isolating an ap on one of 2 routers linked by ethernet

gavsiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:24    Post subject: isolating an ap on one of 2 routers linked by ethernet Reply with quote
So I have 2 different routers, an R7000 and a WRT610n flashed as E3000, connected to each other through Ethernet to extend my WiFi coverage. Both are dual band, so I have 4 APs. I want to isolate an AP for public (but password protected) use.

Let's call the R7000 router 1 and the E3000 router 2.

Router 1 is connected to the internet and is the DHCP server. Router 2 has pretty much everything disabled including DHCP server. The AP that I want to isolate is on router 2. On the 2.4ghz band, I enabled AP isolation and disabled wireless GUI access.

My problem is that when I'm connected to router 2 and while I can't access the GUI for router 2, I can still access the GUI for router 1. The other problem is that it does not seem like AP isolation is working. I can still access my network drives.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you look for how to disable wi-fi GUI access
add this lines !!!

code:
iptables -I INPUT -i <wireless-interface-name> -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP

just replace with your ssid name

IP isolation works only over AP wi-fi for one device only
there are other possibilities to isolate AP with IPtables
commands.
accessing your device 1 from device 2 is over LAN so different command should be used

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
nskware
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
AP isolation only isolates Wireless clients, So if AP has two wireless clients associated with it, they wont be able to talk to each other. AP isolation does not prevent wireless client to talk to wired clients.

To better understand you might want to read https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#AP_Isolation

Reason you are not able to access GUI on router # 2 is probably because of AP isolation. If you turn AP isolation off or if you connect to router via Ethernet, it should work. I have my Guest network configured so that they cannot access router's GUI Wink.

In order to isolate Guest network from you home network, a simpler way would be to use Virtual Wireless Interfaces (WLANs). WLANs allows you to server multiple SSID form the same router, so you wont even need second router (Provided your firmware supports it). But if you really want to use second router, then all you need are some iptable rules in first router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: