R7000 Kong QoS - How does this help & affect my network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zakazak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14    Post subject: R7000 Kong QoS - How does this help & affect my network? Reply with quote
I am running latest Kong on my R7000 and my network consists of the following devices:

Quote:
Xbox 360
Xbox One
HTPC running 24/7 (local backups, torrent,...)
Laptop (Gaming + Working.. needs good ping)
4x Smartphones (Note 4, Galaxy A5, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P)
Printer (connected via WiFi)
3TB HDD via USB to R7000 as NAS

If I understood correctly then QoS gives priority to the device/service that I select. But that wouldn't be really relevant to me:

Quote:
I will only game on on device at a time (e.g. only Laptop or only Xbox).
My HTPC is automatically in "stand by" when I run games on any device (I made myself a little program for that).
The smartphones aren't that much of an impact for the rest of the network?

So what would I gain from QoS ?
All I could do it tell the router to slow down someones Smartphone-Youtube while my Laptop is running and using the whole bandwith?

Thanks !
Sponsor
zakazak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
no one? Sad
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you gain even if using one device at a time, is consistency regarding latency.

Even if one device is using all the bandwidth, there will be a bottleneck of throughput somewhere in between the line from your ISP to you and since your ISP's routing equipment serves more devices at one time than your own network would, their network interfaces need time to manage all that traffic for customers. It is getting better with newer standards like DOCSIS 3.1 (if you have cable), but its still more than you could have if you traffic shaped your line yourself.

The traffic shaping portion of QoS essentially allows you to move this bottleneck to your router from your ISP's router, where it can control the flow of data by preventing elongated stalling of network packets in its network interface's/port's buffers.

This is why you set 80-95% of your download/speed when QoS is disabled, when you enable QoS. You'll lose a little off the max of your throughput from your ISP, but if you were to download a game and play an online game at the same time, the download wouldn't cause you to saturate your connection's throughput from your ISP and you wouldn't experience any latency spikes when online gaming (consistency).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
What you gain even if using one device at a time, is consistency regarding latency.

Even if one device is using all the bandwidth, there will be a bottleneck of throughput somewhere in between the line from your ISP to you and since your ISP's routing equipment serves more devices at one time than your own network would, their network interfaces need time to manage all that traffic for customers. It is getting better with newer standards like DOCSIS 3.1 (if you have cable), but its still more than you could have if you traffic shaped your line yourself.

The traffic shaping portion of QoS essentially allows you to move this bottleneck to your router from your ISP's router, where it can control the flow of data by preventing elongated stalling of network packets in its network interface's/port's buffers.

This is why you set 80-95% of your download/speed when QoS is disabled, when you enable QoS. You'll lose a little off the max of your throughput from your ISP, but if you were to download a game and play an online game at the same time, the download wouldn't cause you to saturate your connection's throughput from your ISP and you wouldn't experience any latency spikes when online gaming (consistency).

Interesting Surprised

Are there any guides on how to create the "perfect QoS rules" for my network?
I guess they will depend on my devices and needs or is there one "simple" QoS-Template that works best for all?
paravox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set it up on my R7000 a few days ago; so far so good. You can prioritize/deprioritize by IP, MAC address, interface or service name which gives you a lot of flexibility. There is no "one size fits all" setup as everyone's network is different. For example, I prioritized gaming, media players, video services and web browsing while deprioritizing download services like icloud/itunes, steam and bittorrent.

Here is a good post about it that I found helpful.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has been my experience in regard to QOS that it makes no difference unless two or more devices are competing for bandwidth.

Only one device.. Nothing happens (excluding the 90 ~ 95% of your bandwidth you are supposed to set).

Plus.. the router has to think about it which will increase the load on the processor.

If you don't need it, don't use it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my experience with Dynamic QoS.. it made the one computer in my house that needed bandwidth work great.. and it killed every other device in my house that tried to get any bandwidth for anything.

I turned it off and there was peace in the valley..

IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc etc.

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It all depends on how you set it up.

DD-WRT QoS Guide

Even if you only use one device at a time, it is good to at least to enable for the traffic shaping portion since you could be doing something thats latency sensitive and downloading something at the same time (even on one device Wink ).

Only specific priority rules will make more sense for multiple devices used at once.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ye I just finished setting it up...although I am not sure if all the options from that thread/guide are still up tp date?
I am talking about HTB with FQ_codel ?

I have set the speed to 90% of my max up/down.
I have only set to use mac priority:
Premium: xbox, laptop-lan
Express: laptop-wlan, smartphones, htpc
Standart: Printer

Should I set any other priorities?

I agree with QoS causing morw CPU load, but I think the R7000 has the power to handle it?
zakazak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
zakazak wrote:
Ye I just finished setting it up...although I am not sure if all the options from that thread/guide are still up tp date?

I agree with QoS causing morw CPU load, but I think the R7000 has the power to handle it?

Anyone ?
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
zakazak wrote:
zakazak wrote:

Anyone ?

Use this test here to see if your bufferbloat value is good. If 'A' or better, you are set for the bandwidth limiting part of your QoS functionality.

Only way to test priorities (and like I said, if only one device is being used at a time, you won't benefit from this part of QoS much) is use two devices of different priority level at once and try to saturate your connection.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piggyback post, is there a way to have multiple ports in a rule? Not a range, but two seperate ports (like 53 & 80 for example's sake).

Doesn't seem to be possible in GUI or CMD.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
mofongo wrote:
Piggyback post, is there a way to have multiple ports in a rule? Not a range, but two seperate ports (like 53 & 80 for example's sake).

In short, no. The router treats each rule with a range of ports, whether that rule's port range is made up of one port or 1000 ports.

Make separate rules and just name them rule1 (port 53) and rule2 (port 80).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
mofongo wrote:

In short, no. The router treats each rule with a range of ports, whether that rule's port range is made up of one port or 1000 ports.

Oh I know I can do that. But I have ports far apart that I'd like to cluster into one rule rather than 8 or so individual rules.

So another example, something like 22, 80, 1683, 55342, and a few more all in one rule.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mofongo wrote:
MDA400 wrote:
mofongo wrote:

Oh I know I can do that. But I have ports far apart that I'd like to cluster into one rule rather than 8 or so individual rules.

So another example, something like 22, 80, 1683, 55342, and a few more all in one rule.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough.

Then what you are asking is simply a UI cleanup.

Not currently possible and most stock firmware even shows it this way. Suspect its due to the way the Linux network stack works. It can't process 'this port and this port and this port' when looking at a rule so to speak.

More efficient to look at each rule and go 'which port do i start prioritizing at and where do i stop?'

Navigation

Jump to: