Need advice for a G repeater with best wireless range.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
a1strank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:04    Post subject: Need advice for a G repeater with best wireless range. Reply with quote
Anyone know which router has BEST range in repeater mode if flashed with DD-wrt? I've tested WAP54G flashed with dd-wrt and it is not enough range for me, I am guessing the WRT54G will probably have the same range as WAP54G so I'm not going to bother testing the WRT54G. The router I think I'm getting is the WHR-HP-G54 flashed with dd-wrt and using it as a repeater..but if there are any other options please let me know!

Here's the situation..there is a free public wifi 3 blocks down at where I am currently work at but I am getting a very low signal with my laptop..I will have to sit in the very corner of the restaurant(where I work at) to get connected..but the speed is VERY SLOW ..sometimes it takes literally 2 minutes to load google and it constantly drops. I am guessing this is because of all the interference from other stores between the laptop and router..but anyway the router from the free public wifi is using a Netgear WGT624 v4 (I think, not 100% sure)..so it is a pretty bad router to start out with. So in conclusion I pretty much want to extend the wireless range from 2 stores down so people can access the wireless from anywhere in the restaurant..it works OK with my currently WAP54G + homemade aluminum foil antenna but it is not good enoough...thanks for the help
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:17    Post subject: Re: Need advice for a G repeater with best wireless range. Reply with quote
a1strank wrote:
The router I think I'm getting is the WHR-HP-G54 flashed with dd-wrt and using it as a repeater..but if there are any other options please let me know!

That would be my choice for range issues.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Buffalo is a good choice. It has a built in amp. Aside from that, its the antennas that matter, not the router. Linksys routers with better antennas would be fine. See the catfish thread. Search for Catfish.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: