Lag spikes after flashing a Netgear WNDR3700v4 to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Codeman1234
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:24    Post subject: Lag spikes after flashing a Netgear WNDR3700v4 to DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Because of the recent bills and things trying to be passed (or already being passed?) to do with internet privacy in America, a buddy recommended I flash my router to DD-WRT so I could use a VPN through it and cover all of my devices as opposed to putting the same VPN on all of them.

Now, I'm not really a tech guy. Mechanics are more my thing, I only dabble a very small bit in technical stuff. So, I had no clue what I was doing. I followed my friend's advice and got the guide for flashing on here, and it all seemed to work out.

I'm a gamer, and I've been noticing a lot of bad lag spikes. My overall speed and latency seems to be about the same. But every now and again I get these terrible lag spikes that last about 10 seconds. I've never experienced lag this bad or for this long. Are there any settings I need to change from the DD-WRT web interface for my router? I don't know what info you would need to troubleshoot, but I left everything alone once it was DD-WRT.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
if ur using the router itself to act as a vpn client to any vpn service, its probably not fast enough. that is very demanding on the cpu & the ar9344 soc in the wndr3700 v4 is actually slower than the v1 & v2.. bypass the router and connect to ur vpn directly using ur pc first to rule out the router, if u still lag, its either ur vpn provider or isp or something between.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Codeman1234
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I actually haven't set up the VPN yet. I'm thinking I may be better off just reverting back to the base Netgear firmware, if I can figure out how to do that.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
use netgear tftp, have a pc plugged in to any ethernet port, hold down reset button, turn on router, wait till power led is flashing green (not orange), then send the netgear fw to 192.168.1.1

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: