Has anyone put dd-wrt on an Asus RT-AC5300?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It probably has a cfe that prevents flashing of any third party firmware. Just like the rt-ac3100 and rt-ac88u.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:20    Post subject: Which Kong file to tftp - bin or trx? Reply with quote
I've been fighting with this router most of the day today. I've used recovery mode to get back to the stock firmware a few times, I've tried using the stock firmware's update process to load BS's 29739 build, got the reboot loop, tried using tftp to install Kong's build, still reboot looping.

By the way, which Kong firmware am I supposed to load using tftp - the bin file, or the trx file?

Currently, I'm back to stock firmware. The only thing I haven't tried is the serial cable method mentioned in this thread, mainly because I don't have a computer with a serial port anymore, so while I understand how to connect the serial cable in the router, I have no idea how I could connect the other end.

I'm quite close to boxing this thing back up and returning it to Fry's.
dougb628
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:39    Post subject: Re: use my instructions Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
use my instructions on this page (what i did) with the serial

I'm interested in trying this, but I don't know how I'd connect the serial cable to my computer - I don't have any computer that has a serial port.

The pictures made it really clear how to connect the serial cable to the router, but what about the other end?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:49    Post subject: Re: use my instructions Reply with quote
dougb628 wrote:
sploit wrote:
use my instructions on this page (what i did) with the serial

I'm interested in trying this, but I don't know how I'd connect the serial cable to my computer - I don't have any computer that has a serial port.

The pictures made it really clear how to connect the serial cable to the router, but what about the other end?

Google dd-wrt serial recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 13:17    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote
So, the last thing that I attempted was using the recovery tool to load r31722. It seemed to still be in a reboot loop, but I unplugged it for like 5 minutes, then plugged it back in and let it sit overnight. This morning, I was able to bring up the web interface of dd-wrt. I then did a firmware upgrade to Kong's latest build, DD-WRT v3.0-r32805M (7/24/17). It seems that waiting was key.
RDM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also completely stuck in a bootloop attempted fixes:

- 30-30-30
- reset 10s hold
- left it running overnight
- attempted to clear nvram
- attempted to ping(destination unreachable on 192.168.1.x subnet)
- Attempted to tftp even without ping
- attempted asus firmware recovery

What i did: went to the asus website and attempted to flash via the web interface, showed success however obviously wasn't successful.

build used was kong's latest test
dougb628
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
RDM wrote:
I am also completely stuck in a bootloop attempted fixes:

- 30-30-30
- reset 10s hold
- left it running overnight
- attempted to clear nvram
- attempted to ping(destination unreachable on 192.168.1.x subnet)
- Attempted to tftp even without ping
- attempted asus firmware recovery

What i did: went to the asus website and attempted to flash via the web interface, showed success however obviously wasn't successful.

build used was kong's latest test

Based on my experience, I would try turning it off for at least 5 minutes, then turn it back on, and leave it on.

Your case is different from mine though - yours is not responding to pings at all, which is indicative a more serious problem. Mine would at least respond to pings for a little while during each boot loop - I was getting a response that had TTL=100, which is what you look for to do the tftp. If yours is not responding to pings ever, then you may have to consider the JTAG or serial cable options. Check the Peacock thread about bricked routers.
mcraven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:36    Post subject: Re: Success once again. Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:

Asus ac 5300 - 3.0.0.4.380.3341

I downloaded Brain Slayers most recent version of beta firmware.

03-21-2017-r31722
asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx

I then downloaded Kongs newest beta:

3/26/2017
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin

From the webif I installed Brainslayers firmware. The device rebooted. It took about a minute to reboot.

Just like last time, the lan ports did not appear to work or have dhcp. So I logged in to the router wirelessly ssid:ddwrt open. I was prompted to change the default password which I did. I then proceeded to install Kongs firmware from the webif.

OK... Apologies in advance but I'm trying to be sure I understand before I start. I have several routers with DD-WRT but this my first attempt with RT-AC5300. The thing is brand new and I've NOT updated the stock firmware.

Current FW = 3.0.0.4.380_753

1. I download the Asus-RT-AC5300-firmware.trx from http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/ (is this correct place to get the initial .trx?)

2. I download dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin from http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/

3. Through the stock firmware update page in the web interface, install the .trx

4. Reboot and log into the new webif either by hardwire connection (if available) or wireless connection to open dd-wrt ssid and then install the Kong .bin

5. Reboot and the world is good with new AC3500 in DD-WRT goodness.

Sound about right?
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are in the right direction. I would also download the asus recovery tool. I found that if you need to flash the router from recovery mode, this tool does the trick. I have done 3 ac5300's and just recently an ac3200

I would definitely make sure you have a way to connect via wifi. All 3 of my ac5300's I was not able to connect to via lan until I got kongs fw on the router.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
mcraven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:
You are in the right direction. I would also download the asus recovery tool. I found that if you need to flash the router from recovery mode, this tool does the trick. I have done 3 ac5300's and just recently an ac3200

I would definitely make sure you have a way to connect via wifi. All 3 of my ac5300's I was not able to connect to via lan until I got kongs fw on the router.

Done. I have the recovery tool downloaded. I also downloaded the ASUS FW 3.0.0.4.380.3341, just in case. I assume this is an OK version to load if I get into trouble? This is the version you mentioned in your post. The FW on my unit out of the box appears to be quite ancient. In fact, my current version doesn't even appear on the ASUS support site for download. I'm only asking as there was some mention on this site about a FW update that interfered with the ability to push DD-WRT onto the unit.

Do you happen to know the latest ASUS FW that is safe to use without blocking my path to a non-stock FW?

Once on DD-WRT, what is the best build number for this unit? Or is the development towards a stable/well performing build still ongoing?

Lastly, if I get in trouble and need to go the route of rescue utility, best to flash back to ASUS FW or load the DD-WRT .trx?

Anyway, thanks to the guys supporting DD-WRT on this router and to DUN4CHEAP for taking the time to read and respond.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the ac3200 I put the dd-wrt.trx on it in recovery mode. I am running the newest betas without any issue.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, be sure to post your results when you are done.

Thanks,

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

mcraven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:
By the way, be sure to post your results when you are done.

Thanks,

Not good... loaded the ddwrt.trx via Asus webif and router never came back. Sad I managed to get it into recovery mode but Asus recovery tool won't connect to force an Asus or ddwrt.try. Sad

I put the IP of the PC into non-DHCP and assigned 192.168.1.10 but when I say upload the tool searches for a bit and then the router power light stops the slow flash and the tool times out at 30-sec saying 'router is not in recovery mode'

Any ideas? Pretty sad as this didn't seem that hard.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn it off. Hold the reset button it while turning it on. When the power led starts flashing, go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and use the mini cfe to upload the asus firmware.
If it has a newer cfe, you may not be able to load dd-wrt onto it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi is spot on, but i had better luck with the asus tool. Start it, start the upload firmware and do the reset that malachi posted.

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: