OpenVPN on DD-WRT router need help

truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 0:42    Post subject: OpenVPN on DD-WRT router need help Reply with quote
Hi guys
Need someone that can help me. I apologize for my english.
Objective: Being able to run an iPhone app from outside my home lan. The app in question is WiFi DCS, this app contect to this to control all your locomotors.

Of course you need to be on the same lan segment and the wifi on the phone must be active.

First thing I though was to make a VPN on my router in bridge mode but to my surprise iOS doesn't support TAP tunnel.

I already have the VPN working on my router perfectly, of course in router mode (tun) and the iphone connect without a problem, I can ping the WIU with my phone too but it doesn't find the TIU that is connected to the WIU.
The TIU is the main system that control all the tracks and trains, is connected to the WIU with a USB cable.

Is there any way to bridge the LAN to the VPN in router mode (tun) ? so the phone stay on the same subnet that the WIU ?

Thanks in advance guys
Sponsor
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have another router (a Belkin AC1750DB) running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.Do you think it may work with it ?
If yes could you be a little more specific ?
My main router the one with the openvpn server is a nighthawk (Netgear R7000) with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r28815M kongac (01/15/16).

Thanks in advanced
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I`m sorry I`m trying to see things clear but I can't.
Even if I managed to do what you are suggesting, how I`m going to connect my iPhone using a VPN to my main router if iOS does not support tap tunnel ?
I apologize if the answer is in my face and I can`t see it.
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
the real problem is the iphone is in another region, country ,state what ever, how I connect the iPhone to the route with the openVPN client.

[iPhone (LTE network)]-internet------>[router w/ bridged openvpn client]<-->[router w/ bridged openvpn server]<-->[home network devices]
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don`t know why you assume that the iPhone is going to be next to the vpn client router all the time, it is not.
The iPhone is alone with just the cellular network that`s the main idea.

[iPhone (LTE network)]<----internet------>[router w/ bridged openvpn client]<-->[router w/ bridged openvpn server]<-->[home network devices]
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know that`s why I`m asking for help Very Happy
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to install avahi on my router and looks like the service is advertising as intended but only on the br0 interface.

At this point I don`t know what else to do to make it work on the tun interface.

I have read a few articles but none are too clear like this one.
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just want to let you know I manged to do it using a DNS server (bind9) in a windows machine configured to share Bonjour services across subnets and VLANs. I setup the openVPN on the router using the TUN interface and conect my iPhone to it.

Can I install bind9 on the router ?
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks Wink
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
it work perfect Very Happy thanks for all your support.
truefranco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was a whole week searching and testing on internet diferents things, at the end was very simple.
I was confuse about the broadcast traffic could pass or not through the VPN tunnel.
The think is that anything can pass the tunnel but you just need to tell it how.
If you want to pass any broadcast traffic to a VPN tunnel you convert it in unicast traffic.
what I did after setting up the VPN using this guide was setup a DNS server. Any dns server will work. The tricky part is to know what to put in the DNS's config file and domains files ( where you put all the AA PTR SRV records).
All Apple devices use bonjour to find services on the local network.
I used this guide and a few others to learn how to find the services on my network who use bonjour and fill up my records files so my DNS can tell my iphone how to find the service I was trying to make it work.

I'm sorry if my english is not clear enough but that's basically all I did.

If you need more details let me know.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: