Authentication error for some devices on virtual interfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcarson75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31    Post subject: Authentication error for some devices on virtual interfaces Reply with quote
Summary: I have three Amazon Fire tablets for my kids that will not connect to the 2.4 GHz virtual interfaces of my R7000. They fail with an "authentication error." If I disable wireless security they will connect. Other devices work fine on these networks.

Setup details:
I have an R7000 with Kong 31520M that is acting only as an access point. I have the main 2.4 GHz network plus three virtual interfaces, and the same on the 5 GHz channels. Each interface is tied to a different VLAN.

I am using pfSense as my firewall and DHCP relay. Each VLAN is on a separate subnet, and is relayed to a Windows Server with DHCP. However, I think the problem is in the access point since if I disable wireless security they work.

Wireless security is set up the same on each of the SSIDs - WPA2 Personal w/AES. The tablets all connect fine to the "main" (wl0) SSID, but fail with an authentication error on the other three. If I disable wireless security they will connect. Other devices connect fine with normal security.

It is somewhat intermittent - I mean this to say it has connected a few times. If I set it to "WPA Personal" instead of "WPA2 Personal" I have a little more luck. However, it ALWAYS connects to wl0, and always connects with security disabled.

When it fails it just goes into a loop saying "connecting" and then eventually comes back and says "Authentication Error."

I have also tried changing the wireless password to something "simple" (no special characters) and got the same problem. I was having the issue on build 30020, so I updated to the latest version as well with no change. I also tried setting it to a static IP (it has an IP address reservation) but this didn't help either. I don't think it is even making it to the DHCP server though since when I do a packet capture I don't see any DHCP messages.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: