Fibre support on DIR-890L router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Raven1988
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31    Post subject: Fibre support on DIR-890L router? Reply with quote
Fibre is currently being installed at my home, and I am wondering if it is possible for my D-Link DIR890L router to connect directly to the ONT rather than needing another middleman router. If so could someone please point me in the direction of the most suitable firmware?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your ISP enables functionality of the ONT's ethernet port, there should be no problem hooking up your router, set it to DHCP mode (or static if required), and have it working.

There's no special firmware needed if it gets converted to ethernet already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
If your ISP enables functionality of the ONT's ethernet port, there should be no problem hooking up your router, set it to DHCP mode (or static if required), and have it working.

There's no special firmware needed if it gets converted to ethernet already.

This unfortunately doesn't work. At least not the way I tried. I connected the ONT directly to the router's "internet" port, as opposed to any of the LAN ports, is this what you would have done?

My router which i currently use to connect to the internet uses a username and password, however it fetches these automatically, and in the interface, the password is blotted out, I'm not sure how to retrieve it besides calling my ISP to hopefully get it.

I don't know if this helps you to determine the issue/solution at all, but if you need more info I'll be happy to provide.
Jerico2048
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The dlink dir-890L is only a router and not a modem.

So u need a fibre modem (BT openreach etc) connected to the dlink to work....

However I can only seem to get max of 38mb dl and 2mb up even when I know I have subscribed to 72mb dl and 20mb up....unless someone knows how to get this fixed?

Only reason why I haven't upgraded to the custom firmware yet is because of a few wifi and guest wifi setup issues in the custom firmware so still using the updated firmware from dlink.

If am wrong then pls advise.....
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you get an ip address on the wan port when it was connected to the ONT?

If your isp is using PPoE, set the wan port to PPoE and enter the Username/Password.
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
depending on your ISP, they may be using vlans to segregate services.

example my isp requires pppoe auth over vlan 35 for internet when connecting directly to the ONT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: