Playstation 4 not work with dd-wrt's UPnP server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Maintel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 17:45    Post subject: Playstation 4 not work with dd-wrt's UPnP server Reply with quote
Hi

my Playstation 4 is not able to open ports with Linksys E3000 router with latest dd-wrt.

It is interesting, because some ports are open for Party, but games do not open any ports (NAT is not Open).

Can someone tell me how to debug incoming commands for UPnP server on my router?

thanks
Sponsor
leadboots5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version are you running?
What is the NAT type shown on your PS4?
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally i use hard configured port forwards. UPNP leaves open some pretty big and easy attackes form a security perspective.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I know I can use DMZ. But I need some ports for another devices (ftp, nas, etc). I tried port forwarding but it is hard to keep with all the ports, because often every game need own ports.

I'm using version dd-wrt.v24-30681_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000. I won't switch to K3x as wifi speed is 3 x slower with that version.

In PS4 settings - network menu - NAT Type has no information value as it is always Type 2, no matter if you have public IP or not.
I'm using Call of Duty games, which show me Moderate status.

But that is not my concern what PS4 is showing, as I can see in dd-wrt web interface that there are no new ports for games, only UDP porta for parties chat function.

So again, how can I debug UPnP daemon?

thanks
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maintel wrote:
In PS4 settings - network menu - NAT Type has no information value as it is always Type 2, no matter if you have public IP or not.
I'm using Call of Duty games, which show me Moderate status.

Type 2 and Moderate are both GOOD indicators and mean your ports are open to the service. The only way you would get Type 1 and OPEN are if you were directly connected to the modem via Ethernet. When you're behind a router, Type 2 is what you want to get. Type 3 is bad.
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it was me, i'd cleared nvram and after that pull power for 30 seconds and try again with either firmware of your choosing. Seems odd that upnp is buggy or the wifi is slow too. That is what i gather on your original post. Were you using the mega build from this month?
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
not true ciscodlink with port forwards and even upnp. i do it often with different systems.

as for how to debug it. you would need to recompile it with debug code built in. now you can get a better look at what is being blocked even with upnp turned on if you know iptables pretty well.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink
You are simply not correct. yes, in playstation menu nat type 1 means directly connected to internet (whatever that means), but as I wrote, call of duty show Nat type correctly. when I enable DMZ Nat type is Open, when I disable it, it is moderate. Really, problem is with UPnP commands, or ddwrt is not accepting them or PS4 is not sending them.

native_tx
original Linksys firmware 12 MB/s via wifi, ddwrt 2.6 - 8 MB/s, ddwrt 3.x - 4 MB/s. I believe that is because of used broadcom driver, as you can read on openwrt's (not ddwrt) wiki page about E3000 model. Simply, nobody has original driver, it can be not powerfull enough open source driver, or proprietary broadcom's driver, but only older version is available. That's about wifi performance, UPnP is different. As I wrote, I'm using mini version kernel 2.6, not mega with kernel 3.x.

cdmarshall
I'm thinking, I will try found some app for windows to test UPnP capability of router, I will post results if I found something like that.
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW my experience with upnp on the PS4 is kind of flaky. For the games that I play in a single console environment, the ps4 does not send requests to open ports. The ps3 had no such issues. Note I run miniupnpd on a linux box whereas ddwrt runs upnpd so the issue is not linked to the choice of upnp daemon.

upnp does work with other applications such as skype, my media server, etc. Last time I checked Warframe on the ps4 did open ports but Destiny does not.

if you google "ps4 upnp" you will come across a few post linking to a blog post which suggest upnp may in fact be broken on the ps4
argman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, there's some problem with ddwrt upnp.

1. sometimes, when I delete opened ports under upnp page, the deleted entry remains there and I have to press "delete" the second time to do the delete action.

2. the opened ports sometimes got stuck and new ports are automatically opened for PS4 game. As a result, a list of opened ports appear on the list. This should not happen as the game should open specific ports only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: