DHCP Forwarder - DHCP Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:57    Post subject: DHCP Forwarder - DHCP Server Reply with quote
Hallo,
behind my ISP-Gateway I set up a DIR-615 as DHCP-Forwarder. No matter what I type in as DHCP Server under "Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)" (192.168.99.1 when f.ex. the gateway has 192.168.99.1) and hit the apply-button, DHCP-Server always stays at 192.168.0.1. Internet connection is working w/o problems allthough the DHCP Server has tha wrong name.
Is that a bug or how should I understand that?
ervau
Sponsor
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a post concerning the same topic I have:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304957&highlight=dhcp+forwarder
There I read that it's fixed in "the next" release.
Is that true? Who knows anything ???
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo eibgrad,
thx for your reply.
But, sorry, it doesn't solve my problem.
My dd-wrt "router" is behind the real gateway (DHCP-server). The dd-wrt only offers DHCP-Forwarder and DHCP-Server. The only option for me is DHCP-Forwarder because to have two DHCP-Servers in the same network doesn't make sense. But choosing DHCP-Forwarder the DHCP-Server address is fixed to 192.168.0.1, no chance to change.
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo eibgrad,
'scuse me for the confusion; it wasn't my intention.
Your first example is "router cascading" with both DHCP=on but different subnets. That's what I had until some weeks ago with all the advantages and disadvantages. Since a FW-update of my ISP-router which now offers fixed leases I have your second example: ISP-router LAN to DD-WRT-router LAN. The DD-WRT-router works as AP or DHCP Forwarder. As the jpeg shows I have the chance to set the DHCP server. And that's what I have a problem with. When I set the DHCP server under "Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)" different to 192.168.0.1 (ven I set gateway/ DHCP-server/ DNS to f.ex. 192.168.39.1) it keeps 192.168.0.1 after "save" or "apply" no matter what I set the ISP-router.
ervau
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
By setting the DD-wrt-router's DHCP-Type to DHCP Forwarder the DHCP-server of this device is disabled.
Question is why under DHCP Server always 192.168.0.1 is set and not the real DHCP server of the network or why I am not able to set the real DHCP server; it seems to be 192.168.0.1 by delault!? No matter whether that makes sense or not.
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
So if I understand you right DHCP Forwarder stands for forwarding to and not for forwarding from?!
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I thought I got it but I don't.
Anyway it works when I set the DD-WRT router to DHCP-Forwarder or when I set it to DHCP Server with DHCP Server disabled. I don't know which one makes more sense. In both cases the devices in the LAN get the IPs from the main router (ISP router).
thx ervau
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I did right now (see jpg).
Up to now it made more sense in my eyes to set up "DHCP Forwarder" as link between the DHCP server and the devices behind the "forwarder" to forward DHCP requests to the DHCP server and to forward IPs to the devices than to set up "DHCP Type" to "DHCP Server" with "DHCP Server" switched off/ disabled.
That sounds to me like pushing the accelerator pedal to accelerate the car and to push the brake pedal at the same time that the car doesn't move.
Anyway it works .
Thanks again.
ervau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: