WRT1900AC v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
SY1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:20    Post subject: WRT1900AC v1 Reply with quote
Hello

My Linksys WRT1900AC v1 Router Settings pages have suddenly became inaccessible. I would love to download a firmware upgrade, but don't know any other way except for the one recommended on Linksys support site, which doesn't work.

I learned here the WRT1900AC is a bad choice and I've been using it for 4 years. May be it is time for a change. I need an extreme range (big house, tenants, many users, need Guest network) How about NETGEAR - Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Tri-Band Quad Stream Wi-Fi Router? Would anyone recommend this one for a novice in networking.

Please and thank you all.
Sponsor
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Here is my 2 cents.
I have a very big house and backyard and using WRT1900acV1 as main router and wired WRT1200ac as wifi AP only with roaming using same SSID but different channels. The hardware is very good with ultimate area coverage. 
The linksys software starting E series and specially WRT`s routers are peace of crap and after years of nightmare and fights I was ready to replace my WRT`s with Netgear Broadcom or Asus routers but finally latest 2017 updates from Kong and specially Brainslayer and Marvel drivers of course brings very stable WIFI connection with great DD-WRT UI. For some reason i dont have any single problem anymore but my VPN and NAS functions are completely separated from router.

The new expensive single Tri-band router itself will not bring me any Wi-fi improvements in my big area because of current wifi slow and low power clients and wifi AC short distance coverage.
I am very happy now with current roaming system and will replace routers only when will have new clients supporting Mu-MIMO and AD wifi and will install multiple AP system then.
BTW, all my rooms are wired for best 1gb connection and it was a very smart idea.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13    Post subject: Re: WRT1900AC v1 Reply with quote
SY1 wrote:
I learned here the WRT1900AC is a bad choice.

What utter tosh... who told you that???
SY1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20    Post subject: Re: WRT1900AC v1 Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
SY1 wrote:
I learned here the WRT1900AC is a bad choice.

What utter tosh... who told you that???

When I was trying to find a solution to my problem, came across this forum and one of the posts. Don't recall the name but it was about Linksys developing new hardware and spitting on support entirely. The latest update for my router is dated 2015. Obviously, my warranty expired and Linksys says extend support by paying them $40 USD and they would check if it could be fixed. So, I'm assuming they have a solution but don't make it publicly available. The idea is to rip off everyone who runs into similar problem. After that, I agree, buying Linksys WRT1900AC is a bad idea. If you know the way to fix it, why don't you post it here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: