3G modem is not recognised after the reboot on Asus RT-N10U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
myky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 21:42    Post subject: 3G modem is not recognised after the reboot on Asus RT-N10U Reply with quote
Original post is here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308695

The modem full model number is X232D-2BVDUA3.
The router model is Asus RT-N10U
Firmware release is dd-wrt.v24-31825_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

l have successfully upgraded the router so my 3G modem can be recognised. Initially, when I created an APN 3G profile and chose my UMTS provider options it showed up as "connected". So l tested, everything was good. Telnet`ed into the router, hit "reboot". After reboot, the router came back online and the modem was connected as expected. But if l will switch off router completely (power off) and switch on again modem no longer recognised. So it is not automatically detected by the router while it boots up. When the router is up and running l then tried manually trigger WAN 3G connection from the GUI, no luck.

When I manually pull off/on the modem it then gets recognised and "connected". So my internet is working.
Not sure why it is happening. Is it something to do with the driver loading while the modem boots up and is there any fix for this?

Regards,
Mykhaylo
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably some kind of timing problem with the usb host controller.
Take two snapshots of dmesg, one after unplugging and re-plugging the modem and one after power-off-on reboot, then compare them.

Soft reboot is not of interest, the usb power is on all the time during a soft reboot so the modem is not getting reset.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
@LOM

Thanks, man. Files attached as requested.

Can see some lines are missing in the cold boot. When resetting the modem can see additional lines:

usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
usbcore: registered new interface driver sierra
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Sierra USB modem
usbcore: registered new interface driver qcserial
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Qualcomm USB modem
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
option 1-1:2.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

But l am not sure how to read these logs, need an expert advice.

Thank you,
Mykhaylo

dmesgAfter__unplugging and re-plugging the modem.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dmesgAfter__unplugging and re-plugging the modem.txt
 Filesize:  9.89 KB
 Downloaded:  406 Time(s)

dmesg_cold_boot.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dmesg_cold_boot.txt
 Filesize:  9.8 KB
 Downloaded:  447 Time(s)

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes there is a minor difference between the logs but it is irrelevant, you do get the driver to bind and create ttyUSB devices in both cases.

If you have ticked the box for "Force reconnect" on the WAN setup page then there will be a test for connection every 30 seconds and a reconnect will happen if the connection is down.
How long have you waited for connection to come up after a power on?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi LOM,

Thank you for your help so far.
Fist time l discovered this issue when my father called me saying that he doesn't have the internet after a power cut. So l logged it to the PC over the TeamViewer with alternative 3g USB modem (connected directly to the PC USB port) and started checking all things. I definitely tried that option and was waiting for about 5-10 minutes but no joy. The option itself is a bit unclear. So if l set the timer like 00(minutes):30 (seconds) doest it mean my connection is going to be tear down every 30 seconds regardless if I am currently connected or not, or this option only applies when you do not have an active connection so it will force to reconnect? I will give another go and report back here.

Thank you,
Mykhaylo
myky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi @LOM,

I did another test. So l rebooted the router and was waiting for about 10 minutes but 3G USB modem was not recognised, so same as was before. Force Reconnect didn't change the situation either. This time l have decided to disable/enable Core USB Support option under a Services, USB option. That also did a trick (logs attached) and modem come up as connected. Can l have some sort of CRON job or script so it will trigger the USB core services restart (disable/enable) after let's say 2 minutes of router uptime or during the boot?

Any thoughts welcome!

Thank you,
Mykhaylo

3G.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.31 KB
 Viewed:  3761 Time(s)

3G.PNG

new dmesg.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  new dmesg.txt
 Filesize:  9.89 KB
 Downloaded:  396 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: