Long distance link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
fnightmare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:14    Post subject: Long distance link Reply with quote
Hi, I want to set a wifi bridge between 2 routers separated 15 Km each other, my first idea was to use 2 Linksys WRT54GS
but I guess TL-WR841ND are better since they are newer and has better hardware.
The thing is I've never set a link at such distance, I only have done it at a few meters, without hardware modifications, with stock antennas and stuff, I'll use LMR400 cable due to its low losses, also I'll use the same hardware on both ends, mounted elevated on a mast to find clear view, my doubts are as follows:
Are TL-WR841ND a good option?
Will 18 dBi Yagi work? do I need more gain or another antenna type?
Am I missing something?
Sponsor
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
fnightmare wrote:
Are TL-WR841ND a good option?

Have you hear about CPEs

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
danymarc wrote:
Have you hear about CPEs

Yes, but I don't have access to the best of them, also it's quite cheaper for me to do it with routers, and the very best reason: I always wanted to do that and I love to learn new stuff Laughing
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you mean 15m or 15Km Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
for 15m both of the routers will work, but for 15km
you need something much more powerful...
https://www.ubnt.com/broadband/#airmax

even thou im not sure you will make it for 15km
the essence of wi-fi is not to have a great range
usually home routers have not more than 18-30 Mwt
power witch limits the range for usually a household
so you better consult somewhere else.....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
fnightmare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
...im not sure you will make it for 15km
the essence of wi-fi is not to have a great range
usually home routers have not more than 18-30 Mwt
power witch limits the range for usually a household
so you better consult somewhere else.....

Yes I meant 15 Km.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi#Venezuela
They made it at 279 Km using ye olde WRT54G without external RF booster, so I guess 15 Km with some smaller antennas is rather doable.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are a lot of tools for calculating wireless link quallity... I used this one couple of times https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/

on the field situation is not that idle.

15km is not "big deal"... it can be done, but I would rather use 24-35dBi Grid rather that 18 dBi Yagi... I saw Yagi with "dish" (parabola)... you can search google on that too...
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
fnightmare wrote:
Yes, but I don't have access to the best of them, also it's quite cheaper for me
Yes I meant 15 Km.

Cheaper?
you'll spend more of a pair of CPEs + headaches
But as you posted
I always wanted to do that and I love to learn new stuff

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your biggest issue with that router and long distance is the MIMO radio technology.
It needs both antennas working together to get meaningful throughput.

Best option:
Don't use antenna cable.
Mount router (in contained box) next to antennas.
Use two antenna at each location (this is for MIMO to work). line-of-sight is a must.
Grid antenna are far superior to yagi -- grid antenna are very cheap now compared to years ago. (best to use 24dBi grid)

If you must use cable the LMR400 is good. I wouldn't go over 25 ft and as I mentioned
you need two of everything at each location for best reaults.

For a DIY and needing to use LMR400 you are probably better off with a couple WRT54G

EDIT:
Just now seen Mile-Lile pictures ... yea that kind of setup is what you need Smile
fnightmare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
15km is not "big deal"... it can be done, but I would rather use 24-35dBi Grid rather that 18 dBi Yagi... I saw Yagi with "dish" (parabola)... you can search google on that too...

Yes I've seen that too, I was also considering Yagi+dish setup.
I thought that Yagi were better than grid, now I know it isn't.

danymarc wrote:
Cheaper?
you'll spend more of a pair of CPEs + headaches

I don't know what exactly I need but I've seen that CPE here are expensive, what hardware do you suggest for this 15 Km link?

mrjcd wrote:
Your biggest issue with that router and long distance is the MIMO radio technology.
It needs both antennas working together to get meaningful throughput.

Best option:
Don't use antenna cable.
Mount router (in contained box) next to antennas.
Use two antenna at each location (this is for MIMO to work). line-of-sight is a must.
Grid antenna are far superior to yagi -- grid antenna are very cheap now compared to years ago. (best to use 24dBi grid)

If you must use cable the LMR400 is good. I wouldn't go over 25 ft and as I mentioned
you need two of everything at each location for best reaults.

For a DIY and needing to use LMR400 you are probably better off with a couple WRT54G

What if I use another router with just one antenna (I'd like to keep it short and simple Smile) like WR741ND? Would this model work for this porpouse?
Yes, my idea is to mount router as close as possible, when I said I'll use cable I meant 2 ft or less, it depends on antennas and mast setup, I have good line of sight, Fresnel zone is clear.
Why do you suggest WRT54G in case of DIY/LMR400?

Thanks everyone.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
fnightmare wrote:
What if I use another router with just one antenna (I'd like to keep it short and simple Smile) like WR741ND? Would this model work for this porpouse?
Yes, my idea is to mount router as close as possible, when I said I'll use cable I meant 2 ft or less, it depends on antennas and mast setup, I have good line of sight, Fresnel zone is clear.
Why do you suggest WRT54G in case of DIY/LMR400?

Thanks everyone.

I really can't tell you about routers other than what I have used and I'm doing <1km.
I put my 24 dBi grid antennas up in 2003 linked with WAP54G running them in bridge mode.
The reason this was put up in first place was due to our ISP had things in real mess back then -- you could
connect to anywhere or anything in the world except another IP in same subnet directly under the ISP.
When ISP got fixed up few years later I was already up running so I've always served internet to this other place.
The old Linksys firmware worked most of the time but when dd-wrt came along it twas better. I then run two WRT54GSv7
in WDS mode for years then went to the WRT160NL and/or the E2100L (those 'bout same thing).
Still running it currently with the WRT160NL.
Some stuff in this post http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1037459

In the old days you didn't have much choice -- I got my stuff from Fleeman Anderson & Bird Corp http://www.fab-corp.com/

Now days there is so much stuff out there --- if you are serious and need it I would suggest http://www.ubnt.com
and/or you can get good stuff from Data-Alliance http://www.data-alliance.net/

If you just want to see what you can do with what you have I'm sure there are lots folks that can give pointers.

good luck -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: