Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a problem with WAN IP being replaced by VPN (gateway IP, not even public IP). I am using Astrill applet.

I have the same problem in two FWs:

DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongal (06/02/17)
DD-WRT v3.0-r32309 std (06/09/17)

What happens is that WAN IP from my ISP (either set as Automatic DHCP or Static IP) is being replaced upon successful connection with VPN server to the IP address of the gateway (so not even VPN WAN IP).

This cause several issues:
1. When VPN is not properly disconnected, it leaves the Gateway IP as WAN IP making the internet not working. Rebooting doesn't help as this IP stays there.

2. When you reboot the router do to watchdog or whatever else, it is the same issue as above.

I believe this is a bug? I don't recall seeing this issue in DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M std (05/15/17)

Expected behaviour: ISP WAN IP should not been changed.
Sponsor
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 20:25    Post subject: Re: Maybe this is a DDWRT bug? Reply with quote
janthony6 wrote:
....by the way, is it possible to update the DDWRT-to-stock firmware to the most recent Netgear firmware?

Yes. To D/L reversion firmware be sure to login to DD-WRT first!

- Magnetron1.1
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
DeXB wrote:
I have a problem with WAN IP being replaced by VPN (gateway IP, not even public IP). I am using Astrill applet.

I have the same problem in two FWs:

DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongal (06/02/17)
DD-WRT v3.0-r32309 std (06/09/17)

What happens is that WAN IP from my ISP (either set as Automatic DHCP or Static IP) is being replaced upon successful connection with VPN server to the IP address of the gateway (so not even VPN WAN IP).

This cause several issues:
1. When VPN is not properly disconnected, it leaves the Gateway IP as WAN IP making the internet not working. Rebooting doesn't help as this IP stays there.

2. When you reboot the router do to watchdog or whatever else, it is the same issue as above.

I believe this is a bug? I don't recall seeing this issue in DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M std (05/15/17)

Expected behaviour: ISP WAN IP should not been changed.

Disabling automatic port forwarding on Astrill applet has resolved this issue.
Johnnyde94
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any one have any reason why vpn will not work? I've done everything instructed from
dd-wrt or the vpn site
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 21:42    Post subject: DD-WRT v3.0-r32070M std Needed Reply with quote
I'm having a lot of WAN disconnects with the latest builds. My R9000 was working much stable without the loss of wan with this build. DD-WRT v3.0-r32070M std
Unfortunately I can't find this file locally. Would much appreciate if someone can hand over this old file back.

Last edited by navigates on Wed Jun 21, 2017 17:39; edited 1 time in total
Navigates123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:28    Post subject: constant wan disconnects with latest BS build Reply with quote
Can some one please upload the file for the r9000.
DD-WRT v3.0-r32070M std

Ever since I have updated the firmware to Kongs build and BS's build, the router is extremely unstable. Note. I have done the erase nvram on every firmware and configured everything manually again. The network works perfect for about 10-15 minutes and then all devices just get dropped.

Rebooting the router may fix the issue but may not.
What has really changed since DD-WRT v3.0-r32070M std that has broken this router so bad.
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have nothing but problems with R9000 running either lates BS or Kong builds. Basically despite having STATIC WAN IP setup, the router can lose internet activity completely. Rebooting does not help. What helps is to change the static IP WAN connection to Automatic DHCP.

The log says WAN is UP but it is not working...

Why on earth so expensive router running DD-WRT lacks support of basic WAN stable functionality?

Coming from Asus / Merlin I am really disappointed. I can plug the cable out of my fiber net modem, yet connection uptime tracker keeps counting - i am not sure which connection uptime is it counting if the cable has been physically removed. Maybe I am missing the trick with DD-WRT.
Navigates123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Johnnyde94 wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
ahm i introduced the cryptodev support, not kong.
for all kernel based crypto its always enabled.
but userspace openvpn you can set "nvram set use_crypto=1;nvram commit" then openvpn will use hw crypto, but since the crypto driver is only working in kernel space it may also decrease the performance due the kernel/userspace memory transfer and context switch overhead

and yes, kong uses the same sources but may have done local modifications. but he contributes back them.

So would you recommend using crypto or not? Im trying to use vpn using Kongs mod to see if the firmware had something to do with vpn not working on my device.

I know one setting that will cause issues with some vpn providers, will probably add an experimental fix soon.

Hi Kong. Would it be possible for you to upload your old firmwares? I'm looking for this specifically.
DD-WRT v3.0-r32070M std

Is there a new version of your build that is coming up? the current firmware's out has made this router very unstable. Nothing compared to the Netgear x8 that used to run this smoothly
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
DeXB wrote:
I have nothing but problems with R9000 running either lates BS or Kong builds. Basically despite having STATIC WAN IP setup, the router can lose internet activity completely. Rebooting does not help. What helps is to change the static IP WAN connection to Automatic DHCP.

The log says WAN is UP but it is not working...

Why on earth so expensive router running DD-WRT lacks support of basic WAN stable functionality?

Coming from Asus / Merlin I am really disappointed. I can plug the cable out of my fiber net modem, yet connection uptime tracker keeps counting - i am not sure which connection uptime is it counting if the cable has been physically removed. Maybe I am missing the trick with DD-WRT.

WAN Automatic DHCP is working quite stable it seems on latest BS build DD-WRT v3.0-r32309 std (06/09/17):
Connection Uptime 1 day, 22:36:09

However when I set static WAN IP there is a connectivity loss at certain point (like around 24 hours) and the connection never restores - even after reboot. The only way to bring it back is to change it back to Automatic DHCP. Any idea why is the static WAN IP broken? Or what could possibly happen here considering I have a static WAN IP from my ISP and R9000 MAC address has been provided to my ISP for authentication as well.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are a residence I find it not likely the ISP gave you a true static IP.
If they did they would tell you exactly what IP/netmask to use. Some do offer static IPs or multiple IPs usually a residence or small business may get a block of 4 IPs which two of the 4 would be usable for internet traffic ... other two would be subnet network address & broadcast. You can probably get whatever you want but true static blocks could be expensive ... large business networks will do this.

Most likley you gave them your router WAN MAC and they stuck it in their system so every time it renewes DHCP it will always get the same IP ...... but it is still DHCP.

I've had the same setup for over 10 years. My ISP charges me a bit more and calls it a static IP but they actually just hold the WAN MAC of an old WRT54GSv2 .... all I have to do is keep up with the MAC and clone it to whatever router I might be using as main to always keep the same IP Smile
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
If they did they would tell you exactly what IP/netmask to use. Some do offer static IPs or multiple IPs usually a residence or small business may get a block of 4 IPs which two of the 4 would be usable for internet traffic ... other two would be subnet network address & broadcast. You can probably get whatever you want but true static blocks could be expensive ... large business networks will do this.

Most likley you gave them your router WAN MAC and they stuck it in their system so every time it renewes DHCP it will always get the same IP ...... but it is still DHCP.

I've had the same setup for over 10 years. My ISP charges me a bit more and calls it a static IP but they actually just hold the WAN MAC of an old WRT54GSv2 .... all I have to do is keep up with the MAC and clone it to whatever router I might be using as main to always keep the same IP Smile

ISP sent me the following details:

Static IP :
Subnet Mask :
Gateway :

DNS 1 :
DNS 2 :

Do you still think it is not a static iP?

The problem is DD-WRT seems to have this feature broken for R9000 at least in the latest FWs from both Kong / BS. Otherwise how on earth can static IP time out internet connection and never come back even after router reboot, unless changed to Automatic DHCP? Details remain ALWAYS the same for Auto DHCP (ip, mask, gw).
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
DeXB wrote:
mrjcd wrote:

ISP sent me the following details:

Static IP :
Subnet Mask :
Gateway :

DNS 1 :
DNS 2 :

Do you still think it is not a static iP?

The problem is DD-WRT seems to have this feature broken for R9000 at least in the latest FWs from both Kong / BS. Otherwise how on earth can static IP time out internet connection and never come back even after router reboot, unless changed to Automatic DHCP? Details remain ALWAYS the same for Auto DHCP (ip, mask, gw).

If they sent you that info then that should work.... might be a problem w/r9000 ??? I dunno.

If renews on DHCP after a reboot to the IP it's supposed to have then that is what I would use ... ummm until someone else says different.
'bout all I know

EDIT:
If it does come up with the correct IP using DHCP after a reboot ... you can change 1 number in its WAN MAC and reboot or renew DHCP then see what you get .... change it back and then see what happens ..
... just a thought Confused

The thing is you say it breaks after 24 hrs .... most ISPs have a 1440 minute DHCP renewal like most other router default settings .... If they gave you a STATIC IP then something wrong in their system --- or possibly, I suspose, problem w/r9000 ----
Navigates123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:26    Post subject: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
I have a dual router solution. My primary ISP's modem is Dlink DIR-868L. I have not found a way to extract my pppoE password from the router as it is auto configured via ACS. The provider wouldn't give it. I can see the password on the admin page with a ******. I've tried the inspect element trick but that didn't work. I have tried to do a dump on telnet but can't figure out the username and password as none of the accounts work. The only account on telnet that gives a response is the root, but without the password that is useless. If there is a way to get this information extracted from the router, that would be great.

The backup file is encoded in the .enc format as well.

As for dhcp vs static. The dhcp is broken on the latest firmwares by Kong and BS. The old firmware had this working fine. If I set the ip from dhcp to static, the router will loose all of the network and I'll have to hard code the ip to get back into the admin page. Regardless, the internet goes down even with the staic ip on the TCP/IP settings on the PC which was done to get back in.
The only way to fix this annoying buy is to factory reset and do an nvram erase/reboot. For now I'm staying away from static as it is surely broken and is a bug.

The router from time to time looses all internet once a week and requires a hard reboot. I didn't have such issues with the Netgear X8 so its surely an issue with the firmware and this router.

Not sure what are the benefits of crypto but I haven't seen any in performance. Look forward to kongs next build.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:49    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
Navigates123 wrote:
As for dhcp vs static. The dhcp is broken on the latest firmwares by Kong and BS. The old firmware had this working fine. If I set the ip from dhcp to static, the router will loose all of the network and I'll have to hard code the ip to get back into the admin page. Regardless, the internet goes down even with the staic ip on the TCP/IP settings on the PC which was done to get back in.

The WAN does not influence the LAN, unless you have set the same network i.e 192.168.1.1 on the lan that is used on the wan. In that case change the lan to 192.168.2.1.
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

The WAN does not influence the LAN, unless you have set the same network i.e 192.168.1.1 on the lan that is used on the wan. In that case change the lan to 192.168.2.1.

That is correct. My lan on my ISP provider router is 192.168.1.x and my second router is 10.10.10.x. There are no conflicts here. but I can assure, if I change the dhcp wan to static and hard code 192.168.1.15 for example, the internet will go down, the dhcp server on ddwrt will cease to work and will require a whole nvram clear for it to start working again. This was not the case with the initial firmware.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 28 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: