Optimizing samba speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lalalandrus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 20:54    Post subject: Optimizing samba speeds Reply with quote
This topic has been discussed before but for much older builds and older hardware.

I am asking this question to those specifically on K3 kernels and ARM AC firmware:
What are your settings for samba and what speeds are you getting?

I am currently running the latest KONG-AC-ARM build (31520) on a RT-AC56U both the included samba and optware samba36 produce speeds of 15mb/s read and write.

Before I was running a 24XXX and I got 25mb/s read and 15mb/s write. I have tried using the old config and the old proc and neither seems to allow me to regain the lost transfer speeds.

The drive is a EXT4 formatted 7200 rpm 2tb on a USB 3.0 asmedia based external enclosure. The transfer speeds on desktop is 100+ mb/s.

CPU utilization during the transfer is around 57% and ram usage has about 190mb remaining.

SMB.conf
Code:

log level = 1
netbios name = router
server string = router
syslog = 10
encrypt passwords = true
preferred master = yes
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 2048
aio write size = 2048
large readwrite = yes
security = user
mangled names = no
max stat cache size = 64
workgroup = home
bind interfaces only = Yes
guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User
smb passwd file = /var/samba/smbpasswd
private dir = /var/samba
passdb backend = smbpasswd
log file = /var/smbd.log
max log size = 1000
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=262144 SO_RCVBUF=262144
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 65536
dead time = 15
getwd cache = yes
lpq cache time = 30
printing = none
load printers = No
usershare allow guests = Yes

Sponsor
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 18:40    Post subject: Re: Optimizing samba speeds Reply with quote
lalalandrus wrote:
This topic has been discussed before but for much older builds and older hardware.

I am asking this question to those specifically on K3 kernels and ARM AC firmware:
What are your settings for samba and what speeds are you getting?

I am currently running the latest KONG-AC-ARM build (31520) on a RT-AC56U both the included samba and optware samba36 produce speeds of 15mb/s read and write.

Try changing Max Protocol in your smb.conf? Your problem might be more a Samba issue than DD-WRT. That said, did you fiddle with QoS settings?

Here is an interesting result when I google "smb.conf max protocol transfer rate":

https://www.arm-blog.com/samba-finetuning-for-better-transfer-speeds/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: