Asus RT-AC56U trouble flashing back to stock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Toasty27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:27    Post subject: Asus RT-AC56U trouble flashing back to stock Reply with quote
I'm giving my old router to a friend and wanted to flash it back to stock since they're not technically inclined, but I've been running into problems.

I was running a build from sometime in late 2015, but during my troubleshooting I ended up updating to r31791 (03/30/17)

I've tried uploading the latest ASUS firmware (3.0.0.4.380.7266) through the firmware upgrade menu in DD-WRT, but while it does seem to upload and the router will reboot, nothing seems to happen (I'm left running the same DD-WRT firmware I was running before).

This holds true even when I put the router into recovery mode, and flash it that way (using both TFTP on OSX and Asus Firmware Restoration on Win10).

I even tried switching to Merlin using all the aforementioned methods, but I've had the same issues (the firmware doesn't seem to actually get applied).

The router did successfully update to a newer version of DD-WRT (as I mentioned earlier), but even after that update, flashing back to stock was still unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
Toasty27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still having this issue. I tried updating to r32170 (6/1/17), but I still can't flash back to stock or Merlin using the web GUI (or TFTP). I'll also note that I did a factory reset each time (as I did previously), but I'm still stuck with DD-WRT firmware.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? Is there some comman I need to run n the router's console to get make the firmware restore work?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the router in Recovery Mode and flash stock fw from the recovery page.
srwal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also having this issue with 2 RT-AC68u units. The firmware uploads via the recovery tool, but upon reboot, it reverts to DD-WRT.

I'm currently using Kong 31980M.
Toasty27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Set the router in Recovery Mode and flash stock fw from the recovery page.

I have done that close to a dozen times now.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.asus.com/no/Networking/RTAC56U/HelpDesk_Download/

See the text in red.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: