[Solved] Repeater bridge between WRT54G routers not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zipster1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:42    Post subject: [Solved] Repeater bridge between WRT54G routers not working Reply with quote
I have 2 Linksys WRT54G V3.0 routers that I have installed the DD-WRT Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini on both routers. I followed the instructions for creating a repeater bridge between the two but when I hook my computer to the router designated as the repeater bridge I don't have any internet at all. I don't even get assigned an IP address fr4om teh main router. My main router is in a laundry and the first Linksys WRT54G which will be located in the attached garage so that I can run the antenna line to the roof so I can beam the wifi to the outbuilding where I have another antenna and the 2nd Linksys WRT54G router. That was the plan but unfortunately I cannot get the 2nd WRT54G router to receive internet at all. My question is can I set up the first (WRT54G router with a different SSID that will match te3he 2nd WRT54G router in the outbuilding. I don't know what setup information I need to give you for sure but this is what I am looking at for the "transmitting" WRT54G router. (The one that will go in the attached garage to provide the antenna the wifi signal.
System Information
Router
Router Name
AccessPoint
Router Model
Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
LAN MAC
00:13:10:74:1E:AA
WAN MAC
00:13:10:74:1E:AB
Wireless MAC
00:13:10:74:1E:AB
WAN IP
Disabled
LAN IP

Wireless
Radio
Radio is On
Mode
Repeater
Network
Mixed
SSID
PerezLink
Channel
TX Power
71 mW
Rate
54 Mbps

Wireless Packet Info
Received (RX)
0 OK, no error
Transmitted (TX)
0 OK, no error

Services
DHCP Server
Disabled
WRT-radauth
AP
Sputnik Agent
Disabled

Memory
Total Available
12.7 MB / 16.0 MB
Free
3.7 MB / 12.7 MB
Used
9.0 MB / 12.7 MB
Buffers
1.2 MB / 9.0 MB
Cached
3.6 MB / 9.0 MB
Active
3.0 MB / 9.0 MB
Inactive
1.9 MB / 9.0 MB

Space Usage
JFFS2
(Not mounted)

Wireless
Access Point & Clients
MAC Address Interface Uptime TX Rate RX Rate Signal Noise SNR Signal Quality
- None -

Last edited by zipster1967 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 23:19; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the first thing you can do is reboot (first router 1 and when this is up router 2), otherwise you will not get an IP address.

If you have done this already or this does not help then use a newer build, yours is really old. Try 21676 from 2013.

Repeater bridge instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
You say you read instructions about Repeater Bridge yet you say the wireless is set on Repeater.
Repeater and Repeater Bridge are two completely different things.
zipster1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:19    Post subject: Where do I finde the later build? Reply with quote
I am not understanding how to get a later build. When I enter my model WRT54G V.3 in the router database the list I get back does not show any builds later than 2010. Am I doing something wrong or not following the instructions correctly. I am a little confused on this now. Also in the instructions it states:
Quote:
To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT will be configured as the Repeater Bridge.
Since neither is my main router can I let the AP mode router pass DHCP requests to my main router or do I have to let the AP mode router assign DHCP addresses that don't conflict with the range of addresses being assigned by my main router?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 13:26    Post subject: Re: Where do I finde the later build? Reply with quote
zipster1967 wrote:
I am not understanding how to get a later build. When I enter my model WRT54G V.3 in the router database the list I get back does not show any builds later than 2010. Am I doing something wrong or not following the instructions correctly. I am a little confused on this now. Also in the instructions it states:
Quote:
To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT will be configured as the Repeater Bridge.
Since neither is my main router can I let the AP mode router pass DHCP requests to my main router or do I have to let the AP mode router assign DHCP addresses that don't conflict with the range of addresses being assigned by my main router?

That part of the wiki is actually incorrect. Meaning:
1. The RB router has DHCP turned off.
2. Somewhere on the subnet you are bridged to must be doing DHCP so clients connected to your RB VAP can get an IP address via DHCP.
You can RB bridge to a WAP. You can RB to a WDS-AP. You can RB to the VAP of another RB (not really advisable but certainly doable).

DD-WRT router database is not a good source of info.
Read >> 'Peacock Thread' top of this forum!

Install this on both your WRT54Gv3
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

If the 54Gv3 you want to bridge to is used as just a WAP make sure it is setup correctly -- meaning it should have its DHCP disabled,
DNSMasq disabled, in router mode (not gateaway), and its gateway IP should point to main router holding the WAN connection.

Make sure you do not set the WAP or the RB with an LAN IP that is already in use!

This also might help >> 'for repeater bridge'
zipster1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10    Post subject: RB Router still not connecting to WAP Router Reply with quote
Okay I downloaded and flashed the recommended build now the routers show Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) min
I have the WAP set up and that works fine. I can get an IP from that router and get internet access. But as soon as I connect to the Repeater Bridge Router I can't ping the main router, get internet access, or even get my computer to receive an IP through the DHCP server. when I am connected to my home network I can ping the WAP no problem but when I try to ping the RP router it fails 100%. Any suggestions or question I can answer about my setup that will help solve my problem please let me know. I think I should mention that when I set me RB router to Repeater Bridge I cannot turn off the DHCP server or disable it. My only options are DHCP Server or DHCP Forwarder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:25    Post subject: Re: RB Router still not connecting to WAP Router Reply with quote
zipster1967 wrote:
I think I should mention that when I set me RB router to Repeater Bridge I cannot turn off the DHCP server or disable it. My only options are DHCP Server or DHCP Forwarder.

This is wrong if you cannot disable DHCP.
There are two buttons, Enable & Disable in the DHCP section on main setup page and also you should uncheck everything under that button......Newer builds work a bit different.

RB mode works fine with 14929 build if you setup correctly.
Reset it and start over...After you do it a few times you can conf a good RB in 3 minutes easy from scratch.
zipster1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:13    Post subject: Back to trying client bridge Reply with quote
I have given up on the Repeater Bridge for now and am trying to connect my second router as a Client Bridge for now. But when I join the network as a client under wireless status it tells me I have successfully joined the network as a client but then it goes back to the wireless Basic Settings screen and when I go back and check the status it doesn't show me as connected to the wireless network I chose. Is there something wrong with my router? Am I not setting something up correctly? I am attaching a screenshot of the status Wireless Screen on my Client Bridge router and one of the wireless status screen on my AP router in case that helps.

Screenshot (5).png
 Description:
AP router
 Filesize:  110.75 KB
 Viewed:  24002 Time(s)

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot.png
 Description:
Client Bridge router
 Filesize:  103.29 KB
 Viewed:  24002 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only thing the Join button does is fill in the SSID.
You have to save and apply settings.
You also must set the wireless security exactly the same as the router you want to bridge to.
Or disable security on both.

Those routers will work much better in G-only network mode.
You will also be better off setting the TX power on both to 35.
I gave you a link in previous post that explains this in detail.

EDIT:
Not sure why you having so much trouble.....
Hang on a bit and I'll drag outa couple WRT54G routers and put 14929 on them and send you pics of them bridged together -- If you think that will help
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a thought. i always set wireless security to wpa2 personal AES but NOT mixed and it always works. just a thought.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
thenotwellman wrote:
just a thought. i always set wireless security to wpa2 personal AES but NOT mixed and it always works. just a thought.

YEA-- that is in the wiki and also in other link I gave.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
reset your routers
Here is some pics you can sift thru---if it ain't on the pic -- don't change it.
'WRT54G AP & RB'

works veddy good--streaming Netflix on the tablet connected to the RB-VAP and not one bad bleep...
This is good for 2 or 3 devices--- but you could easily overload it....
zipster1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 23:17    Post subject: [solved] Thanks for the screenshots Helped alot Reply with quote
Well after going through your screenshots and changing a few things since my AP router is not my main router and doesn't act as the DHCP server I got the 2 routers communicating and the RB router connecting to the network. Unfortunately now I discovered my antennas I built are not strong enough to receive the signal from the house so I am going to try building a yagi-can antenna I saw on a YouTube video by Andrew McNeil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ2pIDkf-ug&t=9s I think this one should work. since I already have all the parts I can try it for free. If not I will splurge and buy an antenna set I saw on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT2409A-Directional-Antenna-connector/dp/B003CFATNS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463137827&sr=1-1&keywords=directional%2Bantenna&tag=anandtech_forum_vgl-20&th=1 That I am sure are strong enough to span the distance. But thanks for all your help. Your patience with my confusion was much appreciated.

Navigation

Jump to: