QoS settings is so important

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kissofwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 16:40    Post subject: QoS settings is so important Reply with quote
The network I am using is on cable TV, with 4000Mbps download speed, and 256kbps upload speed, shared by 8 people. Recently it always happens that the surfing is slow, or just internet explorer cannot open the search page. Every time after rebooting the modem and router, it will be fine, and soon down again.

By monitoring the packets, we found two users are using the P2P online TV software named TVants. The upstream speed cannot be set in the software, so eventually TVants flood the very limited upstream, making other computers not able to surf internet.

What I did was to set the MAC priority to low, and the listening port of the software to low, also, and set the http to be express, etc... Things are better now, although surfing is still a bit slow.

I think WRT54G does not have enough resource for good QoS service. I am wondering whether a WRT54GS with 8/32MB memory would help.
Sponsor
swinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would get rid of your MAC priority and stick just to Services. Also you didn't mention what you set for your Upload and Download in QoS.
WL520gU (Routing)
Running DD-WRT v24 SP2 - http://www.dd-wrt.com
kissofwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 16:58    Post subject: for Reply with quote
At the QoS page, I set the upload speed to 180kbps, and download to 3500kbps, which is a bit smaller than actualy 256/4000.

FOr application priority, TVants is a new software not included in the L7 definitions in DD-WRT, and port is always changing, very difficult to limit its uploading bandwidth. MAC address priority is more efficient.
bigjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 13:06    Post subject: Re: for Reply with quote
kissofwolf wrote:
At the QoS page, I set the upload speed to 180kbps, and download to 3500kbps, which is a bit smaller than actualy 256/4000.

FOr application priority, TVants is a new software not included in the L7 definitions in DD-WRT, and port is always changing, very difficult to limit its uploading bandwidth. MAC address priority is more efficient.

80% - especially for upstream.
set total tcp ports - 4096
set time outs 120 to 200, no higher.

John

Navigation

Jump to: