Faraday question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
bonzailyte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 20:43    Post subject: Faraday question Reply with quote
So I guess I'm kinda just asking for general info. Everything I find by searching just shows how to shield your phone or router with a Faraday cage. But here goes....

Is removing the Faraday cages on wireless routers bad? Other than possible wireless radiation health risks , are there any negative effects from removing them to the router hardware or connection strength?

the reason I ask is I have this obsession/fetish of putting heatsinks on every IC or CPU chip I can get my hands on. And the really good ones are usually under the Faraday cages Razz

Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so so maaaach. Smile
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe you are referring to the metal cans (I usually call them shielding cans) that are covering the radios and CPUs. Please don't remove them. They are there for a purpose and are part of the design. Removing them will upset the whole design of the router and the unit will fail the regulation test. In the worst case, the radio performance will be seriously affected. Actually, one of the function of the shielding cans is heat sinking although they may not be as effective has CPU heat sinks as found on PC. If you are worrying about heat issues, the most effective way is to add a fan to create a forced ventilation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: