Asus AC87U wifi network weirdness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
00bins
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 15:17    Post subject: Asus AC87U wifi network weirdness Reply with quote
Hi all

I have an Asus RT87U, flashed with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30731 std (10/06/16)

Apart from some static leases, everything is pretty much vanilla / untouched from when I flashed

It's connected to a Virgin Media Super Hub 3 box, which is not in Modem mode. I suppose this might be significant but the reason it's like that doesn't pertain to the problem I'm describing here. This box also has wifi disabled.

Everything on my LAN is working fine afaict. There is a printer, a few laptops, some desktops, some squeezeboxes, a raspberry pi running Kodi and Logitech Media Server (LMS).

However I can only connect Wifi devices to the LMS when I connect to the network on wl1, which is the 5Ghz one. If I connect on the 2.5Ghz one it never connects. LMS also has a web server, which is accessible on port 9000. Once again if I connect to it on the 5Ghz nic it's ok, but not on the 2.5Gz.

What's even more confusing is that if I run a python simple web server on the raspberry pi I can connect to that fine.

I just need some tips on what to start looking at (logs, netstat, etc...) to help diagnose the problem. I've turned on syslog but so far the log file is empty.

Thanks
Rob
Sponsor
00bins
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
After posting this I realised that I couldn't ssh into the rasberry pi from a linux laptop that was connected to the router on the 5Ghz channel. This led me to a blog post about packet fragmentation and MTU sizes. I changed the MTU on the pi eth0 and the laptop to 576 and was able to connect using ssh and also connect to the LMS from the laptop and my mobile devices.

I still would like to know why this would be needed and why the 2.5 and 5 Ghz channels behave differently.

Cheers
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: