Has anyone put dd-wrt on an Asus RT-AC5300?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 23:57    Post subject: Has anyone put dd-wrt on an Asus RT-AC5300? Reply with quote
I can't seem to find any pages specific to this router on this site, so I was just wondering if anyone has installed dd-wrt on an Asus RT-AC5300, and if so, what did you have to to install it? Did you simply do a firmware upgrade from within the Asus stock firmware, or dis you have to use some special procedure?

Also, did you find that WiFi range was affected in any way (good or bad) by the change to dd-wrt?
Sponsor
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I have Kong's latest build and working solid with uptime of 9+ days.
There are some TX errors increasing in number every day but indeed the most stable build in the recent past.
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
Yes, I have Kong's latest build and working solid with uptime of 9+ days.
There are some TX errors increasing in number every day but indeed the most stable build in the recent past.

Thank you, I very much appreciate the reply. May I ask for clarification of what you mean by "some TX errors increasing in number every day"? That concerns me, because the router I was thinking of putting dd-wrt on is in a situation where I'd like uptime to be measured in months, not days - it's for another family member, and I don't want to be getting late night calls because the router is acting up. If running dd-wrt means that over time it becomes unstable, even if that takes a few days or a few weeks to happen, then that's a problem.

This router has run for many months with the original firmware, but the reason for considering a switch to dd-wrt is that port forwarding (opening a port and directing it to a specific device on the network) just doesn't seem to work in the factory supplied firmware, and that's preventing me from solving a different problem.

When you say "Kong's latest build", is that the 02-07-2017-r31277 version of asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx in the betas section of the downloads?

And, have you noticed any increase or decrease in wi-fi range? I don't need an increase, but I would definitely hear about it if it decreases.

Thank you again for your comments.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you considered rmerlin firmware?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
TreeMan wrote:
If running dd-wrt means that over time it becomes unstable, even if that takes a few days or a few weeks to happen, then that's a problem.

This router has run for many months with the original firmware, but the reason for considering a switch to dd-wrt is that port forwarding (opening a port and directing it to a specific device on the network) just doesn't seem to work in the factory supplied firmware, and that's preventing me from solving a different problem.

When you say "Kong's latest build", is that the 02-07-2017-r31277 version of asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx in the betas section of the downloads?

And, have you noticed any increase or decrease in wi-fi range? I don't need an increase, but I would definitely hear about it if it decreases.

Thank you again for your comments.

I didn't see any issues so far and works well except the Transmit errors that are benign(doesn't cause any issues except may some throughput impact).
I have pretty large network for a home with three repeater bridges, camera and security devices with a network segment for fast gaming.

I was using Kong's build from here. But BS build you mentioned also should work fine.

There are no issues with Wi-Fi range. I strongly suggest that you give this a try.

2017-02-13 00_59_51-asusrt5k3 (build 31205M) - Wireless Status.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.07 KB
 Viewed:  17048 Time(s)

2017-02-13 00_59_51-asusrt5k3 (build 31205M) - Wireless Status.png

TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Have you considered rmerlin firmware?

I have, but I have read that rmerlin’s firmware has the same problem with port forwarding as the factory firmware.
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:
I didn't see any issues so far and works well except the Transmit errors that are benign(doesn't cause any issues except may some throughput impact).

I have pretty large network for a home with three repeater bridges, camera and security devices with a network segment for fast gaming.

I was using Kong's build from here. But BS build you mentioned also should work fine.

There are no issues with Wi-Fi range. I strongly suggest that you give this a try.

Thank you, I appreciate the information, sounds like it would be worth a try. So, what procedure did you use to get it on your router? Did you simply upload dd-wrt as if you were doing an upgrade of the factory firmware, or did you need to do anything else in addition?
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running kongs on both of mine. I have not been able to run BS's version, for some reason the dhcp and lan ports did not work. But I have not tried it since on these routers.

The upgrade path is to install the factory to ddwrt bs version. Most recent beta. If the lan ports do not work then you will need to log on via wifi and install the most recent version of kongs. BS's newest version may work I just have not tried any of the new versions. Other than that, It has been working great. The TX errors I have seen not only on the ASUS router but my buffalo 1750's.

I run port forwards, eoip, vpn server, 7 VOIP phones, website, FTP, 23 IP Cams, 20 irrigation smart controllers and about 30 ubiquiti radios on one, and similar on the other. The router is fast and very responsive. I put these in place of my 1750 which the one with the full load bricked. I believe due to the nvram was running 63/64. The asus with the same setup is running the nvram is 52/128.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:
I am running kongs on both of mine. I have not been able to run BS's version, for some reason the dhcp and lan ports did not work. But I have not tried it since on these routers.

The upgrade path is to install the factory to ddwrt bs version. Most recent beta.

Thanks. So just to be clear, I should get the 02-07-2017-r31277 (or more recent if available) version of asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx in the betas section of the downloads, and install that using the same procedure as if I were installing an upgrade of the factory firmware, right? I really don't know what you mean by bs's version or kong's version, the only versions I know of are the ones in the dd-wrt downloads directory, in particular the betas directory under http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

dun4cheap wrote:
If the lan ports do not work then you will need to log on via wifi and install the most recent version of kongs. BS's newest version may work I just have not tried any of the new versions. Other than that, It has been working great. The TX errors I have seen not only on the ASUS router but my buffalo 1750's.

I really hope the lan ports work, because those are used for a computer and a VoIP adapter, and some other devices. Seems to me like that would be a pretty significant bug if they don't work, so I would hope that's been fixed by now. How long ago did you try it when they didn't work?
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
First Download all the firmwares:

Download Brainslayers newest beta.

asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx

Download Kongs newest beta.

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin

Before installing, make sure you have a device with wifi and the ability to install these firmwares via wifi. Once you confirm this.

Now preferrably from a wired setup update your firmware from the web interface with brainslayers firmware. Kongs firmware does not let you do the initial change to official dd-wrt.

Once you have done this and the router reboots, see if you still have access from the hardline. When I did mine the lan ports no longer aquired dhcp addresses. I tried setting the ip address on the computer but no luck. Now this may be fixed now, I have not tried a brainslayer release on these routers since early december. If it is working then you can run the bs firmware or move to kong from the web interface.

If the lan ports are not letting you access the web interface, then You should be able to connect via wifi and then update to kongs release and then all should be working.

If brainslayers newer beta works with the lan ports please let us know. I just have not had time to revert back, and Kongs releases have been working very well.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
TreeMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:

Before installing, make sure you have a device with wifi and the ability to install these firmwares via wifi. Once you confirm this.

This, unfortunately, is the problem. All the desktop computers I'd normally use for a process such as this are on wired connections. So if I start with Brainslayers newest beta and the LAN ports don't work, I'm going to be kind of screwed, at least for a while.

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of trying to make this work, but for now I have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the help in any case.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may consider buying a wifi adapter but yes, I would not do this unless you are prepared. You can do it from a android, I have done this.

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
TreeMan wrote:
dun4cheap wrote:

This, unfortunately, is the problem. All the desktop computers I'd normally use for a process such as this are on wired connections. So if I start with Brainslayers newest beta and the LAN ports don't work, I'm going to be kind of screwed, at least for a while.

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of trying to make this work, but for now I have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the help in any case.

this did NOT work for me! I had a hell of a time getting dd-wrt on this router.

I tried the latest BS build the .trx file. It would just go in a reboot loop with only 1 ping answering on a static ip each cycle.

Then I reset it and got back to the built in web page. Tried the same firmware again after factory reset ... no go..

Then I tried the same thing with the 29739 built which was known to work ie see here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=301967&sid=a6ff4112f2903746e1e3eebf81a450a4

same issue, except it would at least answer abut 12 pings before rebooting..

So THen I just flashed the latest Kong build from here...

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

during the reboot cycle with tftp

ie tftp -i 192.168.1.1 file

that flashed..

Still let it sit for about 10 minutes .. no go.. Power cycled it and after about a few minutes it answered pings and dd-wrt came up...

What a pain!!!!
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry it went so bad for you. Glad you got dd-wrt on it.

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

LangerFeen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info,

I'm interested in this too for my RT-AC5300 but it seems the upgrade path is a bit flaky still. Might wait for reports of a more stable upgrade/build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: