Just want 1st router standard and 2nd router openVPN

Riddller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 23:17    Post subject: Just want 1st router standard and 2nd router openVPN Reply with quote
Hey all. I searched through the forums and couldn't find what I thought would be a simple answer.

I just want to have one router going straight to the internet and a second one going through an OpenVPN direct streaming IP (via the VPN service) so my family can watch Netflix, etc... outside the US.

I have one router (Linksys E8350, stock firmware, no OpenVPN support) hooked to my cable modem and a second router (Linksys WRT1900AC) flashed with DD-WRT hooked up (LAN-LAN) via a powerline adapter to the first. I can swap the order of the routers if it makes things easier, and I don't care about devices on one network being able to see the other.

I received a script from my VPN provider with the static IP included, but it did nothing when I saved it to the startup and rebooted multiple times. I was able to put everything in manually in the OpenVPN section of the VPN tab in the DD-WRT router, and I got a "CONNECTED SUCCESS", but none of my devices actually show an IP address from any VPN IPs, never mind the static IP I'm paying for.

1: Could it be because I have DHCP disabled on my DD-WRT router to make it a wireless access point?
2: To enable the DHCP, I've read that I would have to reconfigure my network as a LAN-WAN, but then wouldn't I have double NAT issues? Would I have to set up port-forwarding?
3: If I swap the order of the routers, how would I make sure everything connecting via the now second (non-VPN) router is actually not going through the VPN? Would that be a LAN-LAN connection?

Looking to see if there are any tutorials on this, and if not, any comprehensive answers.

Thanks a ton!
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think your understanding of 1 and 2 are correct. If double NAT is an issue to you, you should consider connecting both routers to the modem directly instead of cascading them. If the modem has only one LAN port, you can use a cheap 4 ports switch to expand it. Of course it only works if your ISP plan includes two IPs. Otherwise, I think you have to live with double NAT.
Riddller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
I think your understanding of 1 and 2 are correct. If double NAT is an issue to you, you should consider connecting both routers to the modem directly instead of cascading them. If the modem has only one LAN port, you can use a cheap 4 ports switch to expand it. Of course it only works if your ISP plan includes two IPs. Otherwise, I think you have to live with double NAT.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!! Do you know if there's a way (if I reverse the order of my routers) to send everything from the the second (now non-openVPN) router (now connected via LAN-LAN) through to the internet without going through the VPN?
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=989611

There are many other threads on similar subject on how to bypass VPN, just do a google search for how to bypass VPN dd-wrt.
robdavo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spent ages trying to configure my DD-WRT router as a second router hanging off my ISP provide modem. Eventual I gave up and set my ISP provided modem in bridge mode and getting PPPoE passwords from my ISP to set the DD-WRT router up to establish the internet connection.

When Netflix started geo-blocking heavily I then tried to set up Virtual Access Point (ie guest network) and use policy based routing. This didn't work well at all. Policy based routing in the OpenVPN client config works really well if you want to put a single (and live/up) IP through the VPN but caused the router to crash when I wanted to put 192.168.2.0/24 through the VPN. I even tried putting my Smart TV on a static VPN and programming every IP in the range inside the VPN and leaving one outside but that had the same effect.

My thread below received some IP tables that does make this work brilliantly.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=302321&highlight=netflix

If you can't get your Netflix device on a static IP there are some (considerably more complex) discussions about copying the full list of Netflix incoming IPs and setting up routing based on that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you work out how to make your DD-WRT router sit as a second router - probably the ideal solution if it works.
Riddller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks,I'll try that. The movers come tomorrow to pack up my stuff so when I have time in Japan to mess with this, I'll let you know what I come up with. I appreciate the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: