Configuring dd-wrt OpenVPN client w/ PureVPN: Some Advice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
PureVPN doesn't have dedicated DNS and I found that for me at least Purevpn didn't push my ISPs Dns over the vpn. Try adding dns servers on your basic setup page, near the bottom in Static dns 1 and 2.

You can try googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 or OpenDNS, or any number of others you can find with a google search.

As for the speed, maybe using TCP will help, also try to choose a server close to you in location if possible. If that doesn't help then you'll likely need a better router.

I know for me, if I use a server that's failry close my speed barely drops, but the farther away I choose it drops way down, even less than a quarter of my ISP.
Sponsor
ironpink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tx for reply.
this evening i'll try with other dns
anyway my smart tv (samsung ue60f7000) connects to the router but cannot connect to the internet anymore. Shocked
any ideas?

one more question: if i change my router (old tplink 4300 for a new netgear R7000), i can improve speed (openvpn) or it just depend from my ISP / purevpn?

tx
raffaele
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume that with a smart tv you go into settings and select a network to connect to? I don't have a smart tv, but that's how it works with a firestick. Perhaps the tv connecting has to do with the dns issue? Does it connect still if you don't use vpn?

As far as the router, there's no guaranty a new one will substantially increase your speed since there are other factors like proximity to the server to which you are connecting. What I can tell you is that I run a kind of newish, pretty cheap router and my speeds from my ISP are about 29 mbps down and 6 mbps up. Through the vpn (PureVPN) it's generally around 27 down and 5.5 up when I'm connected to a server close to me geographically.
ironpink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i tried with 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. then i restarted the router and it works.

tx to all
raffaele
ironpink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi all here's a new challenge.
everything works fine.
Now what I want to do is enter to my home network from everywhere (then enable WOL for a computer and connect to my NAS). So I decide to
1. Set a dynamic DNS
2. Install a VPN server on my router (still not decided between ttpt or openvpn)

So I’ve registered a no-ip account (free account). But when I try to set a DDNS the router crashes. So I think there’s a sort of conflict on my router between openvpn/purevpn and DDNS. Please note that the only changes from the factory settings is the purevpn configuration (as described in the previous post)

I read something here https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#dynamic but I did not understand too much.

Does anybody have some idea about solve it? (screenshots would be very appreciated)

Tx
Raffaele
arthurwerry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 19:50    Post subject: Re: Exactly, or atleast Reply with quote
THANK YOU! I was knocking myself out with PureVPN tech support and nothing worked. I tried your script and it couldn't have been easier! You are a life saver.

sploit wrote:
Ok everyone, here is a freebie from my business http://sploitworks.com

PureVPN is such a rotten company I feel sorry for everyone.

This is a automated script to install PureVPN on your DDWRT Routers.

Make sure OpenVPN Client is Disabled and Your Router has a WAN connection so it can get out to my .com name and grab the file.
##############################################################################

1) Login to your DDWRT router and go to ADMINISTRATION... COMMANDS

Paste the following code into it.

eval `wget -q -O - http://sploitworks.com/vpnsetups/purevpn-has-rotten-manuals.swi`

2) The router will reboot.

3) When the router comes back up go to the Services... VPN tab and enter your PureVPN username and password and also whatever server you want. Do not change anything else. AT ALL

4) Press Apply at the bottom of the page.

5) Now go to Status... OpenVPN

You should see "Connected Success"

Enjoy

Let users in here know it worked for you and share your results.

I have automated scripts for all other Major VPN's (Top 25 like IPVanish, PrivateInternetAccess, StrongVPN, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc...) also, but I hustle them and they are also guaranteed to work.

Your Welcome

Also @ eibgrad...

Please edit your top post to remove all that crap. It isn't needed and will only confuse people. Wink
kautame
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50    Post subject: Re: Exactly, or atleast Reply with quote
sploit wrote:

3) When the router comes back up go to the Services... VPN tab and enter your PureVPN username and password and also whatever server you want.

HI, sploit.
I've used your script. Everything goes fine, but in my VPN tab there's no field where I can enter username and password (as you can see from my screenshot).

I'm using a Buffalo router with
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/11/13) std
the newest available for this router.

What can I do?
Thank you!
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go here http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads and click on betas. Then choose a more recent year and date and look for your model. A newer build should give you the ability to activate user/pass authentication.
rwijnbelt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Re: Exactly, or atleast Reply with quote
This worked like a charm! I just bought a WRT3200ACM, flashed it and ran this script. The PureVPN """"Help"""" sucked, like you said.

Thanks!!

sploit wrote:

Make sure OpenVPN Client is Disabled and Your Router has a WAN connection so it can get out to my .com name and grab the file.

eval `wget -q -O - http://sploitworks.com/vpnsetups/purevpn-has-rotten-manuals.swi`

3) When the router comes back up go to the Services... VPN tab and enter your PureVPN username and password and also whatever server you want. Do not change anything else. AT ALL

Enjoy

I have automated scripts for all other Major VPN's (Top 25 like IPVanish, PrivateInternetAccess, StrongVPN, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc...) also, but I hustle them and they are also guaranteed to work.

Your Welcome

Also @ eibgrad...

Please edit your top post to remove all that crap. It isn't needed and will only confuse people. Wink
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:01    Post subject: Your Welcome Reply with quote
Glad it's working for ya. There is a company worse than these guys all the way around. I spent well + 6 hours figuring their setup out.

The top worse VPN COMAPANIES to buy for routers

1) PureVPN

2) HideMyAss - Was seriously contemplating suicide while figuring this one out...REALLY HMA Admins? Forced IPV6 Tunnel??? Get The °£°£ outa here.

3) ExpressVPN (WTF IS UP WITH CERTIFICATES FOR EVERY SERVER and GENERATING KEYS FOR EACH USER! SERIOUSLY?)

4) NordVPN (Servers Die Alll the Time and no common Domain Name to Use - EACH SERVER HAS ITS OWN CONFIG!!! - Ya... Another WTF) - UNIFORMITY VPN Admins!!!!

5) SmartDNS Proxy.... Dont get me started on these wack jobs.

Tech Support for all the above are grade A retarded. Especially PureVPN and HMA. Ya... If any of you have been banging your heads trying on them I feel your pain.

Also... I have a crap load of WRT3200ACM's in stock... I VPN Speed tested on PrivateInternetAccess to SiliconValley @ AES-128-CBC and hit 198Mbps - This router is very fast. Gonna Run some tests on 256Bit.

Last edited by sploit on Fri May 05, 2017 23:15; edited 1 time in total
Herog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Re: Exactly, or atleast Reply with quote
sploit wrote:

Enjoy

Your Welcome

Also @ eibgrad...

Can you share PIA configure for OpenVPN as well. For some reason, after configured PIA openVPN, my connection is only 10/10. Without OpenVPN is 80/80.

Thanks,
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 22:06    Post subject: What kind of router do you have? Reply with quote
1) What kind of router do you have?

VPN speeds are controlled in this order.

1) Router Processor Speed (and type)
2) Your ISP connection
3) Distance to VPN server
4) Encryption Strength

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using Netgear R6300 with R31571 release.
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 23:13    Post subject: Uhhhhh Reply with quote
You have a single core 600mhz processor.
and not the best one either. I'd say your max speeds would 14 Mbps over aes-128-cbc

You are partially being limited to your hardware.

If you have chosen a VPN server closest to you then that is your issue.

Funny that a lowly netgear wndr3800 can outperform that. (Been able to get 18-20 Mbps)

But try these settings as your ADDITIONAL CONFIG and use UDP

reneg-sec 0
keepalive 10 120
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
disable-occ
fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set UDP with all the configur but still the same.
I guess that's the best can be done.
thanks for your time.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: