Excluding specific divices from VPN

steveyal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 19:07    Post subject: Excluding specific divices from VPN Reply with quote
Hello all,

New in town. Just flashed a brand new out of the Netgear R7000 dropped on PIA VPN and I'm off. Sorry, may be commonplace for you guys...but I'm damned proud of myself : )

Anyway, now to my question. I have some devices like a Tivo Roamio and some Roku boxes that I don't want covered by the VPN basically because my Hulu subscription no longer works.

Is there any way I can get these devices out from under the thumb of my VPN while leaving all of my other gear protected?

Secondly, if there is a way, will I have problems using Plex as the computers with the content will remain protected by the VPN?

Thanks in advance - Steve
Sponsor
Kadigan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
chris_dorian wrote:
(...) if you need to protect your gear, you should configure a VPN client on each of them.

I'm afraid that might not be so simple on embedded/stand-alone devices. Also, this request is perfectly valid, and there's a perfectly valid solution.

If you don't take careful care to make sure you're not leaking any traffic when the VPN is down (for whatever reason), you're under the illusion of security. Slapping a VPN over your network doesn't automatically protect you.

That said, you can exclude devices from routing via VPN. Please see https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Policy_Based_Routing on the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: