QOS questions/help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
el_jefe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:22    Post subject: QOS questions/help Reply with quote
I have QOS setup(R7000) for my cable connection (230Mbps down/12 Mbps up). I have the downlink set to 218000kbps down, 11200 up with HTB/FQ_Codel. I never actually hit that down limit though. If I test my download speed with a machine that is not prioritized(and no other traffic on the network from prioritized machines), I average out around 137Mbps down. A few questions:

1) Do I not hit that 218 down because of a limit of the hardware?

2). I tried putting in my downlink speed as 218000.5, and oddly enough, my speed tests after that were hitting my full speed around 230Mbps down. Is that because the QOS scheduler/web interface didn't like the decimal? Did it just ignore the number then?

3) If I have my downlink set to 218000kbps, do a Speedtest and check /proc/net/ip_conntrack, my machine does not seem to get put in the "standard" queue(30) as I thought it would(I believe I read that unprioritized machines go to standard queue?). The mark is set to 0. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help or explanations would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsor
decompiled
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R7000 should get closer to 1gbps speeds as long as your not using the VPN. Try switching from HTB to HFSC as it uses less CPU. I don't have ISP speeds as high as you to test but I have found HFSC works as expected at always hitting 95% up/down allocated qos speeds.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7000 will handle IPv4 NAT to about 400Mbps. Testing Internet speed totally depends on the how close the speed test server is to your modem. My ISP has speedtest on their sever and I get full speed showing but if use another speedtest other than my ISP it's always slower.

As for QoS settings I enable it to help control Bufferbloat and I use HTB/FQ_Codel. For QoS limits I use 80% of MAX so that QoS works correctly.

To test your Modem connection speed use a PC/Laptop connected directly to your Modem to see your real world MAX speeds are.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
el_jefe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
decompiled wrote:
The R7000 should get closer to 1gbps speeds as long as your not using the VPN. Try switching from HTB to HFSC as it uses less CPU. I don't have ISP speeds as high as you to test but I have found HFSC works as expected at always hitting 95% up/down allocated qos speeds.

I've tried HFSC before (and I tried it again today as well), but never seem to have much luck using that vs HTB. While HFSC will give me faster speeds (in this case I reach in the 170's) vs HTB, I feel like the queuing in HFSC is slower and noticeable.
el_jefe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
R7000 will handle IPv4 NAT to about 400Mbps. Testing Internet speed totally depends on the how close the speed test server is to your modem. My ISP has speedtest on their sever and I get full speed showing but if use another speedtest other than my ISP it's always slower.

As for QoS settings I enable it to help control Bufferbloat and I use HTB/FQ_Codel. For QoS limits I use 80% of MAX so that QoS works correctly.

To test your Modem connection speed use a PC/Laptop connected directly to your Modem to see your real world MAX speeds are.

I've been using the DSLReports Speed test, as they consistently give me the highest speeds(around 230Mbps down) vs any other test. Even vs the Speedtest server that is here locally!

Using HTB/FQ_Codel has always worked great for me when I was at a lower speed tier with my ISP. I guess I'll experiment and see if different settings work better.

Am I right in that an unprioritized machine should get the standard queue(I only have 3 ip's prioritized on my network using premium/express)? I thought I read that in a thread somewhere though I can't find it now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: