problems with Linksys E2500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:50    Post subject: WiFi problems with Linksys E2500 Reply with quote
Hi,

I recently purchased a Linksys E2500 N600 v.3 router and flashed it with:
dd-wrt.v24-23569_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500V3.bin

I changed it's local ip from 192.168.1.1 (gateway has that) to 192.168.1.2, connected with ethernet (from ethernet port to ethernet port) to the network's gateway and everything went smoothly, didn't even have to configure the router further (even though i did just to be safe) to get LAN and internet up and running.

Problem is with WiFi, initially, when the router was hard reset after flashing dd-wrt, i couldn't see any SSIDs broadcasted by it when i looked from my laptop. When i looked at the router, it was supposed to be broadcasting on channel 6 (2,437 Ghz) with a channel width of 20 MHz but it wasn't :-/

I played a bit with security (added wpa2 with aes) and changed channels (from 6 to 1) and nothing happened.
After that i added a virtual interface WITH security and only then the WiFi SSIDs actually showed up.

I can disable the virtual interface without losing the WiFi, but if i disable their security they vanish.
Is it possible to have my access point open? I'm looking to make a captive portal so having a solid wlan i essential to me. Any insight on the matter will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsor
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys, anyone? I'm not experienced with DD-WRT so please, any feedback would be REALLY appreciated.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Install this on it
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/05-02-2017-r31924/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-31924_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

or -
If you have a internet connection faster than 50 you would be better off installing a Shibby Tomato build.
The 5 GHz radio also works on tomato firmware but it aint worh a crap (referring to E2500v1) prone to
causing reboots often .. more so when really loaded ... so if you go with a Shibby Tomato firmware best
just to disable the 5 GHz and you will have a good stable router.

EDIT:
You can/should read all these pages for bit of info about your router and some different builds
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287384&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

EDIT:
for when you need to put Linksys FW back on it -
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1065523
ok I'm done ...
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks mate!

Gonna play around a bit & do some more research and post results and/or any new questions that occur Smile

Last edited by nic3ts on Thu May 25, 2017 4:59; edited 1 time in total
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey there again Smile

Again, thanks for the info and suggested reading material you provided, it proved of great value.

So, my current flash is dd-wrt.v24-31924_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500 which practically insta-fixed my Wifi problems. WiFi was broadcasting from scratch, as it should have been.

I configured the router as an access point with it's own DHCP server (multiple DHCPs on the same network - DHCPD) practically creating a subnet (IPs like 192.168.2.X, while the IPs of the main network are like 192.168.1.X).

I also created a virtual interface and isolated the physical interface (private network) from it (guest network).

Next, I created two bridges (one with the main network and one between the physical and virtual interface) so the guest network can access the Internet. Finally, some firewall rules and DNSMasq options and the router was finally shinning bright Smile

Everything is working fine so far.

Now, my end-game is to get all clients who connect to the guest network redirected to a web page (let's say a simple hello world page to begin with) on a local webserver (on connect) and then provide internet to them.

How do i get from here to there?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the Hotspot Tab in the router's GUI.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/HTTPRedirect

The web server must be located on the wan side of the router.
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've looked on HTTP redirect before posting, i also glimpsed on Sputnik (definately not what i need), Chilispot and Dog Wifi.

With my currect configuration for HTTP redirecting i'm getting Internet access on the guest network but no redirection. :-/

My configuration is as following:

Destination IP: (Server's IP on the local network, like 192.168.1.69)
Destination Port: 80 (this is what my webserver has open)
Source Network: 192.168.2.0 (as i want everyone on the guest network (who will have an IP of 192.168.2.X, redirected).

Correct?

Right now, webserver is connected via ethernet to the modem (not the ddwrt router) and has a static local ip of 192.168.1.69 & gateway 192.168.1.1. I guess that makes him part of the WAN, right?

Finally, my WAN connection type on the ddwrt router is set to Disabled, as i'm using DHCPD.

Am i doing something wrong?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
nic3ts wrote:
Finally, my WAN connection type on the ddwrt router is set to Disabled, as i'm using DHCPD.

As the WAN port have an ip of 192.168.1.X and is the connection to you main router, it cannot be disabled?
nic3ts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Modem and router are connected lan to lan, not lan to wan, that's why WAN connection type (1st thing on the setup page of ddwrt) is disabled.

It was originally (default) set as autoconfiguration (dhcp) but i disabled it since it wasn't suiting my needs.

Also, my WAN port is set as a switch port.

Should i pursue a different build with WAN connection enabled? If so, which part of the network should the webserver be connected to?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
It must be lan-wan for the http redirect to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: