[Solved]Client Bridge not accessible from Station side

suchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 16:02    Post subject: [Solved]Client Bridge not accessible from Station side Reply with quote
So this is a weird one.

I have a PTP wireless link setup with normal AP mode on Side A and Client Bridge (Routed) on Side B.

Everything is working fine, however I am unable to load up the web gui of the Client Brige device when I try to access from Side A. But I can load all other web guis from Side B.

All devices are on the same subnet, but this issue is driving me crazy since I need access from both sides.

DIR-300 b is the AP and TL-WR741nd is Client Bridge.

Last edited by suchpro on Mon Aug 15, 2016 22:23; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Mike42Smith
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am a little bit confused because you use the client bridge in routed mode but all clients connected to side A and all clients connected to side B are in the same subnet. However routed mode means there have to be different subnets on the client bridge.

Or what do you mean with:
Quote:
...and Client Bridge (Routed) on Side B.

Does a DHCP server service run on the client bridge device for all clients on side B? If you want to have all clients in one subnet just the router on side A should run a DHCP server service. Further you should diable the SPI firewall on side B.

Raspberry Pi and TP-Link TL-WR710N with OpenWRT
suchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike42Smith wrote:
I am a little bit confused because you use the client bridge in routed mode but all clients connected to side A and all clients connected to side B are in the same subnet. However routed mode means there have to be different subnets on the client bridge.

Or what do you mean with:
Quote:
...and Client Bridge (Routed) on Side B.

Does a DHCP server service run on the client bridge device for all clients on side B? If you want to have all clients in one subnet just the router on side A should run a DHCP server service. Further you should diable the SPI firewall on side B.

On the TP-Link TL-WR741ND I have 2 options, Client Mode or Client Bridge (Routed). From what I understand, Client Mode is the NAT version of the bridge while the Client Bridge (Routed) should be just a bridge?

Yes there is only one DHCP server, the two routers in the bridge are just forwarding.

Another thing I noticed is that when I do a traceroute from Side B, the first hop is the IP of the Client Bridge (TP-Link).
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it appears as a hop, it's routed and not bridged.

The difference between Client Mode and Client Bridge, is weather you can connect a client to it or not. Client Mode will not appear as an ap, but Client Bridge will.
suchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
If it appears as a hop, it's routed and not bridged.

The difference between Client Mode and Client Bridge, is weather you can connect a client to it or not. Client Mode will not appear as an ap, but Client Bridge will.

Considering that I only need the ethernet link and since it's apparently already routing (maybe because of the MAC rewriting?) maybe I should try Client Mode instead of Client Bridged (Routed).

Is there I can disable routing on the Client Bridge?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
suchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Thank for the link, I will look into this tutorial if by any chance I missed something.

However I am still trying to figure out why the client is doing routing if it's in bridge mode... And why I can't access it from Side A.
suchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
A little update on the situation.

I followed the guide that Per Yngve Berg suggested, however It did not show any difference.

The issue magically disappeared after a few reboots.

I finally switched to client mode as the bridge was very buggy. In a small section of this wiki, they mention the limitation of the bridge function.

The thing is, when you make a wireless bridge, all devices that are connecting from Side B to Side A will be seen as the Side B router because the router will rewrite all the devices MAC addresses to it's own.

For me this caused much more issues that solutions so I switched to NAT, at least now the network is stable-ish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: