Extremely slow Wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
CounterC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 14:22    Post subject: Extremely slow Wifi Reply with quote
Hi,

I own a Dlink dir615 ver D router for over a year now.
I've been flashing DDWRT on it whenever there is a new release and at the moment it's running r29519 (June 02 2016).

My problem was not introduced with this release but now I took the time to really investigate it.

As you can see in attachment my network is pretty simple:
ISP router => Dlink => Devolo (Powerline)
Both Dlink and Devolo create wireless networks but all in range 192.168.1.x

I use the Android DDWRT app for monitoring and WOL commands.

When I test speed on the ISP router I get close to 100mbps down/10mbps up, which is what I pay for.
If I test the speed on the Desktop PC (192.168.1.134) I get also close to 100mbps, so Dlink and Devolo is fine when wired.

However on wireless it's a different story.
Speeds are very bad and sometimes non existent. On some speedtests I even have network communication issues before the test start or I would get values down/up of 5mbps/0.01mbps, crazy!

These speeds happen mostly on my OnePlus 2 phone so you would think it's the phone.
However when I test the wireless network of the Devolo I get consistent down/up of around 40/9 mbps. Still only half of my connection but so much better than the wireless network of the Dlink itself.
That's why I'm thinking the problem lies in the wireless performance of the DDWRT Dlink router.
I've also tried to optimize the wireless settings but to no avail.

It's useful to know that in the beginning (stock Dlink firmware) I didn't see this problem.

What I have not tried is reverting DDWRT firmware to an older version, but I would not really know which version to revert to.

Maybe someone has seen this problem and can shed a light on it, would be very much appreciated.

I will do some more tests in the meantime...

Thanks.
Sponsor
CounterC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15    Post subject: Re: Extremely slow Wifi Reply with quote
CounterC wrote:
Hi,

I own a Dlink dir615 ver D router for over a year now.
I've been flashing DDWRT on it whenever there is a new release and at the moment it's running r29519 (June 02 2016).

My problem was not introduced with this release but now I took the time to really investigate it.

As you can see in attachment my network is pretty simple:
ISP router => Dlink => Devolo (Powerline)
Both Dlink and Devolo create wireless networks but all in range 192.168.1.x

I use the Android DDWRT app for monitoring and WOL commands.

When I test speed on the ISP router I get close to 100mbps down/10mbps up, which is what I pay for.
If I test the speed on the Desktop PC (192.168.1.134) I get also close to 100mbps, so Dlink and Devolo is fine when wired.

However on wireless it's a different story.
Speeds are very bad and sometimes non existent. On some speedtests I even have network communication issues before the test start or I would get values down/up of 5mbps/0.01mbps, crazy!

These speeds happen mostly on my OnePlus 2 phone so you would think it's the phone.
However when I test the wireless network of the Devolo I get consistent down/up of around 40/9 mbps. Still only half of my connection but so much better than the wireless network of the Dlink itself.
That's why I'm thinking the problem lies in the wireless performance of the DDWRT Dlink router.
I've also tried to optimize the wireless settings but to no avail.

It's useful to know that in the beginning (stock Dlink firmware) I didn't see this problem.

What I have not tried is reverting DDWRT firmware to an older version, but I would not really know which version to revert to.

Maybe someone has seen this problem and can shed a light on it, would be very much appreciated.

I will do some more tests in the meantime...

Thanks.

Tried to flash older firmware from this post https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=945200

Same problem...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: