[Question] Just got a Linksys E2500 v1 and want to put DDWRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 20:21    Post subject: [Question] Just got a Linksys E2500 v1 and want to put DDWRT Reply with quote
Hi, so far iv tried everything, but everytime i try to flash the router with the initial firmware which is dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500.bin it always starts but after a few secconds it says "Upgrade Failed", i also tried to flash to the latest Linksys firmware for this router which is FW_E2500_2.0.00.001_US_20140417.bin and still says the same Sad , right now i have Firmware Version: 1.0.07 and this is what iv tried so far without success and the reason for why i need help:

- Tried to do a 30/30/30 then enter the firmware upgrade page using login/pass root/admin and also admin/admin with no other cable connected to the router other than the cable that goes to my pc and still fails

- Tried to flash through TFTP method, it loads the firmware and the TFTP2 app says firmware flash successfull, wait at least 5 mins then reboot the unit and still remains in the same firmware

- Tried 4 diferent computers doing all previous process all over again on each computer with 4 diferent browsers Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer and all the same, heck i even tried an Ubuntu machine and still the same result

So im out of ideas here, its not the first time iv flash a router with ddwrt firmwares, in fact i own arround 14 routers with ddwrt firmwares in it and iv flashed many more in my life, but this is the first time iv seen an error like this and i have no idea what else to do Sad

Note: iv done tons of search over google about this problem and none have found a solution for it but also all posts about it r 3 yrs old Sad
Sponsor
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:18    Post subject: I have flashed tons of these Reply with quote
These are easy routers to flash.

1) make sure you have a static ip set on your machine
2) Use a different web browser. I have had the most trouble with chrome. Use Internet Exploder
3) Wait 7 Minutes after it accepts the firmware. Watch the lights.
4) Make sure you dont flash the firmware from a network drive. I have had issues with that.
5) Sometimes these routers are a little slower than was written about and they take a little longer to flash. After it accepts the firmware... LEAVE IT ALONE. Even for 10 minutes. Once it upgrades it may not reboot automatically and you will need to reboot.

make sure and upgrade to the Big Build.

My notes say:

the wifi is dead on 21061 builds.
Make sure and 30/30/30 after each flash. It is mandatory to upgrade.

Then Upgrade final to 26947 mega
30/30/30
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 14:17    Post subject: Re: I have flashed tons of these Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
These are easy routers to flash.

1) make sure you have a static ip set on your machine
2) Use a different web browser. I have had the most trouble with chrome. Use Internet Exploder
3) Wait 7 Minutes after it accepts the firmware. Watch the lights.
4) Make sure you dont flash the firmware from a network drive. I have had issues with that.
5) Sometimes these routers are a little slower than was written about and they take a little longer to flash. After it accepts the firmware... LEAVE IT ALONE. Even for 10 minutes. Once it upgrades it may not reboot automatically and you will need to reboot.

make sure and upgrade to the Big Build.

My notes say:

the wifi is dead on 21061 builds.
Make sure and 30/30/30 after each flash. It is mandatory to upgrade.

Then Upgrade final to 26947 mega
30/30/30

so which build should i try to flash for the first time? the one that shows on the ddwrt wiki mini version or straight to big? also when u refer to wait for 10 mins, that wait is using the method of flashing through tftp? cause i havent been able to flash it throught the web interface with any browser Sad
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:44    Post subject: You have to use the mini first Reply with quote
You have to use the mini first... That is just to get ddwrt onto the unit. What it does is format the file system partitions for the ddwrt structure. The big builds can then be flashed if the Memory supports it.

But the objective is to get ddwrt onto it in the first place. You can also flash tomato to this unit and go from tomato to ddwrt.... Just an option Wink

But you need to wipe the nvram before the flash or as an option do it through the web interface.

I just login via telnet and "nvram erase" then manually write the firmware with the mtd commad to the linux partition or firmware depending on the router.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this router work using linksys stock firmware????

never seen E2500 that was hard to put any type firmware on

look this
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

update it to latest ver 2 FW links has then go from there.

use pin to hold reset button (bottom router) for 10-12 sec to reset
and should set static IP on computer
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Does this router work using linksys stock firmware????

never seen E2500 that was hard to put any type firmware on

look this
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

update it to latest ver 2 FW links has then go from there.

use pin to hold reset button (bottom router) for 10-12 sec to reset
and should set static IP on computer

Well i tried sploit method and left the router for almost 30 mins plugged in after i flashed successfully the firmware through tftp and nothing happened, once i reboot it manually it was back in the linksys interface like if i never did anything to him, i tried to flash tomato too from all 4 browsers and still the same i get upgrade failed, in chrome when i click upgrade i see that the firmware is being uploader slowly to 1%, 2% then rapidly to 100% and then boom flash, but the odd thing is that the progress bar in the linksys firmware page gets to max 15% and then shows upgrade failed, this router is oficially driving me cracy, i dont know what else to do to change the firmware Sad
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
and also i havent been able to upgrade it to the oficial FW_E2500_2.0.00.001_US_20140417.bin from linksys cause it also does the same thing, failed upgrade Sad any other sugestions guy?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
mediavieja wrote:
and also i havent been able to upgrade it to the oficial FW_E2500_2.0.00.001_US_20140417.bin from linksys cause it also does the same thing, failed upgrade Sad any other sugestions guy?

RESET
Swap or make sure it has good power sourse.
SET static IP on computer to 192.168.1.5
Dump browser cache.
Try to install this older FW >>> 'Linksys-1.0.04'
-------
I have done lots crazy things like yank the power half thru a firmware update ... usually just playin w/dd-wrt when
I had things screwed up.... then can usually TFTP or reach firmware management page. i can't really tell you to do
such a thing but short of a serial connection to see what's going on you could try that --- if ready to trash anyways.
Oh, BTW, I have never bricked an E2500 beyond fixable ... I have 8 of them. I think sometimes they are things that
will not be erased/overwitten on RAM causing it to fail some updates. Could be just faulty hardware --- bad blocks in RAM... could be many things.

Could be this router has had some 3rd party firmware on it before ---- hmm, reminds me that dd-wrt K3.x for the E2500
does some really stupid things with nvram allocation. e.g. a CL 'erase nvram' will never clean it because it only will erase 60K
and the k3.x allocates 256k to the nvram. usually doing this results in most settings reset to defaults but nearly always
some other settings remain same.
------
However there is nothing wrong with using a k3.x build if you are aware of what's what.
I have installed a k3.x build several times over linksys firmware or from firmware management page.
if want to try that I will suggest >>> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-28-2015-r27858/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-27858_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin
That might be what it needs to sort itself Laughing
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00    Post subject: private message me Reply with quote
private message me
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
mediavieja wrote:

RESET
Swap or make sure it has good power sourse.
SET static IP on computer to 192.168.1.5
Dump browser cache.
Try to install this older FW >>> 'Linksys-1.0.04'
-------
I have done lots crazy things like yank the power half thru a firmware update ... usually just playin w/dd-wrt when
I had things screwed up.... then can usually TFTP or reach firmware management page. i can't really tell you to do
such a thing but short of a serial connection to see what's going on you could try that --- if ready to trash anyways.
Oh, BTW, I have never bricked an E2500 beyond fixable ... I have 8 of them. I think sometimes they are things that
will not be erased/overwitten on RAM causing it to fail some updates. Could be just faulty hardware --- bad blocks in RAM... could be many things.

Could be this router has had some 3rd party firmware on it before ---- hmm, reminds me that dd-wrt K3.x for the E2500
does some really stupid things with nvram allocation. e.g. a CL 'erase nvram' will never clean it because it only will erase 60K
and the k3.x allocates 256k to the nvram. usually doing this results in most settings reset to defaults but nearly always
some other settings remain same.
------
However there is nothing wrong with using a k3.x build if you are aware of what's what.
I have installed a k3.x build several times over linksys firmware or from firmware management page.
if want to try that I will suggest >>> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-28-2015-r27858/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-27858_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin
That might be what it needs to sort itself Laughing

i tried all this and still the same result Sad wasnt able to flash any of those over the web interface and over tftp they flash but router never actually program it in Sad
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05    Post subject: Also Reply with quote
Also... A 30/30/30 is mandatory after flashing on the E2500.

I forgot to include that...

That was on of the things that drove me crazy on this unit.
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 15:22    Post subject: Re: Also Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
Also... A 30/30/30 is mandatory after flashing on the E2500.

I forgot to include that...

That was on of the things that drove me crazy on this unit.

u mean after a tftp flash i should inmediatly do a 30/30/30 to accept the firmware?
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 18:44    Post subject: After 6 minutes after the flash yes. Reply with quote
After 6 minutes after the flash yes.

And then Wait like 8 to 10 Minutes. These routers are very slow on the flash process.

It will eventually ping.

use:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

for a continuous ping

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 22:51    Post subject: Re: After 6 minutes after the flash yes. Reply with quote
sploit wrote:

And then Wait like 8 to 10 Minutes. These routers are very slow on the flash process.

It will eventually ping.

use:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

for a continuous ping

things is that normally after a tftp successful flash it stays pinging, it never looses ping no mattar how long i let it rest, but ill try that 30/30/30 after a 10 min wait on a tftp flash and report back
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 22:14    Post subject: Re: After 6 minutes after the flash yes. Reply with quote
sploit wrote:

It will eventually ping.

use:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

for a continuous ping

Nope, i give up with this router im just going to unplug it, sell it and find a new router that can flash with ddwrt, thanks anyways for ur help and i hope if someone else have a problem like this with one of these, can find this post and use it as a guidence Sad
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: