Random Reboots TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11    Post subject: Random Reboots TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9 Reply with quote
Hello guys,

I'm on the latest beta for my TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9: DD-WRT v3.0-r30949 std (12/15/16)
And I recognize random reboots. I loose my WLAN connection one, two or three times a day and have to wait until the router reboots (up time is resetted after checking control panel).
Router is working as an access point and is set up with this tutorial with the help of my brain: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point#Short_Version_for_Same_Subnet

Is there a "non beta" stable version out for my router?
Or do you know any solutions for my problem?

Thank you!
Sponsor
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also see random reboots, about every couple of days, with my TP-Link TL-WR841N v8 on ddwrt r30880 setup as WAP. With the stock firmware this didn't happen and it would get months of uptime.

It would be nice to get a solution or a mention of a known "good" ddwrt release.
moogpunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
router has been doing this for the past couple of weeks or so. was on an ancient firmware from a couple years ago and since upgraded to the latest beta from december however my router is still losing connection multiple times per day. at least 10 times. this started happening out of nowhere. don't want to have to go back to stock firmware, any ideas????

Last edited by moogpunk on Tue Jan 10, 2017 20:42; edited 1 time in total
ascensions
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here. That and no HT40. Sad
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not a fix but I will add to the conversation. I have (2) ver.9s running #30880 on WDS setup. Both auto reboot at 7:00am every morning. The AP has NEVER yet random rebooted. Often I check status page and it shows 22-23 hrs. uptime. Now the WDS station will on occasion reboot. I mean like once every few days and I attributed this just to distance from AP, channel overlap, weather, est. I don`t have 40Mhz. either.

Last edited by ramblin on Mon Jan 09, 2017 23:18; edited 1 time in total
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
Now the WDS station will on occasion reboot. I mean like once every few days and I attributed this just to distance from AP, channel overlap, weather, est.

Why would any of that cause a reboot? Drop in bandwidth or loss of connection, sure, but reboot?
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don`t know but only the WDS station will occasionally reboot.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ascensions wrote:

Btw, HT40 works fine for me. Maybe you need to switch to Mixed-NG mode or some other setting?
Cmdrwilkens
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reboots thing seems odd. My V9 is setup as a router only (I have it wired into a Powerline network back to my AP) so maybe that stresses it less but I'm currently with 4 days of uptime (and I have a scheduled reboot every 7 days so that's about right) with HT40 working for me.

Only thing might be if you are running a load of other services (NAS, VPN, etc) you can quickly max out the memory resources of the V9 which would cause a reboot do to lack of memory. Even running stripped down I still have some port forwarding rules and a rather large number of wireless clients and it leaves me with about 1 MB, maybe 1.1 or 1.2 of free memory. Running WDS shouldn't be enough but then again I've never run WDS so...
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using it as an AP (also wired into powerline adapter back to router) so aside from SSHd, telnet, and Syslogd, pretty much all other services are disabled. ~10MB of free memory.
ascensions
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
fizikz wrote:
ascensions wrote:

Btw, HT40 works fine for me. Maybe you need to switch to Mixed-NG mode or some other setting?

Tried that and no luck. There's another thread with a lot of others having the same problem. I'm in repeater mode though, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Worked fine on the June build, but after the upgrade... out she went. Not sure as to why?

Speeds are ok otherwise, so it's livable.
tmulroy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having the same rebooting issues with my TL-WR841ND v9. Happens a few times a day. It always reboots within a few minutes, but it's pretty frustrating. Of course, it always seems to happen when it's under heavy load - i.e. when I most need it. Arg!
moogpunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
tmulroy wrote:
Having the same rebooting issues with my TL-WR841ND v9. Happens a few times a day. It always reboots within a few minutes, but it's pretty frustrating. Of course, it always seems to happen when it's under heavy load - i.e. when I most need it. Arg!
is it possible we've all upgraded devices recently and just need the extra horsepower and this router isn't cutting it? There is an updated model for about 10 dollars usd more on amazon
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
moogpunk wrote:
is it possible we've all upgraded devices recently and just need the extra horsepower and this router isn't cutting it?

To my knowledge the reboots aren't due to load. The load averages are generally low and there is usually ~10MB/32MB, or ~30%, free memory.

Of course, I was never looking at the status page just before it robooted..
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
enable syslogd and remote server (find it on ddwrt wiki) to see what is going on at the time of reboot...

do you use p2p?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: