Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a tutorial somewhere on installing a chrooted debian instance once DD-WRT is installed? I can't seem to find anything worth while. Seems like installing Entware-ng won't be a problem.... but after doing some googling, I've found next to nothing valuable in terms of installing a chrooted debian instance.

I'm trying to tackle getting Plex on the R9000 with DD-WRT installed.

You could always install Plex on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi. There are plenty of how-to tutorials out there and it's a lot less frustrating.

No offense, but that really wasn't helpful at all. if I had wanted to install Plex on a raspberry pi then I wouldn't have posted something here about dd-wrt and Plex and I would have gone to the plex forum and looked for information on the raspberry pu. Also, no I have to disagree that for my setup, I don't want a raspberry pi. I've messed with this before and I feel the raspberry pi plex install is actually MORE problematic, and I've had tons of issues with it in the past.

The point of the post was to try and install plex alongside a dd-wrt install on a single piece of hardware.
Sponsor
s1mf3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
usaf-lt-g wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a tutorial somewhere on installing a chrooted debian instance once DD-WRT is installed? I can't seem to find anything worth while. Seems like installing Entware-ng won't be a problem.... but after doing some googling, I've found next to nothing valuable in terms of installing a chrooted debian instance.

You could always install Plex on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi. There are plenty of how-to tutorials out there and it's a lot less frustrating.

No offense, but that really wasn't helpful at all. if I had wanted to install Plex on a raspberry pi then I wouldn't have posted something here about dd-wrt and Plex and I would have gone to the plex forum and looked for information on the raspberry pu. Also, no I have to disagree that for my setup, I don't want a raspberry pi. I've messed with this before and I feel the raspberry pi plex install is actually MORE problematic, and I've had tons of issues with it in the past.

The point of the post was to try and install plex alongside a dd-wrt install on a single piece of hardware.

to be fair you dont need plex.
take a look at kodi - its like plex but opensource
also you dont need to run any kodi server. just setup some shares (eg smb) on your ddwrt r9000 and use kodi to watch everything.
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tyke wrote:
yodog wrote:
SHould us r9000 users just go back to netgear firmware ?

I have - its more stable for me.

I have zero stability issues with my r9000. I just don't use any of the fancy features it potentially offers. Is the netgear firmware still faster in latency/speed tests? I just use this router for online competitive fps games and the fact that I am extremely impatient and refuse the idea that I have to wait for my computer/network hardware and not the other way around.
usaf-lt-g
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
s1mf3r wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:

also you dont need to run any kodi server. just setup some shares (eg smb) on your ddwrt r9000 and use kodi to watch everything.

Again - I appreciate people chiming in, but it's really off topic. I don't nor am I looking for an "alternative" solution such as KODI or running plex on something else.

The bottom line, is I'd like to get the R9000 running DD-WRT AND PLEX. I believe if I can get debian installed somehow after DD-WRT is flashed, then I can get Plex installed.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
usaf-lt-g wrote:
s1mf3r wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
usaf-lt-g wrote:

Again - I appreciate people chiming in, but it's really off topic. I don't nor am I looking for an "alternative" solution such as KODI or running plex on something else.

The bottom line, is I'd like to get the R9000 running DD-WRT AND PLEX. I believe if I can get debian installed somehow after DD-WRT is flashed, then I can get Plex installed.

bottom line, there is NO plex with ddwrt. buy a used cheap desktop & put whatever on it, plug it into router, done.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Cosier34
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12    Post subject: my night hawk x10 r9000 ddwrt router Reply with quote
hi guys i was wondering if you could help me have a netgear nighthawk x10 r9000. i was wondering what firmware should i use? i am running openvpn with torguard openvpn config for ddwrt. i have a 100mbps line speed but i am having trouble with the speeds of about 15mbps to 10mbps and when i disconnect from router i get about 90mbps but when connect to the router again with openvpn turned off i still get relative slow speed. with the vpn on or off when connected to the router please help
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently, last few BS releases have issues with R9000 like random rebooting.
The only build that seems to be stable is from Kong:
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K4-AC-ALPINE/
It is more than a month old, Kong seems to be busy with other routers. Sad

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
marekop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. It's true. At least existing and 2 previous BS builds are not usable. Only Kong builds are stable.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is unfortunate that still BS wants to support old routers which is why all these issues.
He can do a much better job if he just only focus on new and state-of-the-art routers.
In fact I have been donating my old routers, once they are four years old.
I have three AC5300 routers(Asus-RT5300, Dlink-DIR895L and Netgear R8500)
are sleeping at home due to the lack of support as repeater bridges.
No dd-wrt firmwares supports these as repeater bridges. Sad

3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
It is unfortunate that still BS wants to support old routers which is why all these issues.
He can do a much better job if he just only focus on new and state-of-the-art routers.

i think bs's issue is constantly doing anything possible to make everything "smaller" even when its measured in BYTES, even in single digits. breaks it in the process, then continues on like all is well cause its very clear, there is minimal testing done if any, & the testers arent being listed to whatsoever. example: qos.. any rate limiting besides globals (netmask, mac etc)

the other part is his own random changes that he thinks is right, or follows cause someone says so (this is why beamforming is partially broken in ath10k, STILL). and the sloppy channel list thats in qualcomm atheros devices, half are invalid. but he thinks theyre right still.. even kong knows its bullshit, he dont seem to want to listen to him either.

theres more, but u get the idea, doesnt pay attention to users' reports, the lack of testing makes me think hes eyeballing the code instead etc.

thats my 3 cents..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

marekop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys, so what firmware for R9000 You can suggest? Kong's firmware working well so far. I know Voxel's but VPN is not working with DD-WRT VPN. OpenWRT firmware is outdated, stock firmware GUI is ugly and QOS not effective for more complicated network (no QOS for interface, per device QOS only).
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of now it is Kong's build. But remember his build too based on BS updates. He chooses not to release his firmware when there are issues with BS updates.
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
SimonB79
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
labo wrote:

i think bs's issue is constantly doing anything possible to make everything "smaller" even when its measured in BYTES, even in single digits. breaks it in the process, then continues on like all is well cause its very clear, there is minimal testing done if any, & the testers arent being listed to whatsoever. example: qos.. any rate limiting besides globals (netmask, mac etc)

the other part is his own random changes that he thinks is right, or follows cause someone says so (this is why beamforming is partially broken in ath10k, STILL). and the sloppy channel list thats in qualcomm atheros devices, half are invalid. but he thinks theyre right still.. even kong knows its bullshit, he dont seem to want to listen to him either.

theres more, but u get the idea, doesnt pay attention to users' reports, the lack of testing makes me think hes eyeballing the code instead etc.

thats my 3 cents..

Broken upper 5ghz channels was the 1st thing I noticed when using BS on my R7800 with VHT160 🤦🏼‍♂️ .... went back to Kong pretty much instantly and never looked back .... I’d rather wait for a nice stable well tested build! 🤓
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is the R9000 still a good router ? Smile? Or is there something better now?
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
yodog wrote:
So is the R9000 still a good router ? Smile? Or is there something better now?

It depends really. I have personally had not luck in configuring VLANs properly. However it's the best router for my purpose, which is VPN where I can max out my 100/20Mbps connection. I use Kong's FW with Astrill applet and it works stable for weeks. However I still think that Asus + MerlinWRT is more user friendly for majority of users if CPU speed is not that relevant.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 34 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: