Limiting Auto-channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:14    Post subject: Limiting Auto-channel Reply with quote
In the Wireless/Basic setup page, when I select "Auto" in channel, it selects between channels 1-14. In Brazil, since only channels 1-11 are allowed, it goes straight to channel 14, which its always empty. The result is that my notebook (and other devices) immediately loses connection. Is there any way to limit the auto-channel selection to channels 1-11? I searched and was unable to find where to set this.
Note: I’m using build 30631(2016/09/14), running the build for Aceex NR22

Thank you,

Roberto
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you see Country Settings on top of the Wireless/Basic setup page? Did you set the Regulatory Domain to Brazil? I don't have NR22 so I can't confirm on it myself. On my EA6500, if I set the Regulatory Domain to Brazil, it has only channel 1 to 11 for 2.4GHz.

BTW since NR22 use a Ralink chip so I will move this thread to the Ralink sub-forum.
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, there is no country option in Wireless/basic. The only available option are:
-Wireless mode;
-Wireless Network Mode;
-802.11n Transmisson mode;
-Wireless Network Mode;
-Wireless Channel;
-Channel Width;
-Wireless SSID Broadcast;
-Network Configuration.
And that's all there is in this build.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
In that case, you shouldn't use Auto Channel then. Fix it to a channel within 1 to 11.
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
In that case, you shouldn't use Auto Channel then. Fix it to a channel within 1 to 11.

Is it possible that installing another build I could have that option? I used the build from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/09-14-2016-r30631/.

Thanks,

Roberto
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is possible but I am not sure. However, since the build that you are using is quite recent, it is strange that the option is removed. It could be because the router has only 4M of flash so can't put too many options there. Just a guess though!

BTW, what is the reason for not using a fix channel instead of Auto?
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
BTW, what is the reason for not using a fix channel instead of Auto?

There are lots of other 2.4GHz AP's in our building, and one of them belongs to an internet provider, that uses quite a strong AP that seems to be using auto channel. So, sometimes, my connecting stops working properly because that commercial AP jumped to the same channel I'm using and it does interfere with my AP. Sad
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since the command is no available in the Web-GUI, wouldn't you know how to set this option in the CLI? I searched the wiki, but it's heavily focused in the 'wl' command, which the version I have installed does not have.

Using wl, it would probably be the command 'wl country' or 'wl regulatory'. But without wl, there is no other doc speaking of where I should check. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Roberto
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am afraid I don't have any idea how you can fix the problem besides asking you to buy another router. BTW, have you tried increasing the Tx power setting and see if it helps.
DrydenK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
I am afraid I don't have any idea how you can fix the problem besides asking you to buy another router. BTW, have you tried increasing the Tx power setting and see if it helps.

Yes, I've tried that. Unfortunately, the AP became unstable after increasing the TX power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: