New Kong's build: DD-WRT 30465M - 2016/08/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
howard30
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
After 3 days uptime, my samsung note 2 cannot reach wan though it links through wl0 and wl1 fine. The strange thing is my note 3 ok with wan. Everything backs to normal after rebooting.

Router: R8000
Sponsor
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong,

In the interest of finding the cause of the dropped clients issue, could extra statements be added to Syslog to help diagnose this? Yesterday when all my wireless clients dropped on my R8500, it was right after adding a new iPhone to my 2.4 Ghz wireless so unless that was coincidence, I'm suspecting that something is happening when a new client connects that could cause a lockup in the wireless if something goes wrong.

All clients were still connected but couldn't transmit or receive any data as far as I could tell. Nothing in Syslog and the Tx/Rx errors were not increasing. It was as if the wireless interface was just "brain dead", so I'm wondering if some sort of check could be added or some statement could be added that monitors wireless clients and could detect when data passthru stops? I'm thinking some sort of authentication error must be happening that is non-recoverable. I don't know whether it's at the kernel level, wireless interface level, or what but maybe there's a way to pass that error forward into the Syslog so we can see what caused the brain death?

Edit: Do you think some sort of "verbose" Syslog option would be possible where kernel messages are passed through to the Syslog? And if Syslog gets too big from that, just limit Syslog to the most recent <however many kB>? I think that might be helpful as Syslog currently logs almost nothing: mostly just repeated dnsmasq acks and requests.

Just a thought.

Mike
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
Uh oh. After about 4 days of uptime, my R8500 just dropped all wireless clients again. My daughter was having a party and complained that our Amazon Echo was brain dead. That was my cue. I checked Blue Iris and sure enough, all eight security cameras said "No signal" and no data was going through the 2.4 or 5 Ghz wireless devices. They were all still connected, just no data... like the previous version.

I did check Syslog just before I rebooted it (which fixed it). As usual, nothing in there but the typical dnsmasq entries: discover, acks, and requests. Now, just before this happened, one of her party guests asked me to type in the 2.4 Ghz password for her iPhone. Right after I did that and her iPhone connected is when this happened. Don't know if it was coincidence or that spurred the problem. That's all the data I was able to gather this time.

Mike

We are running the same build on different hardware, On my R7000 WiFi Router it currently has over 4 days & 18 hours of uptime with 8 SSIDs without any issues so far. I'm leaning toward the R8500's radio drivers as being an issue than the kernel. Did you change anything from the default radio settings? Myself the only changes I made was enabling "Implicit Beamforming" on both wl0 & wl1; plus on one vwlan wl0.3, the guest wifi, I enabled "AP Isolation".

So far for me this build has been as stable as the latest Kernal 3.x.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
SuperSaiyajin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
tried every reset technique , Wifi 2.4 and 5ghz still has same MAC, i just fix this using MAC cloning feature of DDWRT
Thank you sir.

egc wrote:
Linksys EA 6900 (XvortexCFE) has the same problem
But after resetting with WPS button (but not from GUI or from erase nvram), I have the correct MAC addresses.
I do not know if you can reset with the WPS button (press WPS button, unplug, wait 10 sec, restore power and wait 25-30 seconds (on linksys the router starts flashing after approx 25 sec)), but it is worth a try

SuperSaiyajin wrote:
Router:Dlink-DIR860L-A1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30465M kongac (08/23/16)
Kernel:Linux 4.4.19 #77 SMP Tue Aug 23 11:55:44 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset:Yes via WebGui
Errors:
2.4ghz and 5ghz MACadd is the same, is this normal for DDWRT?
Just notice this because my son new phone which is connected to 5ghz channel always disconnects then connect then disconnects almost every second.
by changing the MAC of 2.4ghz just to make it different fix the problem.

I tried flashing the default firmware and it shows different Macs for each band.

Thank you Sir Kong and BS for your Hardwork

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 0:02    Post subject: R8500 WiFi Speeds Poor Reply with quote
Prior to flashing I tested my 5GHz and was getting a steady 170-180Mbs, but after flashing I max out around 50-60Mbs. Less than ⅓ the speed I was getting. Any suggestions? Or settings that I should change? Thanks!
ironmanlok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: v3.0-r30465M kongac (08/23/16)
Kernel: Linux 4.4.19 #77 SMP Tue Aug 23 11:55:44 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset: Yes
Errors: None

This build is definitely a keeper.

OpenVPN server
WiFi 2.4 and 5.0 with Guest Wlan
DNSMasq with few leases and custom script for adblocking
SSH
USB Stick (ext2 and swap)
Samba
Prixovy
Custom firewall rules
Port Forwarding
QoS
WebGUI HTTPS with custom certificate
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
After 90 days of uptime I believe it is time to do an update with this new version.

Can I backup my settings in "Administration -> Backup" and restore it after the update?

Or is it best to do all settings by hand again?

I am asking because I have many MAC+IP binded, port forwardings,.... and an easy way to restore after every update would be nice Smile
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
We are running the same build on different hardware, On my R7000 WiFi Router it currently has over 4 days & 18 hours of uptime with 8 SSIDs without any issues so far. I'm leaning toward the R8500's radio drivers as being an issue than the kernel. Did you change anything from the default radio settings? Myself the only changes I made was enabling "Implicit Beamforming" on both wl0 & wl1; plus on one vwlan wl0.3, the guest wifi, I enabled "AP Isolation".

So far for me this build has been as stable as the latest Kernal 3.x.

Nothing special. The only thing I changed was turning on explicit beamforming (implicit is off). This latest version seems better than previous but it still seems like there's a "hole" there somewhere which occasionally can cause dropped clients and inability to reconnect. All I can do now is wait for it to happen again and when it happens, I go through the status pages to see if I can see any clues. So far, there's nothing in the web GUI to indicate anything is wrong. Clients still show connected but as far as the clients are concerned, they are not connected (connection error).

Mike
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink wrote:
After 90 days of uptime I believe it is time to do an update with this new version.

Can I backup my settings in "Administration -> Backup" and restore it after the update?

I am asking because I have many MAC+IP binded, port forwardings,.... and an easy way to restore after every update would be nice Smile

It's best to do it by hand. You should never upload a backup to a build it wasn't made on. An NVRAM variable could have changed/been added/removed that will brick your router or at least make it unresponsive. If you upgrade, always reset and re-enter settings if you wanna go the reset route. Smile

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink,
the question of do I backup or manually reconfig has been hit ad nauseam.
In the R7000 tip/tricks sticky is a link for how to use a backup script where you can customize exactly what you want backed up.
Using it as a template you can even figure out how to do it manually and once you have it down in a text sheet the first time, pasting the commands in at the command prompt can take less than 5 minutes.

Kong has suggested on multiple occassions that he suggests the average user just reconfig from scratch since you might import something that is going to cause an issue in newer code; however Kong has also in the past notified everyone when a reset to default is required do some command structure change in new code.
Most of the time a dirty upgrade is fine. If it acts up, then you should try a manual reconfig.
ciscodlink wrote:

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Netgear r7000
Reset: No, flashed via ddup.
Errors: None thus far. Speedtests look steady and good, getting full ISP speeds.

Thanks again for your hard work, Kong! Smile

EDIT: opkg's nano package no longer works. Dunno if that's something to mention or not. lol

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the internal library nano has dependency on seems to be broken. In the mean time, before Kong fixes it, you can just install that particular package (package name is in the error message) and set up a symlink to point to that binary (in the appropriate /bin directory nano is looking in).

SinCalChewy wrote:
Router: Netgear r7000
Reset: No, flashed via ddup.
Errors: None thus far. Speedtests look steady and good, getting full ISP speeds.

Thanks again for your hard work, Kong! Smile

EDIT: opkg's nano package no longer works. Dunno if that's something to mention or not. lol
cursemex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7000, encountered an issue. After 5-6 days of working fine, the router suddenly refused connections via wifi on both normal SSID and guests. The WAN and LAN connections dropped as well, could not connect to the internet nor access the router via web. However the router was accessible via telnet, and managed to reboot it through commands.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far after 5 days all is working. I do have 2 wireless device that are connected at all times and they have a connection uptime of over 5 days and 16 hours.

I haven't lost Internet connection plus I have multiple VPN connections and radio & TV streaming has been all working fine so far.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
hal2100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 19:54    Post subject: I found a bug... Reply with quote
I found one bug:
If connected to a VPN, changes in the DMZ page kill the connection for all clients.
A restart of the VPN service is necessary to regain external net access.

Device: R7000

Update from a very old build, with power cycle and reset and nvram erase....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: