Restricting 2.4GHz channels to US legal range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Jaitsu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35    Post subject: Restricting 2.4GHz channels to US legal range Reply with quote
Model: DIR-810L rev. B1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30796 std (10/25/16)

I just got DD-WRT set up on my DIR-810L, and during configuration, after setting the 2.4GHz channel width to Wide HT40/40 MHz, channel selection is locked to Auto. Now, this wouldn't be a problem, but by having it on Auto, according to my client devices, it's using channel 13, which could get me in trouble here in the US where only 1-11 are allowed. Right now, I'm using 20 MHz in order to enable channel selection just to keep it on channel 11. Is there a setting I'm missing to specify my region and thus prevent it from using restricted frequencies? I don't care if it's locked to Auto, I just care that Auto is putting it on channel 13.

(Sorry if this would've been better suited for the General subforum, but there was a warning against 'how do I do X' threads, so...)
Sponsor
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The DD-WRT UI controls for channel selection, channel width, and extension channel are interlocked. Changing one will affect the others, so channel reverts to Auto.
  1. Set Channel Width to 40MHz
  2. Click Save
  3. Set Extension Channel to Lower
  4. Click Save
  5. Set channel 11 from the list
  6. Click Apply Settings
  7. Observe Status->Wireless shows channel 11+9
Region is hard-coded in the CFE portion of nvram by the manufacturer. It is not easily changeable.

Edit: 5GHz Wi-Fi is an order of magnitude more complicated, with power levels and available channels dictated per region. I'd advise disabling the 5GHz Wi-Fi unless and until you can fix the CFE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha, thank you! There we go. May have just encountered a bug, though. Upon accessing the settings page after saving after setting Channel Width to 40 and setting Extension Channel to Lower, and saving, the only option in the Wireless Channel drop-down was still "Auto," regardless of applying/saving again. Then I decided to try tinkering with other related settings, and when I changed the network mode from Mixed to NG-Mixed, the channel selection reappeared in the dro-down. Then I changed it back to Mixed, and the channel selection is still available. Strange, but this works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: